Saban Retires Due To Landscape He helped create

Advertisement
Yeah, sure that was totally it, and had nothing to do with his age or anything else at all.

For reference: Mack Brown would've been the only active coach of similar age.

Even without the "advantage" his team still beat the #1 team in the country and won its conference. The team that won the Natty had to go to OT with his team and squeak out a win without the "advantage".
I know a lot of you guys hate him, but he's the undisputed GOAT. SabagDaGawd.

EDIT: forgot to mention: even without his "advantage" and with Bama's poor NIL, he still got a top 2 class. This whole narrative needs to die.

Yeah, sure that was totally it, and had nothing to do with his age or anything else at all.

For reference: Mack Brown would've been the only active coach older than him.

Even without the "advantage" his team still beat the #1 team in the country and won its conference. The team that won the Natty had to go to OT with his team and squeak out a win without the "advantage".
Yeah I disagree. He left six years and $72 million on the table and had no real health issue outside of "the grind".

Him seeing an even playing field and Bama falling behind NIL wise and transfer portal allowing mid teams to catch up faster absolutely was a driver into his retirement.
IMG_6949.jpeg
IMG_6949.jpeg

When your own 247 writers are telling you that NIL is a problem for Bama ... I think it's worth some consideration. Just a thought.

Advertisement
Yeah I disagree. He left six years and $72 million on the table and had no real health issue outside of "the grind".

Him seeing an even playing field and Bama falling behind NIL wise and transfer portal allowing mid teams to catch up faster absolutely was a driver into his retirement.
View attachment 280248View attachment 280248
I agree that it was one of his grievances, but see my above post. Even with Bama's poor NIL he was still recruiting at the top. You did see a lot of the bigger money schools start stealing guys, but he was still raking in talent.

I agree that it was one of his grievances, but see my above post. Even with Bama's poor NIL he was still recruiting at the top. You did see a lot of the bigger money schools start stealing guys, but he was still raking in talent.
Sure and I admitted as such in the article.

EDIT: forgot to mention: even without his "advantage" and with Bama's poor NIL, he still got a top 2 class. This whole narrative needs to die.
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

When your own 247 writers are telling you that NIL is a problem for Bama ... I think it's worth some consideration. Just a thought.

Bama's NIL might not be the best. However, their brown bag game, cars from local dealerships, temporary housing, and jobs for relatives still ******* top notch.

Advertisement

It makes zero sense that they should be having NIL problems. They are awash in booster money. None of them want to do it above board?

The fact that you proclaim that POS as a diety leads me to believe that you enjoy the feel of men's buttocks pressed against your groin.

Advertisement
once the legal means to compensate players outpaced his advantage of compensation by deceit, then all of a sudden, his age became an issue.

how convenient.

he has a method and capacity for coaching that excels in college, and even without having the most well oiled machine to circumvent the rules at his disposal, would have been very successful as a college head coach. 6 natty's? maybe not, but 2 or 3 were never out of the realm of possibility at Alabama.

as the college game has metastacized into an NFL look alike (free agency, payrolls, agents, short term contracts, GM's etc.), he needed to go, as he failed as an NFL HC. and he knew he couldn't succeed in professional football. which is why he never returned. having college become another form of the NFL was never going to be a good fit for him, and never an environment where he would see extended success. having a nice win over Georgia as a last hurrah doesn't count. even he saw it as the last act of Henry V.

so to saban I say: "congrats. you figured out how to work the system, and win lots of college football games. now, adios you motherfu*ker"

Interesting take that the CFB “climate” Saban created/contributed to his “demise”. It may very well have had some impact on his decision to retire (and he **** sure wouldn’t admit it) but I believe the “grind” and his age was the most compelling factors.

It’s certainly going to interesting to see if Deboer can keep the tide rolling and just how much other programs, including Miami, have closed the gap.

Advertisement
That's exactly what happened.

For decades - Alabama has had the best semi-pro football team in America.

Yeah - he left money on the table - but to save his reputation. He already has plenty of money - and now that other teams could do the same thing only a few college teams could get away with in the past - he knew he had no advantage anymore.

So. Save your reputation, avoid more and more losses having to play on a more "level" playing field - avoid rabid Alabama fans ranting against you as your string of championships were gone, and enjoy some of that money you made - all the time maintaining your reputation.

I agree with OP, but the grind is much harder now than it was three years ago. Not only do you have to recruit players out of high school, you have to continue to recruit them every time the portal opens because they could leave any time the portal opens. That has to be tiring.

And fu&k Saban and Alabama right in the puzzy.

Advertisement
Back