Running game strength or weakness??

Trescerocinco

Retired staff
Premium
I am wondering what everyone's opinion on the state of the running game going into next season. I know Walton is getting a lot of hype and some people believe we are gonna have to relay on the running game to help ease in the new QB. I am of the opinion unless there is a marked improvement from last season we are gonna struggle to run the ball with authority. From the looks of the stats that richt released it seems that the struggles generating push at the LOS is still an issue for this group.

Advertisement
I am wondering what everyone's opinion on the state of the running game going into next season. I know Walton is getting a lot of hype and some people believe we are gonna have to relay on the running game to help ease in the new QB. I am of the opinion unless there is a marked improvement from last season we are gonna struggle to run the ball with authority. From the looks of the stats that richt released it seems that the struggles generating push at the LOS is still an issue for this group.

All depends on how much our OL improves.

I think the running game will be fine. The line will be improved with another year of better S&C plus Richt and Co have recruited some road graders. Walton is probably the best returning back in the ACC, and if Homer taps into his potential we'll have a helluva one, two punch.

Biggest factor to me will be qb play. Whoever the qb has to be productive in the passing game to keep defenses honest. Given the talent at wr I don't foresee that to be a problem as long as the ball is delivered to the right place.

I wouldn't look to deep into scrimmage stats. Remember our d line is full of savages.

Last edited:
Did you expect for the RB's to rush for over 100yds in a Spring scrimmage?

Strength. Walton is a serious baller. It will be interesting to see how Grey and Homer compliment him.

Advertisement
Second scrimmage produced ( 1 ) one yard per carry for entire offense...Does'nt bode well at this point or we've got the best defense in the NCAA

Second scrimmage produced ( 1 ) one yard per carry for entire offense...Does'nt bode well at this point or we've got the best defense in the NCAA
Lord have mercy... Smh

Buuuuut... Walton only got 2 carries during this scrimmage, and maybe none during the first scrimmage. Richt said after that first scrimmage that he didn't want to run a lot, because he was aware Walton could take over, and intentionally threw the ball most of the time. That appears to have been the case this week as well.

The numbers definitely haven't been heartening, but the fact that Richt has that much confidence in the run game deserves the benefit of the doubt, especially when we can't see what context those runs come in (down/distance/o-line rotation/scenario/etc).

Advertisement
i always think the running game is a strong and it does show vs. poor to mediocre opponents but i swear everytime we play FSU or a top tier team we do less than 100 yards/ its a non factor.

That needs to improve drastically. Especially this year with a new QB

IMO opinion a bigger concern than the reported stats is the comments by Richt concerning the "lack of running room" combined with an all too prevalent occurrence of a "lack of running room" last season. We know that the Oline needs to improve, that should still be a concern given what we can piece together from the evidence we have.

Advertisement
Depends on the o-line. Simple as that. You could have the Heisman trophy winner on your team, but if you dont have a solid o-line, then you aint gonna do squat.

Lord have mercy... Smh

Buuuuut... Walton only got 2 carries during this scrimmage, and maybe none during the first scrimmage. Richt said after that first scrimmage that he didn't want to run a lot, because he was aware Walton could take over, and intentionally threw the ball most of the time. That appears to have been the case this week as well.

The numbers definitely haven't been heartening, but the fact that Richt has that much confidence in the run game deserves the benefit of the doubt, especially when we can't see what context those runs come in (down/distance/o-line rotation/scenario/etc).

Are you sure it's confidence in the run game or is it fear of injury? Caused I'd be scared as **** to lose a RB at this point.

I understand we shouldn't look too much into the running stats because it's just a scrimmage. That being said, everyone keeps giving the passing game some benefit of the doubt because the defense is "purely playing the pass game". If that's the case the few runs we had should be for above average yardage considering the d is playing 95% for the pass.

I don't really have an opinion either way I just find the excuses made for both side contradictory.

Advertisement

Sort of difficult to know being that all practices and scrimmages have been closed to the public and press.

This O-line won't be competing against any defense as good as the one they compete against every day in practice(at least during the regular season). If the starters on the O-line stay healthy all season, we should run the ball better than we did last year.

I highly doubt this same group of guys that were flat out terrible last year are suddenly going to even be average at best

it will take 2 recruiting cycles to get through it and most of you already know this

I highly doubt this same group of guys that were flat out terrible last year are suddenly going to even be average at best

it will take 2 recruiting cycles to get through it and most of you already know this

where is the logic in 99% of the posts on this site??

Advertisement
Back