Run it back

Advertisement
I have to believe the people who never heard of “run it back” have to be like 50+ on here. Next thing you know people will think no cap means we’re not playing with helmets anymore.
I think it's nice to hear people call them caps again. It's a baseball cap, not a baseball hat.

But as far as the 50+ bit...

mad gran torino GIF

...and that's no cap.

Advertisement
Old pickup b-ball slang for 'let's play again.' And it's usually the losing squad saying it trying to avenge their loss. Real hoopers know.

'NAW!! LET'S RUN THAT **** BACK!!'
posted before I read your post. That's exactly how I know of it.

I have to believe the people who never heard of “run it back” have to be like 50+ on here. Next thing you know people will think no cap means we’re not playing with helmets anymore.
Be very wary of some 50 pluses. Many could whip the little hiney’s of 50 and unders and send them home screaming to mommy that grandpa just whipped my ***.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s a stupid ******* hashtag, from a stupid ******* stat nerd, that’s already given us gems like #TNM and #watchtheclose and so on and so on. How about this Mandy, why don’t you hashtag winning a meaningful ******* game or having your “precious defense” not giving up almost 800 yards to UNC or not give up a 4th and 17 when the game is on the line to, you guessed it, UNC again. Or maybe #discipline or #motivated or #prepared or #energy or #fundamentals which are all things your teams here have been severely lacking! Smh how about some of those real life accomplishment hashtags instead of continuing to virtue signal on Twitter and looking even more like a computer dork that doesn’t have a clue how to run a football team let alone a successful program. 🤬

Were you frothing at the mouth when you posted this?

When I used to play ball that's what we would say run it back. City talk
Only way losing team wasn't saying 'run it back' is if there was another team waiting to play winners. If that isn't still a part of playground basketball then we have lost something.

Companion phrases to 'run it back'
"Shoot for it" when we were arguing over a call, followed by the INEVITABLE,
'ball doesn't lie"
No refs meant
'offense calls fouls', and depending on the park, the always controversial
'no blood, no foul'

What I loved about it all is that we had to make our own rules, call our own fouls, settle our own disputes (including the score), and basically police ourselves. For kids those are useful lessons. Of course there were fights and sometimes worse, but you had to know the park and crowd

Only way losing team wasn't saying 'run it back' is if there was another team waiting to play winners. If that isn't still a part of playground basketball then we have lost something.

Companion phrases to 'run it back'
"Shoot for it" when we were arguing over a call, followed by the INEVITABLE,
'ball doesn't lie"
No refs meant
'offense calls fouls', and depending on the park, the always controversial
'no blood, no foul'

What I loved about it all is that we had to make our own rules, call our own fouls, settle our own disputes (including the score), and basically police ourselves. For kids those are useful lessons. Of course there were fights and sometimes worse, but you had to know the park and crowd
U forgot the hood excuse of fouling someone and when they call foul u say......late call too late too late. Lol

Then a fight breaks out

Advertisement
It sounds more competitive than, "****, I wasn't ready! Can I get a do-over?"

People have been saying this for years. If you've ever played pick-up basketball at your local park/gym, I'm sure you've heard it being said many times.
This times 1000. Usually you would hear this if one team thinks they got shafted for the L. This has been around for ever.

Advertisement
Back