Salute To All Vets

Advertisement
Veterans-Day-thank-you-1-e1541081730927.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I wonder how all the Vets that are homeless or struggling to pay bills due to some sort of mental or physical disability feel about Veterans Day? 🤔

Advertisement
Thank you all who served! Some of you young bloods may not have heard of Rocky Bleier, he got drafted twice in 1968, by the Steelers and the U.S. Army, almost died in Vietnam, fought back for the Steelers run of Super Bowl victories.

Thank you all who served! Some of you young bloods may not have heard of Rocky Bleier, he got drafted twice in 1968, by the Steelers and the U.S. Army, almost died in Vietnam, fought back for the Steelers run of Super Bowl victories.

This jogged my memory....yes, there's a UM connection. I'd known this for years....Rocky's uncle Ted was an early UM football player...read down about half-way

http://www.helmethut.com/College/Miami/UM5057.html

We actually have had a few UM football players who became UM football players after their military service. One was Frank Reinhart, an elderly DE who played the other DE position from Ben Rizzo on the early '60's George Mira-led teams. I think Frank was playing for us at the age of 28.

I have a dim recollection that fullback Freddy Highsmith, from Jacksonville and Alonzo's cousin, was a veteran.

Patrick Riley, DT in early '90's, we into Air Force I believe after finishing at UM. I am sure there were quite a few others.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back