Rumph and Banda #1 pass defense in the country

Coaching absolutely matters in today’s CFB. To contend for a ship I think u need both stars and coaching, but the last 2 regimes have been case studies in the Johnny & Joes vs. Xs and Os argument.

Poorly coached 4s lose to well coached 3s today.

Absolutely. That's how you end up with losses to the Dukes and Virginias of the world.

Advertisement
Willis changed everything. He was better than any DT we've had around here in a long time. Completely changed plays and games. Mcintosh and Norton made horrendous decisions, as we know, and it actually looks worse for them because Willis would have made them look better.

We might not be able to replace that next year, but hopefully Garvin makes another leap and Rousseau shocks some people (which is not unreasonable to hope for). Nesta can be very good, though probably not Willis' level during the '18 season type of good. The other DT spot needs a significant jump from multiple players.

A 4-some of Garvin/Silvera/Ford/Rousseau has a lot of promise. It's the talent behind them that just doesn't appear quite right imo:

Patchan, Bethel, Martin, Miller, Joyner, Harvey, Blissett, Williams, Munoz, Holley

I think Patchan will be much improved next season after getting settled back in at his natural position, I'm also intrigued by Munoz, he'll be a TF, but he seems to have an edge about him.

Man you would think it would be easy to get top DBs to come play for you when you have production like this

The security and exchange commission conference bag game is strong, but we'll get the guys we need to get and ball out. Like i said last year when those other db's went up the road, good for them, we good with who we got, as long as we get the players that are Canes at heart that's what matters most. And we'll be straight this year too as well, coach rumph and coach banda know what they are doing, no worries there man. Its better to have a top flight secondary without the so called top db names to me, cause it shows 2 things, good coaching and overlooked talent!

Yeah sorry I don't for one moment believe we will have a better pass defense next year after losing Redwine and Jaquan. Those two aren't exactly amazing in pass defense but they were great senior safeties who will both be drafted pretty highly.

Amari Carter has shown that he misses a lot of tackles, which is a bad quality in safeties. His coverage has been okay, but his biggest strength is blitzing imo. Gurvan Hall I'm hopefully can be better than both Jaquan and Redwine, but he's only gonna be a sophomore.

And at CB sure we have a LOT of young talent, but as overrated as Michael Jackson was and as much as y'all hate Dean, there were clearly the best options this year, so unless our frosh CBs step up a **** load, CB probably won't be much better than it was this year.

...and the pass rush likely won't be as good either, especially after losing Willis (are Ford and Nesta gonna step up?) And if we lose Joe Jackson which is likely (prob gonna be a 2ndl3rd if he leaves early) our DE depth is straight ***.

Agree with everything except the part about the corners. Bandy was clearly the best corner on the squad.

Advertisement
Not to be an @$$hole, but numbers do lie.

I’m glad we have this one positive (well, who am I kidding, all of our positives came on the defense), but the fact is, our 2ndary was barely tested all season. The offenses we faced, collectively, avg. 72nd in passing (that’s not including Savannah St).

Again, our schedule was incredibly easy. The toughest passing offense we faced was 28th and that was FSU.

I’m glad we have this one positive (well, who am I kidding, all of our positives came on the defense), but the fact is, our 2ndary was barely tested all season. The offenses we faced, collectively, avg. 72nd in passing (that’s not including Savannah St).

Again, our schedule was incredibly easy. The toughest passing offense we faced was 28th and that was FSU.
youre on target again Relly. 2018 should have been the year Miami made a serious move to get into the playoffs with the
cupcake schedule we had. The four game slide was mind boggling .... no way should any Miami team EVER lose to Dook FFS !

Advertisement
youre on target again Relly. 2018 should have been the year Miami made a serious move to get into the playoffs with the
cupcake schedule we had. The four game slide was mind boggling .... no way should any Miami team EVER lose to Dook FFS !

Not to put salt in the wound, but these were the giants we lost to during our 4 game skid:

UVA (83rd passing offense / 84th total offense / 24th total defense

BC (78th passing offense / 64th total offense / 72nd total defense

Duke (64th passing offense / 72nd total offense / 82nd total defense

GT (126th passing offense / 51st total offense / 46th total defense

U know looking back, I can’t knock the defensive passing stats; they took advantage of the schedule. Only if the other side did the same.

Not to put salt in the wound, but these were the giants we lost to during our 4 game skid:

UVA (83rd passing offense / 84th total offense / 24th total defense

BC (78th passing offense / 64th total offense / 72nd total defense

Duke (64th passing offense / 72nd total offense / 82nd total defense

GT (126th passing offense / 51st total offense / 46th total defense

U know looking back, I can’t knock the defensive passing stats; they took advantage of the schedule. Only if the other side did the same.
****.... thats unreal

And fsu had less than 150 yards 2 ints passing, be consistent....

Matter of fact 10 out of 12 teams we played had qbs that had less than 150 yards passing against miami. Fiu qb had 168 yards passing(nearly most of it vs the 3rd team in the 4th) and va tech qb had 216 yards. That’s unreal and elite no matter who you are playing. And if you breakdown Miami schedule like that do the same for everyone else

Last edited:
And fsu had less than 150 yards 2 ints passing, be consistent....

Matter of fact 10 out of 12 teams we played had qbs that had less than 150 yards passing against miami. Fiu qb had 168 yards passing(nearly most of it vs the 3rd team in the 4th) and va tech qb had 216 yards. That’s unreal and elite no matter who you are playing. And if you breakdown Miami schedule like that do the same for everyone else

I think I was being pretty consistent. The highest ranked passing offense was FSU at 28th.

VA Tech plummeted in passing offense by the time we played them b/c their starting QB went out. By the time we played them, they dropped to 38th in passing offense from being top 8.

As I said, our defense didn’t play great offenses this yr, plus Coach Jess did a phenomenal job w the front four. Regardless, it was a phenomenal season and our defense did exactly what it was supposed to do against a cupcake schedule

Advertisement
Even with that long walk across the track to their field?

It’s a very long walk.

... yet a few years ago people wanted Mike Rumph fired and didn't think he was a fit for the job. Enough with this knee-jerk nonsense from fans; need to let stuff play out. ****, many were also *****ing about Manny Diaz year one, too—and again after the loss to LSU. The Football IQ and common sense / logic of some in this fan base has reached an all-time low.

Advertisement
As a position coach he definitely has an argument for that.

People might laugh..but what makes me extra nervous about Diaz about potentially leaving at some point is the fact that he’s definitely taking Banda with him and **** sure would try to convince Rumph as well.

Advertisement
Back