Saban has retired.

Advertisement
The meteor was NIL and unlimited transfers.

1715642989158.png

Advertisement
Didn’t he retire w/ Bama having the #1 class for the 2024 cycle?

Yep. And if NIL was truly the reason then why was his 2025 class also at the time of retirement on pace to being another record breaking class prior to all the de commitments post retirement?

I don’t think Deboer long term can match Saban but I think as a coach he’s very underrated and as a recruiter as well. Still think they win a couple titles in the next 6-7 years. It won’t just be a year and a drop off like our Coker disaster. He also has the best defensive staff he’s ever had as well. Womack (their dc) has been excellent wherever he’s been.

Happy to be wrong but Deboer is going to be a lot better there than people think.

Yep. And if NIL was truly the reason then why was his 2025 class also at the time of retirement on pace to being another record breaking class prior to all the de commitments post retirement?

I don’t think Deboer long term can match Saban but I think as a coach he’s very underrated and as a recruiter as well. Still think they win a couple titles in the next 6-7 years. It won’t just be a year and a drop off like our Coker disaster. He also has the best defensive staff he’s ever had as well. Womack (their dc) has been excellent wherever he’s been.

Happy to be wrong but Deboer is going to be a lot better there than people think.

U’re preaching to the choir.

Advertisement
It’s not about attracting the #1 class. It’s about recruiting that same class so that they stay for 2025 and 2026.

Look how quickly A&M’s lauded 2023 class attritted away.

I think there’s merits to what u’re saying, as w/ many coaches, not just Saban, they r hopping ship to the NFL. Even in the women’s game, HC r leaving or retiring out the blue.

However, my point is the way Saban recruited, & the way they used the portal didn’t stop the machine. From what I understand, he had been flirting w/ retirement after the 2020 season. (The last Nat’l Title) It was commented that his demeanor had changed, was becoming more jovial to opposing players & coaches which was unusual.

I’m sure the change of landscape pushed him over, but that’s not the reason. Lastly, pls don’t compare A&M to Bama ever. Lol.

I think there’s merits to what u’re saying, as w/ many coaches, not just Saban, they r hopping ship to the NFL. Even in the women’s game, HC r leaving or retiring out the blue.

However, my point is the way Saban recruited, & the way they used the portal didn’t stop the machine. From what I understand, he had been flirting w/ retirement after the 2020 season. (The last Nat’l Title) It was commented that his demeanor had changed, was becoming more jovial to opposing players & coaches which was unusual.

I’m sure the change of landscape pushed him over, but that’s not the reason. Lastly, pls don’t compare A&M to Bama ever. Lol.
From a recruiting standpoint in 2023 they were comparable. And the challenges they and any other team with highly ranked players face are the same…they have to be recruited over and over again, with periodic NIL raises given to ensure that they do not depart. It’s a factor that didn’t exist five years ago.

That aside, Saban probably was getting tired of the grind..:and what more worlds were left to conquer. Aside from possibly not knowing what to do with himself upon retirement, why should he stay? If he began to become relaxed, it was probably because he kept telling himself this year was the last year.

Advertisement
Back