S Avantae Williams sets UM official visit date

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
It seems the Canes will be getting another talented defensive back on campus when the dead period ends next week.

Sources with knowledge of the recruitment have told CanesInSight that 2020 Deland (FL) 4-star S Avantae Williams is planning to take an official visit to Miami on January 17th weekend. Originally, Williams was scheduled to play in the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii during that time, but I'm told he has cancelled those those plans and will be on campus in Coral Gables instead next weekend. The Canes will also play host to fast-rising 2020 CB Ennis Rakestraw from Duncanville (TX) and St. Paul's Episcopal (AL) OT Brady Ward that same weekend.

The source also says Williams has locked in a visit with UGA on the final weekend before the February signing day, so the Deland star will be in Athens for January 31st weekend; Williams had previously scheduled an official visit to Florida the week of January 24th and that visit is still on.

At the Opening Orlando Regional in February, the 5-11 170 pound Williams recorded a 4.52 40-yard dash, a 4.25 shuttle time, and a 36.20 inch vertical leap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Everybody think he’s going to Florida cause LO is there but I bet the bag boys at Georgia will get him it’s odd he canceled a free trip to Hawaii to visit Miami, so I guess that’s something

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think he’s DevonteSmithing us. Set his official, claim he’s coming for it, and make us a terrible excuse like “I have a basketball game tonight”, and don’t even show up. Then again... WE CAN ALL BE WRONG ABOUT GUY.

If the staff is not smart enough to know he is playing games, then that's on them. If he is not and there is only small chance, you still give him the visit. The Portal forces coaches to keep relationships in tact for the long term benefits. You might not land that fish today, but keep him on the line and possibly land him later. Case in point is that CB that went to Florida last year but checked out as soon as possible. The second place team in his recruitment landed him after the fact.

Advertisement
His children, yes plural situation, makes it hard for me to believe he’d actually come to Miami. UF because they’re closer to home or UGA because it’s a decision that “best” for him and his family.

Advertisement
Back