Saban: Players lose by entering NFL draft early

Advertisement
And like clockwork, at the end of next season 4 or so Canes underclassman will come out after being told they will be 2nd, 3rd or 4th round selections only to be drafted in the last few rounds, or not drafted at all!

And this will happen despite example after example of Canes players who were fed the same horseshyt and are now asking folks if they want fries with their burgers.

Hopefully, Manny will figure this out and save those kids from themselves. I would like to suggest that Manny consider hiring Guido from the X, Y or Z New York family to take any agent pulling this hustle on a Paulie like drive... Oh, Paulie (Drew Rosenhaus)...won't see him no more!

Advertisement
He's exactly right about this.
These kids are promised much more than they are given and the agents just move on to the next one. Of course if the players make it to their 2nd contract than they remain in the portfolio...its a crazy business

And like clockwork, at the end of next season 4 or so Canes underclassman will come out after being told they will be 2nd, 3rd or 4th round selections only to be drafted in the last few rounds, or not drafted at all!

And this will happen despite example after example of Canes players who were fed the same horseshyt and are now asking folks if they want fries with their burgers.

Hopefully, Manny will figure this out and save those kids from themselves. I would like to suggest that Manny consider hiring Guido from the X, Y or Z New York family to take any agent pulling this hustle on a Paulie like drive... Oh, Paulie (Drew Rosenhaus)...won't see him no more!
Let’s not forget the kids who’re told they’ll be late round picks at best, and still leave.

You’re right tho, should talk to some “friends of ours” about keeping the slime away from Greentree. It’s not Rosenhaus who we gotta worry about tho.... it’s @Peter Ariz whose the problem.

Saban has his own interests, no doubt, but he has his facts straight. These kids are sold on getting into the league, and getting the "second contract." They overlook the angle that staying in college for an extra year you can effectively earn second contract money. And, it's at a lower risk of injury playing one more college season versus two to three in the NFL.

Advertisement

Boom, 100%, it’s the same recruiting bullshyt stories that had these kids salivating about exposure and playing time. But now it’s about money and future income. I agree with Saban in that the education about the realities of playing at the next level should start with the college recruiting process, and continue thru the players time at school.Reality can be a harsh lesson,don’t exacerbate it by throwing your opportunity to get a college degree.

Let’s not forget the kids who’re told they’ll be late round picks at best, and still leave.

You’re right tho, should talk to some “friends of ours” about keeping the slime away from Greentree. It’s not Rosenhaus who we gotta worry about tho.... it’s @Peter Ariz whose the problem.

I agree with you 100%.

Rosenhaus doesn't waste time with guys who can’t be potential 1st rounders. It’s the pond ***** and bottom fishers like @Peter Ariz that are insidious and destructive.

On the main topic of the OP, Saban is the foulest stench of dirtbag there is.... but on this issue?

He’s not wrong.

I agree with you 100%.

Rosenhaus doesn't waste time with guys who can’t be potential 1st rounders. It’s the pond ***** and bottom fishers like @Peter Ariz that are insidious and destructive.

On the main topic of the OP, Saban is the foulest stench of dirtbag there is.... but on this issue?

He’s not wrong.
Yep

Advertisement
You look at guys like Norton last year. Leaving without getting drafted. Boulware this year and it doesn’t make a lot of sense. You get a top 3 round grade and I understand leaving early. Saban isn’t wrong on this one. If you’re a running back maybe it is better to leave with a top 5 round grade.

Let’s see what happens with Joe Jackson I’d be surprised if he’s taken in the top 3 rounds. Would he have been better served having one more year in school, most likely.

Prolly makes sense for a guy w a later round grade to leave early if the next year his position group will be deeper.

Advertisement
This is a simplified, damaging, and unrealistic way to look at things.

Example - look at the RB's the could've gone pro last year but came back:

Rodney Anderson - Torn ACL in 2nd game
Bryce Love - Had a down year before tearing his ACL in the 10th game
Myles Gaskin - Senior year was his worst by far
LJ Scott - Injured all year. Played in 5 games. Worst year by far

All 4 hurt their draft stock by returning.

Talking heads are always quick to mention players that improved their draft stock by coming back. But that's far from a given.

They rarely mention those who hurt themselves by coming back - which happens just as often.

This is a simplified, damaging, and unrealistic way to look at things.

Example - look at the RB's the could've gone pro last year but came back:

Rodney Anderson - Torn ACL in 2nd game
Bryce Love - Had a down year before tearing his ACL in the 10th game
Myles Gaskin - Senior year was his worst by far
LJ Scott - Injured all year. Played in 5 games. Worst year by far

All 4 hurt their draft stock by returning.

Talking heads are always quick to mention players that improved their draft stock by coming back. But that's far from a given.

They rarely mention those who hurt themselves by coming back - which happens just as often.

Or players that saw no change but instead played another year for free.

Some kids will hurt their stock. Some will help. For the majority, it makes no difference, and they knew that when they declared.

You think Manny didn't tell Norton and McIntosh that?

Advertisement
Back