Russell Maryland feature...

k9cane

Senior
yes, it was 30 years ago he was the overall #1 pick in the NFL Draft. Had a really productive career, and it seems like he's really doing well post-football (which really is no surprise to anyone, he always seemed like a mature individual even as a college student). Great to see him doing well...

Advertisement
Advertisement
IIRC, Russell Maryland was from Chicago. I think his other offer was from Illinois St (not the Illini, but Illinois St, lol, could you imagine the reaction of the board if that took place today?). Miami actually had a few guys from Chi-town, like Andre Brown

Other thing I remember about Maryland (other than his sterling play) was him basically taking Cortez Kennedy under his wing during the off-season in 1989, and helping to turn him from a rather mediocre, overweight rotation player, to a dominantAll-American that was drafted third and became a Pro Football Hall of Famer

Maryland is a great Hurricane, loved the guys from this era...

IIRC, Russell Maryland was from Chicago. I think his other offer was from Illinois St (not the Illini, but Illinois St, lol, could you imagine the reaction of the board if that took place today?). Miami actually had a few guys from Chi-town, like Andre Brown

Other thing I remember about Maryland (other than his sterling play) was him basically taking Cortez Kennedy under his wing during the off-season in 1989, and helping to turn him from a rather mediocre, overweight rotation player, to a dominantAll-American that was drafted third and became a Pro Football Hall of Famer

Correct. He was undersized and played for a small program in Chicago and sent a highlight tape to JJ because he desperately wanted to play for the U. Almost unheard of for someone to go under the radar like that today, but it still happens occasionally.

Advertisement

Tez was better than Maryland...and only was at UM for 2yrs...

Advertisement
Loved that phrase "it was a travelling road show" led by JJ.
Just to hear from Maryland reinforces the fact that our Canes had something Special.
Great guy, and a beast of a player for us and the Cowboys....

Russell went to Whitney Young HS, I believe. A public school. Back then, a lot of the best football was played in the Catholic schools. (Mike Sullivan was from a Catholic school in Chicago).

Yes we used to recruit a fair amount from Chicago. Our late assistant coach, Hubbard Alexander, had connections in Chicago, so he used to recruit the area a lot. We got Russell, Mike Sullivan, Andre Brown, Barry Panfil, Dave Alekna, Alvin Ward, and a number of others.

Advertisement
Tez only started for one year. He was a backup his first year. I used to hear that the coaches were telling him that first year ('88) that he could be all-world if he would lose some weight. I guess he did.
I know that he only started one yr...and he did lose weight...

I think it might have been Indiana State, but I'm saying that from memory. I'm not sure if it was Russell sending tape to JJ or Hubbard Alexander just learning about him from his extensive contacts in Chicago. Don't forget, Chicago was a regular recruiting hub for UM back in the '80's. That was because of Axe. He also had good contacts in Memphis, which is why we had a run of players from Memphis for a while.

But I don't know for sure how Russell came to UM's attention. I remember recruiting the Chicago area was very tough. Notre Dame was very popular with the Catholic schools. In the 1980's, I recall talking to some Miami alums from the Chicago suburbs. They were Catholics and they told me how popular ND was with the suburban Catholics, not even athletes. It was a very popular school. Of course, with the many Catholic schools playing the best football at the time, ND was very attractive to a lot of the top players. (One that consistently pops into my mind was Chris Zorich, NT for the late '90's Irish. A small Bobby Garcia gave him a hard time in that '89 game.)

In JJ's first year I believe, we had our eyes on some really good players in the Chicago area. We had them all lined up, ready to sign with UM. I believe they were Frank Hartley, a TE. I also think Mel Agee was a DL. (I'm not sure if Moe Gardner was on that list, I think not). Back then, you could not contact a recruit until 9 am on signing day. Coaches would go to meet the recruits personally and have them sign. I heard that when Hubbard walked into the front door at the home of one of the guys he expected to sign (which one I don't know), precisely at 9 am, already sitting inside was Bob Karmelowicz, then the DL coach for Illinois. He already had the prospect, probably Agee, signing.

As you might remember, Bob Karmelowicz was later our DL coach on the '89 team (Orgeron was under him). A friend of mine, a big UM fan, said when Bob was recruiting at UM, he would not have bags of cash with him like he did at Illinois.

Later, when Bob was at UM, I mentioned something about that recruitment where he beat UM, he would only say, "Whew, that was a rough recruiting battle."

This is some good recruiting history, as imperfect and short on facts, as you will get. This will never get written down in a history book. As in so many areas, so much is lost to time. And some things never get committed to paper.

I think it might have been Indiana State, but I'm saying that from memory. I'm not sure if it was Russell sending tape to JJ or Hubbard Alexander just learning about him from his extensive contacts in Chicago. Don't forget, Chicago was a regular recruiting hub for UM back in the '80's. That was because of Axe. He also had good contacts in Memphis, which is why we had a run of players from Memphis for a while.

But I don't know for sure how Russell came to UM's attention. I remember recruiting the Chicago area was very tough. Notre Dame was very popular with the Catholic schools. In the 1980's, I recall talking to some Miami alums from the Chicago suburbs. They were Catholics and they told me how popular ND was with the suburban Catholics, not even athletes. It was a very popular school. Of course, with the many Catholic schools playing the best football at the time, ND was very attractive to a lot of the top players. (One that consistently pops into my mind was Chris Zorich, NT for the late '90's Irish. A small Bobby Garcia gave him a hard time in that '89 game.)

In JJ's first year I believe, we had our eyes on some really good players in the Chicago area. We had them all lined up, ready to sign with UM. I believe they were Frank Hartley, a TE. I also think Mel Agee was a DL. (I'm not sure if Moe Gardner was on that list, I think not). Back then, you could not contact a recruit until 9 am on signing day. Coaches would go to meet the recruits personally and have them sign. I heard that when Hubbard walked into the front door at the home of one of the guys he expected to sign (which one I don't know), precisely at 9 am, already sitting inside was Bob Karmelowicz, then the DL coach for Illinois. He already had the prospect, probably Agee, signing.

As you might remember, Bob Karmelowicz was later our DL coach on the '89 team (Orgeron was under him). A friend of mine, a big UM fan, said when Bob was recruiting at UM, he would not have bags of cash with him like he did at Illinois.

Later, when Bob was at UM, I mentioned something about that recruitment where he beat UM, he would only say, "Whew, that was a rough recruiting battle."

This is some good recruiting history, as imperfect and short on facts, as you will get. This will never get written down in a history book. As in so many areas, so much is lost to time. And some things never get committed to paper.

Yes, it was Indiana St, now that I think of it. I may be in the minority, but I really like Miami as an independent. They would have some really interesting schedules and rivalries that extended all over the country. I know it wasn't realistic for them to stay that way, but those were some fun days

Advertisement
Back