Saban Retires Due To Landscape He helped create

Advertisement
So lemme get this straight:

Since the advent of the transfer portal (2019), & NIL (2021), Saban who’s been a whiny cranky old fart well b4 then, have pulled in the:

2019 - #1 overall class
2020 - #2 overall class
2021 - #1 overall class
2022 - #2 overall class
2023 - #1 overall class
2024 - #2 overall class

He’s been the CFP 4 of the last 6 yrs, 3 of the last 6 Nat’l Title Games, & 1 Nat’l title since this new era of CFB, but he quit b/c he was afraid of this new era of CFB?? Lol

If anyone has paid attention, Nick has went from the stoic, “F u” Coach, to a much more engaging, jolly coach these last few yrs. If anyone paid attention, he’s been setting himself up for retirement for a while. He has no health issues, but he said himself he sat in his office & realized he couldn’t give 100% like he once did, so he made the decision to retire.

He had issues w/ this new era, ****, he had issues when CFB became a passing league, catering to the O, but he adjusted. IMHO, I thought he would’ve been a Paterno or Bowden, but folks around the program thought he was going to hang it up last yr b/c he just didn’t have that intensity like yrs prior. The playing field has not evened out; UGA & Bama have steadily been the poster children of HS recruiting; we were the poster child of both the portal & NIL, and that still didn’t stop the machines.

Last edited:

Since the advent of the transfer portal (2019), & NIL (2021), Saban who’s been a whiny cranky old fart well b4 then, have pulled in the:

2019 - #1 overall class
2020 - #2 overall class
2021 - #1 overall class
2022 - #2 overall class
2023 - #1 overall class
2024 - #2 overall class

He’s been the CFP 4 of the last 6 yrs, 3 of the last 6 Nat’l Title Games, & 1 Nat’l title since this new era of CFB, & he quit b/c he was afraid of this new era of CFB?? Lol

If anyone has paid attention, Nick has went from the stoic, “F u” Coach, to a much more engaging, jolly coach these last few yrs. If anyone paid attention, he’s been setting himself up for retirement for a while. He has no health issues, but he said himself he sat in his office & realized he couldn’t give 100% like he once did, so he made the decision to retire.

He had issues w/ this new era, ****, he had issues when CFB became a passing league, catering to the O, but he adjusted. IMHO, I thought he would’ve been a Paterno or Bowden, but folks around the program thought he was going to hang it up last yr b/c he just didn’t have that intensity like yrs prior. The playing field has not evened out; UGA & Bama have steadily been the poster children of HS recruiting; we were the poster child of both the portal & NIL, and that still didn’t stop the machines.
This pretty much nails all of it. He went from being relieved when he won a natty to talking about how proud of his guys he was, when they lost games. The fire wasn’t there on the sidelines these past couple years either. The writing has been on the wall since 22.

Yeah, sure that was totally it, and had nothing to do with his age or anything else at all.

For reference: Mack Brown would've been the only active coach of similar age.

Even without the "advantage" his team still beat the #1 team in the country and won its conference. The team that won the Natty had to go to OT with his team and squeak out a win without the "advantage".
I know a lot of you guys hate him, but he's the undisputed GOAT. SabagDaGawd.

EDIT: forgot to mention: even without his "advantage" and with Bama's poor NIL, he still got a top 2 class. This whole narrative needs to die.
Not my GOAT #Cheater

Advertisement
Yeah I disagree. He left six years and $72 million on the table and had no real health issue outside of "the grind".

Him seeing an even playing field and Bama falling behind NIL wise and transfer portal allowing mid teams to catch up faster absolutely was a driver into his retirement.
View attachment 280248View attachment 280248

When your own 247 writers are telling you that NIL is a problem for Bama ... I think it's worth some consideration. Just a thought.
My guy, there were level playing fields in the bag department too. Georgia and LSU made the same bag deals as Bama, in fact, every SEC team that tried to be somewhat competitive took bags to the next level. To pretend that Bama had some form of secret advantage that no one else had with bag recruitment is not really accurate. Bama never had an advantage in bags.

Saban is 72. Using "the grind" is not an excuse, coaching is 70+ hours of work every week for the whole season. Saban said, before NIL was a deal, in a talk with Belichick that the grind of coaching is not the same anymore as it was compared to ten years prior.

I'm not even sure what we're doing here, people are questioning why a 72 year old with close to three decades of head coaching experience, 50 years being in the business as an assistant minimum and seven national titles can't just hang it up.

No, it has to be because Bama doesn't have an advantage anymore. Like, tf are we doing here? 9/10 times the answer is pretty **** obvious, people don't have to construct something that sounds smart in their head.

My guy, there were level playing fields in the bag department too. Georgia and LSU made the same bag deals as Bama, in fact, every SEC team that tried to be somewhat competitive took bags to the next level. To pretend that Bama had some form of secret advantage that no one else had with bag recruitment is not really accurate. Bama never had an advantage in bags.

Saban is 72. Using "the grind" is not an excuse, coaching is 70+ hours of work every week for the whole season. Saban said, before NIL was a deal, in a talk with Belichick that the grind of coaching is not the same anymore as it was compared to ten years prior.

I'm not even sure what we're doing here, people are questioning why a 72 year old with close to three decades of head coaching experience, 50 years being in the business as an assistant minimum and seven national titles can't just hang it up.

No, i

No, it has to be because Bama doesn't have an advantage anymore. Like, tf are we doing here? 9/10 times the answer is pretty **** obvious, people don't have to construct something that sounds smart in their head.
To say that the change in the game didn’t wear him down more and play apart in his decision is unfair as well.

But I think there is a “good” feeling about how much disdain he had for the changing landscape of CFB. The irony of him whining about it, when the article is absolutely correct he started the dissolution of amateurism in CFB by not only running his program like a pro team but utilized his legal excess $ on state of the art facilities, S&C, the money spent on unlimited “special analyst” coaches.

Then having the NCAA completely turn a blind eye to the bag game, but the most blatant and outrageous; the benefits for family members and vehicles the kids blatantly flashed.

It makes a very easy target to cast as the villain and have satisfaction with all the struggles/whining he went through.

Bama did keep recruiting at the highest level but it isn’t as easy plus recruiting ur own roster and now a bag and a hellcat ain’t enough saban was too old for the grind and also the playing field was leveling.
Parody is coming to the sport he saw it and didn’t want to have to put the work in. The college schedule for coaches is insane now

Advertisement
Really if every thing is even u pick saban? I would take Urban. I’m no urban fan but that man would win every where he went
Well, maybe not EVERYWHERE…

1706024242150.jpeg

2019 - #1 overall class
2020 - #2 overall class
2021 - #1 overall class
2022 - #2 overall class
2023 - #1 overall class
2024 - #2 overall class

LOL, the 2019 Bama team had Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Metchie, & Harris at RB, all of those guys committed before NIL, no way in h e l l does Bama get all of those guys if NIL was a thing back then. H e l l Saban was cryin', b!tchin' & moanin' about a WR recruit asking for $2M and ending up at Tennessee in His post retirement interview.

LOL, the 2019 Bama team had Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Metchie, & Harris at RB, all of those guys committed before NIL, no way in h e l l does Bama get all of those guys if NIL was a thing back then. H e l l Saban was cryin', b!tchin' & moanin' about a WR recruit asking for $2M and ending up at Tennessee in His post retirement interview.

I literally just laid out his classes, & this is ur rebuttal?

& on to off that, u’re wrong in ur rebuttal! Lmao
Jeudy, Ruggs, & Smith were Class of 2017, BEFORE the transfer portal. Metchie was 2019 during the transfer portal. The point being despite how CFB have changed w/ NIL & the transfer portal, Saban nor Bama skipped a beat in recruiting or winning.

U’re reaching; the landscape of CFB frustrated him, that’s well known, but that’s not why he retired. His demeanor started changing in 2021, & folks around thought he would be retiring in 2022.

Advertisement

Jeudy, Ruggs, & Smith were Class of 2017, BEFORE the transfer portal. Metchie was 2019 during the transfer portal. The point being despite how CFB have changed w/ NIL & the transfer portal, Saban nor Bama skipped a beat in recruiting or winning.

U’re reaching; the landscape of CFB frustrated him, that’s well known, but that’s not why he retired. His demeanor started changing in 2021, & folks around thought he would be retiring in 2022.
And you don’t think Kirby and his ability to duplicate exactly what Saban did at BAMA with the facilities, S&C program, unlimited analysts, while being able to play his same bag game in a better HS football hotbed and

All the OPs article indicates is that a part (no one but Saban can know for sure) of the reason for retiring was he was no longer in love with coaching the game the way he used to. You indicated something changed…. That something was absolutely part of the NIL changing landscape in CFB.

Saban is a total control freak and narcissist. Him not receiving GOD like loyalty from prospective high school athletes and players on his team who could transfer for $ made him absolutely bitter.

The OP pointing out the irony behind this… considering him basically running Alabama as the 33rd NFL team is fun for those who despise Saban.

All the rest is just hyperbole.

Advertisement
Saban hate is some good comedy if you were to cross reference “but Mario learned from the best” or “Mario didn’t turn his back on Miami, he went to coach with Saban” or “he has a house in Florida so sweet Jesus please let him come slap some sense into one of the worst game day coaches in the country”

Yeah I disagree. He left six years and $72 million on the table and had no real health issue outside of "the grind".

Him seeing an even playing field and Bama falling behind NIL wise and transfer portal allowing mid teams to catch up faster absolutely was a driver into his retirement.
View attachment 280248View attachment 280248

When your own 247 writers are telling you that NIL is a problem for Bama ... I think it's worth some consideration. Just a thought.
“Saban discount my ***” he was able to use that later on after they built the powerhouse already. Here we go with the they broke stories to clean up their image. Wasn’t he the one saying Bryce Young was the first million dollar player

2019 - #1 overall class
2020 - #2 overall class
2021 - #1 overall class
2022 - #2 overall class
2023 - #1 overall class
2024 - #2 overall class

He’s been the CFP 4 of the last 6 yrs, 3 of the last 6 Nat’l Title Games, & 1 Nat’l title since this new era of CFB, but he quit b/c he was afraid of this new era of CFB?? Lol

Leave it up to the Rellsta to bring a sensible take to a silly discussion and hatin *** P.o.v.

I lm not sure what type of igneous boulder Cane fans live under but, NEWSFLASH, the entire CFB fan landscape thinks the hurricanes, were and still are, the biggest cheaters 🤣🤣

Advertisement
Back