Sacks Per Game - Last 14 Years

thebutcher

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Last year we had our best season in Sacks/Game since 2004, when we finished 3rd in the nation. We were 23rd last year.

Could only find 14 years of data - Breakdown of us vs. the national leader below:

-FSU 3.9
-Miami 2.8
-Bama 3.8
-Miami 1.8
-Utah 4.2
-Miami 2.0
-Louisville 3.2
-Miami 2.1
-ASU 4.2
-Miami 0.9
-Texas A&M 3.9
-Miami 1.6
-WVU 3.8
-Miami 2.4
-Pitt 3.5
-Miami 1.7
-Texas 3.5
-Miami 2.3
-Miami OH 5.5
-Miami 2.6
-WMU 3.5
-Miami 2.6
-Oklahoma/Rutgers 3.8
-Miami 2.2
-USC 3.7
-Miami 3.2
-USC 4.2
-Miami 2.8

With our stable of DEs, another year of being in the system, and Diaz/Kool coaching em up, it feels like we should at least be over 3 a game (39+ for the season) this year.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Last year we had our best season in Sacks/Game since 2004, when we finished 3rd in the nation. We were 23rd last year.

Could only find 14 years of data - Breakdown of us vs. the national leader below:

-FSU 3.9
-Miami 2.8
-Bama 3.8
-Miami 1.8
-Utah 4.2
-Miami 2.0
-Louisville 3.2
-Miami 2.1
-ASU 4.2
-Miami 0.9
-Texas A&M 3.9
-Miami 1.6
-WVU 3.8
-Miami 2.4
-Pitt 3.5
-Miami 1.7
-Texas 3.5
-Miami 2.3
-Miami OH 5.5
-Miami 2.6
-WMU 3.5
-Miami 2.6
-Oklahoma/Rutgers 3.8
-Miami 2.2
-USC 3.7
-Miami 3.2
-USC 4.2
-Miami 2.8

With our stable of DEs, another year of being in the system, and Diaz/Kool coaching em up, it feels like we should at least be over 3 a game (39+ for the season) this year.

Thoughts?

Wow. Simply, wow.

Advertisement
I'd like to see how any of this correlates with the fact that teams throw it more than they did 10 years ago.

Opens up some discussion, thanks OP.

Advertisement
Every Cane fan who endured watching 2011-2015 deserves a medal of honor.

F'in disgusting philosophy.

Advertisement
Sack numbers are nice but I try not to read too much into the national leaders in sacks. There's been plenty of defenses that have loaded up on sacks and TFLs because they blitz constantly and leave their secondaries ripe for the picking.

I prefer the old eye test where you can actually see how disruptive the defense is. Are they getting consistent pressure without having to bring the house every down? Can they get pressure on the quarterback without leaving defensive backs defenseless? When they do blitz is it calculated and well masked or are they bringing guys just to bring guys?

Also, sack numbers often have a direct correlation with the amount of pass heavy opponents you play. One game against a team like Georgia Tech, who rarely passes and runs as few plays as possible can skew the entire season's numbers. Tackling the QB behind the line on a designed run play doesn't count as a sack.

Sack numbers are nice but I try not to read too much into the national leaders in sacks. There's been plenty of defenses that have loaded up on sacks and TFLs because they blitz constantly and leave their secondaries ripe for the picking.

I prefer the old eye test where you can actually see how disruptive the defense is. Are they getting consistent pressure without having to bring the house every down? Can they get pressure on the quarterback without leaving defensive backs defenseless? When they do blitz is it calculated and well masked or are they bringing guys just to bring guys?

Also, sack numbers often have a direct correlation with the amount of pass heavy opponents you play. One game against a team like Georgia Tech, who rarely passes and runs as few plays as possible can skew the entire season's numbers. Tackling the QB behind the line on a designed run play doesn't count as a sack.

This is true. A pac 12 team will artificially have higher sack numbers because many of those teams pass 40-50 times a game.

Advertisement

This is true. A pac 12 team will artificially have higher sack numbers because many of those teams pass 40-50 times a game.

It really makes that 2015 Bama defense even more impressive playing in a slow it down, run the ball conference.

Every Cane fan who endured watching 2011-2015 deserves a medal of honor.

F'in disgusting philosophy.

I lost 4 t.v. sets through those miserable years!! Trowig your remote control at the t.v. (after watching someone ru through the L.O.S. and rumble 30+ yds dann near untouched), doesn't work out too well for the flat screen!!

Advertisement
Back