Salt may still be coming

If kids want to come here they need to work in the classroom, nothing wrong with that.

True. But kid scored a 22. Thats not half bad. He alo has a 2.3 GPA. That has to be good enough to get in.

A 2.3 GPA is not overly impressive, the test score is fine, but that GPA would be a hindrance at UM. Glad that Golden is doing due dilligence on the transcripts before kids even come on visits.

Advertisement
For so long, I keep hearing about our players lacking "football smarts."

Uh, maybe the lack of "football smarts" isn't the only lack of smarts.

C'mon. We don't need dummies.

They should all know what they need to do in high school, and it says a lot about a young man's character if in the ninth hour, he obviously didn't do any planning or preparation.

This is a double edged sword for sure...if a kid's grades aren't good enough, or if he decides that he's going to take Underwater Basket Weaving and The History of **** 101, then what does that tell you about his character and work ethic? Do you really want to take a chance on a kid that has proven that he has no motivation to work hard?

But then...don't kids deserve the opportunity for a second chance sometimes, for the opportunity to be given an exception so that they can play the sport that they are so gifted at (and makes the University money) - it won't work every time, but with a motivator as a HC, and with the academic tools at their disposal, maybe just maybe a kid will seize the bull by the horns and work hard and get his degree.

Just seems like UM is not willing to take the chances most of these other schools are. Right or wrong? I dunno how to answer that question.

Some kids just make no bones about the fact that they don't care about the books and are really just there to meet the manadatory 3 years out of high school rule. Some great players over the years have done exactly what you determined to be "character" and work ethic issues. Don't ever confuse hitting the books and effort on the field. They are and always will be seperate issues.

Andre Johnson, Devin Hester, and Willis are just a few examples of players who had tremedous work ethic but couldn't care less about class room work.

something isn't right

They didn't have their paperwork in order to OV miami but they have their paperwork in order to Visit Cal-Berkley? uhhhhh.....no

Advertisement
Did they graduate from a Junior College in California? If so, getting into UC Berkeley (especially as an athlete) isn't as hard as you might think.

something isn't right

They didn't have their paperwork in order to OV miami but they have their paperwork in order to Visit Cal-Berkley? uhhhhh.....no

Intredasting

+1 The California UC system is uniquely set up to accommodate transfers from California JC's.

Thousands of kids make the transfer every year. Because of severe overcrowding at the UC's and Cal State Universities, California is turning more and more to using its JC's to handle the first two years and then transfer to one of the four year universities to finish.

Salt made his trip out to Berkeley after running into a bit of difficulty in getting his trip out to Miami squared away, so his main recruiter -- Tosh Lupoi -- prevailed upon the 6-foot-3, 330-pound four-star JuCo star out of Mt. SAC to come up north, instead.

"Miami, things got kind of mixed up. They wanted my transcripts, so I sent my transcripts in, but they got them and they said that they couldn't read them or something," Salt said. "So, it was already too late. The Miami coaches told us to either come next week or the following week, so I came to Cal instead."

Advertisement
Man we need this dude.

Especially considering we have a .000000000001% at Goldman.

I don't think our odds at landing Salt are much different than Goldman's.
Massive long-shot with this guy as well.

Te odds with a juco are much better than with Goldman. Salt may want to stay out west, be we actually offer him something attractive.

Advertisement
i cant count on all my fingers from over the past few years the stud DTs coming in to visit and we never land them. when we got Forston i remember thinking... finally.. we got one.

yep.

Golden has time to straighten some stuff out. Don't have bowl game distractions.

Advertisement
We are going to close with 4 guys nobody has heard of.

Its kinda looking that way. I cant say I fault coach Golden for doing it this way. Given the roster holes and that he has to sell a 6-6 team with no bowl game and possible sanctions. Dude needs bodies and has to take 'em where he can find 'em.

The overall class is solid already, just keep it and close with some athletic longshots. That's all we can really expect at this moment in time for the program.

It's amazing the predicament we're in at DT and CB. Unbelievable.

It's downright flabbergasting and scary at the same time. The rest of the roster doesn't look all that bad, but those are 2 spots where we are thin on quzlity numbers and players that can contribute next season.

Advertisement
Back