Russell Maryland feature...

I think it might have been Indiana State, but I'm saying that from memory. I'm not sure if it was Russell sending tape to JJ or Hubbard Alexander just learning about him from his extensive contacts in Chicago. Don't forget, Chicago was a regular recruiting hub for UM back in the '80's. That was because of Axe. He also had good contacts in Memphis, which is why we had a run of players from Memphis for a while.

But I don't know for sure how Russell came to UM's attention. I remember recruiting the Chicago area was very tough. Notre Dame was very popular with the Catholic schools. In the 1980's, I recall talking to some Miami alums from the Chicago suburbs. They were Catholics and they told me how popular ND was with the suburban Catholics, not even athletes. It was a very popular school. Of course, with the many Catholic schools playing the best football at the time, ND was very attractive to a lot of the top players. (One that consistently pops into my mind was Chris Zorich, NT for the late '90's Irish. A small Bobby Garcia gave him a hard time in that '89 game.)

In JJ's first year I believe, we had our eyes on some really good players in the Chicago area. We had them all lined up, ready to sign with UM. I believe they were Frank Hartley, a TE. I also think Mel Agee was a DL. (I'm not sure if Moe Gardner was on that list, I think not). Back then, you could not contact a recruit until 9 am on signing day. Coaches would go to meet the recruits personally and have them sign. I heard that when Hubbard walked into the front door at the home of one of the guys he expected to sign (which one I don't know), precisely at 9 am, already sitting inside was Bob Karmelowicz, then the DL coach for Illinois. He already had the prospect, probably Agee, signing.

As you might remember, Bob Karmelowicz was later our DL coach on the '89 team (Orgeron was under him). A friend of mine, a big UM fan, said when Bob was recruiting at UM, he would not have bags of cash with him like he did at Illinois.

Later, when Bob was at UM, I mentioned something about that recruitment where he beat UM, he would only say, "Whew, that was a rough recruiting battle."

This is some good recruiting history, as imperfect and short on facts, as you will get. This will never get written down in a history book. As in so many areas, so much is lost to time. And some things never get committed to paper.
Hubbard...and then later on Curtis Johnson were **** on the recruiting trail....and in all honesty...Butch was even better...When JJ wanted to close on a kid...he sent Butch as the Assassin....

Advertisement
Correct. He was undersized and played for a small program in Chicago and sent a highlight tape to JJ because he desperately wanted to play for the U. Almost unheard of for someone to go under the radar like that today, but it still happens occasionally.
It still happens. There are way too many HS players around the country for the so-called "experts" to see them all.

I'm from Chicago. Maryland's next best offer was Indiana State. And I believe he was quite overweight, not undersized, in HS. Like 6'1, 350.

FWIW he went to Whitney Young, which rarely produces football players. Very good school academically.

Can you imagine Maryland and Cortez Kennedy on the same DL? We got to get back to that kind of dominating talent.

Tez only started for one year. He was a backup his first year. I used to hear that the coaches were telling him that first year ('88) that he could be all-world if he would lose some weight. I guess he did.

Tez supplanted Jimmie Jones(who was a SR) in 1989 as a starter. And Jones ended up getting drafter in the 3rd round and had a good, productive NFL career -- and didn't even start as a senior. That 89 defense is a personal favorite of mine

Advertisement
Man they did him dirty. Russell was always a big guy but the actor who plays him on TV is 5’8” 300 lbs.
DTP it's spinning a story line, not recording history....much of this stuff is scripting for effect, and for continuity for the show.

Cool guy D5810D4D-BCC1-43B0-A40A-14F3DEB9E2AC.jpeg

Advertisement
Back