Ruiz Stadium update?

Good for Miami. Keep playing in HRS..,, it’ll continue to be a wack game day experience. Continue to a quarter filled. Tropical Park will remain a run down use to be. Guess it’s actually fitting given the circumstances. Matches the program
Aqua blue seats and miami dolphin’s end zone logos are the perfect companion for an embarassing middle of the road college football program that’s colors are orange and green. Want some gear while inside the stadium? Don’t you worry they have a 90% dolphin inventory with a 10% cane inventory smack in the front of the store for you!

If you don’t want to see a public park turned into a large scale venue I totally get that but to act like HRS is good for the canes is as delusional as the takes I’ve seen on this board during football season for almost 10 years

Advertisement
Aqua blue seats and miami dolphin’s end zone logos are the perfect companion for an embarassing middle of the road college football program that’s colors are orange and green. Want some gear while inside the stadium? Don’t you worry they have a 90% dolphin inventory with a 10% cane inventory smack in the front of the store for you!

If you don’t want to see a public park turned into a large scale venue I totally get that but to act like HRS is good for the canes is as delusional as the takes I’ve seen on this board during football season for almost 10 years
the irony is that the things you rightfully complain about are easily fixable.

It’s not going to get fixed though. But thats not even mentioning the miami open, miami Grand Prix, and gondola we have outside of our football stadium we play in.

Hard rock stadium is a disaster for the Miami Hurricanes. Just wish more of the fanbase would come to that realization sooner rather than later. Don’t think tropical park is a viable option? That’s fair but we need to looks elsewhere ASAP

Last edited:
It’s not going to get fixed though. But thats not even mentioning the miami open, miami Grand Prix, and gondola we have outside of our football stadium we play in.

Hard rock stadium is a disaster for the Miami Hurricanes. Just wish more or the fanbase would come to that realization sooner rather than later. Don’t think tropical park is a viable option? That’s fair but we need to looks elsewhere ASAP

There's about 6 things-- people and decisions-- that have been bigger disasters for UM football, honestly. If we addressed at least half of them in a competent manner, HRS is somewhere between a non-factor and less-than-ideal.

Lol...do these people not realize that UMs ENTIRE campus is only 210 acres??..
They just don't want to hear it. It's insanity every year. We weren't gifted federal lands out in the cow pastures of a rural state. We were gifted 170 acres nearly 100 years ago in what was already a metropolitan area for the time. In 100 years, we've gained 40 acres of land to expand the school, that's it. At one point, when we didn't have enough room for students, we leased a **** Holiday Inn across US1, but yeah, we'll just wedge a stadium in right over by AllCanes and the metrorail.

One thing seems certain and that is whatever slim chance Tropical Park has of becoming a reality is likely to be ruined by Ruiz’s brash nature. Along with hiring HKS, he should have hired a professional public relations company as part of a strategic communications plan. Instead, it’s the Ruiz family using Twitter to anger voters and commissioners who actually have to approve the project.
This happens down here. Every few years there's a new hot ticket who is going to take over Miami and tell us all how it's supposed to be run. I appreciate that Ruiz is what's kept us in the game, but he is doing more harm than good and he will force UM to distance themselves from him. I stopped listening to him when his plan involved bulldozing a HS. :rolleyes: Yes, I know, they were going to build a new one. :rolleyes::rolleyes: If he is really serious about a pursuing a 5% chance of UM getting in on a stadium deal, he needs to piggyback with others who are already fighting those battles, because there's a 0% chance anything happens that isn't multi-use.

Advertisement

There’s nothing fixable about this. I don’t know how many times I have to post this & I’ve been posting this since SLS became HRS:

This is Ross’ stadium & Ross’ stadium only. We are a business venture for him, nothing more or less. We got complacent & lazy by not having a contingency plan in place when the OB was demolished, after moving to LSS, SLS.

Blake James tried to spin to the public & alumni base how these renovations were going to help recruiting:
"Kids want to play where the NFL players play. This is something that will be a recruiting weapon for us."

Ross completely remodeled the Stadium b/c his Stadium was not deemed SB host ready. He also was not generating the revenue needed in the new landscape of football ownership, & needed to maximize his revenue stream from a stadium he outright owns. So the teal seats, the Dolphins merchandise, the advertisement of upcoming events is all for his earning interest. His only interest in us is the revenue he generates from us as tenants.

This is not a partnership like Pitt has w/ The Steelers, where formerly known as Heinz field easily transitions from a Pitt home games to a Steeler’s home game. The sooner everyone understands this relationship, the sooner the narrative of “things can be fixed” can be nixed under this current relationship.

Finally, hanging on to the ND game in 2017 is also moot. You had four phenomena that created the perfect storm:

1. ESPN Game Day was held here for 1st time in 15 yrs

2. This was the 1st time in 13 yrs that we ranked in the top 10, facing another top 10 team at home

3. This top 10 team happened to be an old rival who we hadn’t played in Miami in 28 yrs

4. Evening game, which became an event

That’s y it was an animal house; it was lightening in a bottle; which is y is hasn’t been duplicated since or prior to. It’s also y this argument to justify staying at HRS is moot.

Last edited:
I don't even think we need one that's 50000 capacity. Go smaller, make sure it can be filled, compromise with officials about how many people they are willing to deal with traffic for. Offer further away parking and shuttles.

I know we are rare as a private school with a small student body in a HUGE city and there's not many similar situations, but maybe something around 40,000 like BC or something is reasonable relative to student body size if implemented correctly to avoid traffic issues.

There’s nothing fixable about this. I don’t know how many times I have to post this & I’ve been posting this since SLS became HRS:

This is Ross’ stadium & Ross’ stadium only. We are a business venture for him, nothing more or less. We got complacent & lazy by not having a contingency plan in place when the OB was demolished, after moving to LSS, SLS.

Blake James tried to spin to the public & alumni base how these renovations were going to help recruiting:
"Kids want to play where the NFL players play. This is something that will be a recruiting weapon for us."

Ross completely remodeled the Stadium b/c his Stadium was not deemed SB host ready. He also was not generating the revenue needed in the new landscape of football ownership, & needed to maximize his revenue stream from a stadium he outright owns. So the teal seats, the Dolphins merchandise, the advertisement of upcoming events is all for his earning interest. His only interest in us is the revenue he generates from us as tenants.

This is not a partnership like Pitt has w/ The Steelers, where formerly known as Heinz field easily transitions from a Pitt home games to a Steeler’s home game. The sooner everyone understands this relationship, the sooner the narrative of “things can be fixed” can be nixed under this current relationship.

Finally, hanging on to the ND game in 2017 is also moot. You had four phenomena that created the perfect storm:

2. This was the 1st time in 13 yrs that we ranked in the top 10, facing another top 10 team at home

3. This top 10 team happened to be an old rival who we hadn’t played in Miami in 28 yrs

That’s y it was an animal house; it was lightening in a bottle; which is y is hasn’t been duplicated since or prior to. It’s also y this argument to justify staying at HRS is moot.

in architecture and engineering, everything is possible as long as you have creativity, willingness and money. same with the "appearance" of HRS.

wrong color seats? change them (costly and not viable) or cover them for each UM game with the right colors (less costly, viable).

endzones painted wrong colors/logos. paint them the right color and logo for each UM game (less costly, viable).

there are a ton of fixes that will make the stadium "look" like a UM stadium. all you need is creativity, willingness and money.

These people deserve this program as it stands right now. Anyone pounding the table for HRS is goofy

Advertisement
in architecture and engineering, everything is possible as long as you have creativity, willingness and money. same with the "appearance" of HRS.

wrong color seats? change them (costly and not viable) or cover them for each UM game with the right colors (less costly, viable).

endzones painted wrong colors/logos. paint them the right color and logo for each UM game (less costly, viable).

there are a ton of fixes that will make the stadium "look" like a UM stadium. all you need is creativity, willingness and money.

Again, it’s not our stadium, buddy. We have zero vested interest in this stadium, not even on the operator level.

All is controlled by Ross; plus, it’s not like we’re selling out the stadium to maximize Ross’ revenue.

If the argyle end zone laid out be the grounds crew wasn’t evidence enough, not sure what else would be.

Last edited:

Hard rock stadium is a disaster for the Miami Hurricanes. Just wish more or the fanbase would come to that realization sooner rather than later. Don’t think tropical park is a viable option? That’s fair but we need to looks elsewhere ASAP

There is no other place to look. Said it before and I'll say it again. The only place possible for this is Tropical Park and anyone with an ounce of common sense knows a multi billion dollar, non tax payer funded stadium at that location is a total pipe dream.

Advertisement
Again, it’s not our stadium, buddy. We have zero vested interest in this stadium, not even on the operator level.

All is controlled by Ross; plus, it’s not like we’re selling out the stadium to maximize Ross’ revenue.

If the argyle end zone laid out be the grounds crew wasn’t evidence enough, not sure what else would be.
agreed, not our stadium, neither will the Tropical Park be our stadium. IMO, we need to flirt sufficiently with Ruiz to have some leverage with Ross on the next go around (10-12 years) to extract what we need from the arrangement, although i assume there are some renewal terms already existing in the lease.

by the way, who has a copy of the lease?

It's funny-and I'm as culpable as anyone-but the stadium only becomes a topic of discussion when we lose and we all start moping about everything wrong with the program. I bet if we could start looking like a real program, we could all find ways to positively spin Hard Rock ("NFL facility, bro!")

win and everything takes care of itself.

I don't even think we need one that's 50000 capacity. Go smaller, make sure it can be filled, compromise with officials about how many people they are willing to deal with traffic for. Offer further away parking and shuttles.

I know we are rare as a private school with a small student body in a HUGE city and there's not many similar situations, but maybe something around 40,000 like BC or something is reasonable relative to student body size if implemented correctly to avoid traffic issues.
The issue is a 40k stadium screws us for major games. By building such a small facility, we would be basically saying "Yep, we're a glorified midmajor that doesn't want to win anything significant". 50k would be the number, because historically, Miami has drawn around 45-50k, that would ensure that it looks mostly full most games, while also providing additional seating for huge games.

Advertisement
agreed, not our stadium, neither will the Tropical Park be our stadium. IMO, we need to flirt sufficiently with Ruiz to have some leverage with Ross on the next go around (10-12 years) to extract what we need from the arrangement, although i assume there are some renewal terms already existing in the lease.

by the way, who has a copy of the lease?

Not sure if Ross will even be around the next go round, unless he made a pack w/ the devil like Virginia McCaskey who refuses to….nvm. Lol

But I need to correct u on ur 1st statement; from my understanding, The Hurricanes, while not owners of the new stadium, would be in a custodial or operating agreement w/ the new stadium. It would be something similar to what UCLA have w/ the Rosebowl or SC had w the Coliseum (SC is now in full control of the Coliseum while paying a small % to the County as operators).

Of course, that was the infant/vague proposal in regards to our end, but not sure how non UM events held there would be handled from a revenue standpoint vs. game day, in-season standpoint.

Also, I think u need to read this article to get a sense of the level of importance or lack thereof regarding our “negotiating powers.” U guys keep saying we play in a world class stadium, & fail to realize there’s pros & cons when u play at someone else’s stadium that’s deemed world class w/ no vested interest. It makes for negotiating or demands mute, b/c u soon realize the revenue u generate pales in comparison to what this new stadium generates w/o u. Oh, & the County has an interest in Ross’ business ventures, as well.

Good post Relly.

One thing I've noted from visiting the Pitt board from time to time: the vast majority of their fans dislike playing in the Steelers stadium and think the university somehow, someway needs to find a way to return football to campus

They just don't want to hear it. It's insanity every year. We weren't gifted federal lands out in the cow pastures of a rural state. We were gifted 170 acres nearly 100 years ago in what was already a metropolitan area for the time. In 100 years, we've gained 40 acres of land to expand the school, that's it. At one point, when we didn't have enough room for students, we leased a **** Holiday Inn across US1, but yeah, we'll just wedge a stadium in right over by AllCanes and the metrorail.

(y)

There is a segment of Cane fans (not sure how big or how small, some of y'all may know) who seem to believe we should have the same sort of things — a huge on-campus stadium for example — that FSU and UF have up here in NoFlo.

But when you get down to it, it's kind of amazing how little UM has in common with either of those two schools other than some historical success on the football field. Apples and oranges doesn't even begin to describe the differences.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back