Ruiz Stadium update?

For the SoFla folks here:

Would a near-campus stadium at Tropical Park end up lowering attendance from fans coming from Broward and PB counties?

Advertisement
Not sure if Ross will even be around the next go round, unless he made a pack w/ the devil like Virginia McCaskey who refuses to….nvm. Lol

But I need to correct u on ur 1st statement; from my understanding, The Hurricanes, while not owners of the new stadium, would be in a custodial or operating agreement w/ the new stadium. It would be something similar to what UCLA have w/ the Rosebowl or SC had w the Coliseum (SC is now in full control of the Coliseum while paying a small % to the County as operators).

Of course, that was the infant/vague proposal in regards to our end, but not sure how non UM events held there would be handled from a revenue standpoint vs. game day, in-season standpoint.

Also, I think u need to read this article to get a sense of the level of importance or lack thereof regarding our “negotiating powers.” U guys keep saying we play in a world class stadium, & fail to realize there’s pros & cons when u play at someone else’s stadium that’s deemed world class w/ no vested interest. It makes for negotiating or demands mute, b/c u soon realize the revenue u generate pales in comparison to what this new stadium generates w/o u. Oh, & the County has an interest in Ross’ business ventures, as well.

you are right, ross may be gone.

some fundamental points that have not been refuted since this debate started and i don't see how they will be overcome, regardless of what people say here or on Twitter or anywhere else.

1. ruiz isn't going to build a development at a cost of $3B (his words) including the stadium to allow miami to do what it wants with the stadium and take all of the profits. other than being closer to the school and being "home of the canes" (which it won't be), i am not sure what we gain from it. this isn't melreese where the promoter (inter miami) is the same as the beneficiary. this could change, however, if miami becomes an equity partner in the deal, which it could, but that would mean directing hundreds of millions of dollars of resources away from academics to football. i don't think this is tenable.

2. the argument that the stadium would be closer to the school and more students will go to the game is a red herring. i am on campus a lot and have concluded that many UM students dont care about football. therefore, IMO there is not likely to be a significant increment in the number of fans that attend games if the stadium is but a few miles away. and it is likely that many fans from broward/palm beach or even more north won't attend. 20 years in the gutter erodes passion. i've been going to games for 30 years and during championship years the orange bowl was empty. a new stadium is not likely to change that. if the OB didn't attract fans, the stadium at tropical wont.

3. hotels, condos, retail don't belong at tropcial park or any other public park, some or all of which are necessary in order to subsidize the construction of a stadium that on its own will not likely make enough money to pay for itself.

4. ruiz doesn't have the political clout or the PR savvy to lead this charge and obviously his son doesn't either. miami insiders know this. however, both of these can be purchased, but i don't see him riding second chair on this given its his money and his ego.

5. his timing could not be worse. remember 10 years ago or so, the marlins screwed miami dade county tax payers at a cost of $2.5B. this has not been forgotten by those inside the county or the residents. mas and family just had melreese approved, which while within the city of miami, left somewhat of a sour taste around here. and to boot some developers recently tried to incorporate Westchester (where the park lies) and it failed miserably. the residents of westchester have already organized themselves to oppose the park, so have the mayor and many commissioners, some of whom are left wing ideologues and not IMO persuadable.

Winning cures EVERYTHING, and i mean EVERYTHING.

Advertisement
Back