Ryan Leaf on his OV to Miami

We used to drop (literally) Bryce on his own front lawn before midnight on a typical Friday night, passed out and covered in his own puke. His dad used to get similarly dropped off after getting cut off at the Old Cutler Inn. I'm amazed either of them still have a liver.

Dave Scott's job ... well, one of them at least, .... was to make sure the vodka, glasses, and ice bucket were set up in Dennis' hotel room on road trips for when he arrived.

That was one serious alchy family.

Of course, Dennis getting his weekly ******* on wednesday nights in the parking lot of the logggerhead is another story altogether.

Advertisement
Great clip. For having as many drug issues for as long as he's had, Leaf has a pretty great memory (despite the small errors like on Rohan Marley). Kinda crazy that his first drink ever was at the old Dan Marino's spot. The only thing this was missing from this was a mention of The Tavern.

Dave Scott's job ... well, one of them at least, .... was to make sure the vodka, glasses, and ice bucket were set up in Dennis' hotel room on road trips for when he arrived.

That was one serious alchy family.

Of course, Dennis getting his weekly ******* on wednesday nights in the parking lot of the logggerhead is another story altogether.
Man what a time to be alive.

Advertisement
Price succeeded Dennis Erickson, who recommended him for the job. Price never coached under Dennis, but they were good friends, having been high school teammates. I suspect that both had the same philosophy as far as sophisticated passing attacks. I think Dennis might have coached under Jack Elway at some point, and I think Elway was a west coast passing offense guru. The last year he was at WSU, Dennis had Timm Rosenbach and two 1000 yard runners, Steve Broussard and Rich Swinton.

I have a feeling, without researching it, that it was very likely that Price had a very similar philosophy to Dennis.

I think they also had a very similar philosophy on alcohol.

No s*it. It was that bad and obvious with both of them?

I got into Erickson's party directly after the 1990 Sugar Bowl. Wish I still had the pics.

Yes, it was that bad and that obvious with Dennis. I was a few years older than Bryce, so I can't speak to that one personally.

Yes. Dennis had another hangout in the Grove. I forgot what it's called. It was right by the theater. Was easier to get him home from OCI because they lived like a mile away.

I saw him at Taurus on more than a few occasions.

Advertisement
Dude think of Ryan Leaf in college. We definitely would’ve been a top 5 team. Disregard his NFL career. He was a great athlete and great thrower in college.

It was Marshall Faulk that was the big miss from those days... We would have won that Costa game against Nebraska if Faulk was there

Leaf? Natty’s?

Please, he would have been a true freshman in 1994, and played 1995-1998. The probation era. Leaf had far more arm talent than Clement and Covington but his personality at that time mixed a program in a temporary steep decline would not have been a winning combination.

Leaf? Natty’s?

Please, he would have been a true freshman in 1994, and played 1995-1998. The probation era. Leaf had far more arm talent than Clement and Covington but his personality at that time mixed a program in a temporary steep decline would not have been a winning combination.
My thoughts exactly. Leaf’s monster season that shot him up the draft boards was ‘97. He wasn’t gonna do much at UM in ‘97.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. Leaf’s monster season that shot him up the draft boards was ‘97. He was gonna do much at UM in ‘97.
That was the 5-6 team that lost at FSU 47-0.

There were some close games Leaf might have won, like @Pitt and @VT, but he wasn’t going to beat the Noles or Cuse/McNabb.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So we could’ve possibly had Leaf (forget his NFL career; he was a helluva College QB) & Faulk....if only we evaluated them properly?? Sheesh.
Faulk is hindsight is 20/20. EVERYONE missed him, that's how he ended up at San Diego St.

Advertisement
Faulk is hindsight is 20/20. EVERYONE missed him, that's how he ended up at San Diego St.

I don’t care about others; I care about us, and what set us apart was our evaluations. Imo, Erickson kinda tricked that off, and Butch brought it back, only for the 2nd coming of Erickson, Coker, to trick it right off again.

Advertisement
Back