Ruiz Stadium update?

@Rickd ....Funny thing is...I speak to Carlos Jones off-line...and on-line frequently. (Just lost his Mom 2 weeks ago, (Lives in Louisiana) @Brooklyndee was close to him (mobbed him on the sideline after pick6), before Carlos fell into Butch's Doghouse in 95. We often talk about the pick6, and he said even he could not believe the Sound. Love that Dude.

Advertisement
Hard to believe that the OB got “ much louder” than HRS the night we played ND. I mean we were not even at the half and ND fans were plugging their ears and leaving early. It was loud as af! It was’t just about the opponent or the ranking. That was a decade and a half of frustration being let out.
It did get louder.

From a decibel standpoint I don’t think it’s possible that the orange bowl is louder than hard rock. Roof, Ob open end zone, etc. The glorious part of the OB was not only was it very loud but it felt like it was about to come down at times. Special place no doubt but from an acoustic standpoint I don’t see how the orange bowl is louder than hard rock. The dolphins and hurricanes have just sucked at Joe Robbie, land shark, hard rock etc
I don't care what anyone says whatsoever...
The Loudest games and Moments I've ever heard were at the OB....From 89 ND, 82 Dolphins (with A.J Duhe pick6 against Jets) to Hester KO vs UF...and the 91 Klingler game.

Hard to believe that the OB got “ much louder” than HRS the night we played ND. I mean we were not even at the half and ND fans were plugging their ears and leaving early. It was loud as af! It was’t just about the opponent or the ranking. That was a decade and a half of frustration being let out.
Not only louder...but wayyyyy louder. Ask people who were there for both.

The Loudest games and Moments I've ever heard were at the OB....From 89 ND, 82 Dolphins (with A.J Duhe pick6 against Jets) to Hester KO vs UF...and the 91 Klingler game.
Not arguing those moments. My argument is if you put those huge plays/games in hard rock. Hard rock gets louder from an acoustic/decibel standpoint

If you threw a roof on The OB I think many of us would probably be suffering from some deafness 🤣

Advertisement
Not arguing those moments. My argument is if you put those huge plays/games in hard rock. Hard rock gets louder from an acoustic/decibel standpoint

If you threw a roof on The OB I think many of us would probably be suffering from some deafness 🤣
You couldn't hear yourself think at the 89 UM/ND game....Literally...

I get the acoustics end of things, but the 2002 FSU game was louder than the 2017 ND game.
The OB was louder on the McGahee screen than the Bandy INT at HRS.

There were 10,000 more of us nuts at the '02 game....
Maybe sound is amplified more in 145 degrees?

I can't speak for the '89 ND, Klinger, or Carlos FSU games.

Last edited:
In terms of noise while your at the game, where you’re sitting makes a bit difference. For years I sat in the old general admission west end zone and those fools would be loud and crazy all the time. One year, my friends and I got fancy and “upgraded” to sideline seats and those pinkies up dorks were quieter than a church mouse.

Advertisement
You couldn't hear yourself think at the 89 UM/ND game....Literally...
One of my life's regrets was missing that game.

Me, you, CBS and everyone else had that game circled from when the schedule came out that previous winter.
My girlfriend at the time decides to have Thanksgiving on the Saturday of TG weekend...smfh.
WHO DOES THAT???

I should have dumped her right there and flown down anyway.

I had that same experience in 94 vs FSU. Never experienced anything like it. I don’t remember the 89’ game vs ND as I was too young.
94 FSU had nothing on 89 ND....EXCEPT one moment, the Pick6....don't get me wrong...94 FSU was raucous....but nothing compared to 89 ND.....remember, ND was #1 in the 89 game, and they were F-ing good...not like 2017 ND who were mediocre at best...

I get the acoustics end of things, but the 2002 FSU game was louder than the 2017 ND game.
The OB was louder on the McGahee screen than the Bandy INT at HRS.

There were 10,000 more of us nuts at the '02 game....
Maybe sound is amplified more in 145 degrees?

I can't speak for the '89 ND, Klinger, or Carlos FSU games.
I will never, ever forget 89 ND....just total bedlam.

Advertisement
Listen man....even the UM vs Houston/Klingler game at the OB in 91 was as loud...if not louder. Same goes for the 03 UM vs UF game. I've been going to the OB since 74 for Dolphin games (alot of them...and HUGE games) and been going to the OB for UM games since 76 (steadily since 78) and I've never heard the noise (for an entire game) and Hysteria that I heard at UM/ND 89....even 1 1/2 before the game...halftime...and 2hrs after the game was insanity. Loudest Moment??....Without Question Los's pick6 vs FSU....The crowd was already in a frenzy the play before cause of Lang & Sapps sack of Kanell. Once Carlos crossed the Goaline...it was like an Atom Bomb went off. My former wife had a scared look on her face....It felt like the Ole Girl was coming down.
Been going to them since 89. Hard Rock with that canopy is loud. Think maybe your hearing is impaired.

Advertisement
Been going to them since 89. Hard Rock with that canopy is loud. Think maybe your hearing is impaired.
My hearing is perfect...like it was when I was 29 in 89....I was at UM/ND in 2017...sitting with a former Cane. It was loud...but not in the same Hemisphere as 89.

Yes!! You and I have discussed the Hester KO vs the gator...I lost some hearing after that

Advertisement
Back