Ruiz Stadium update?

+100

Where was the public outcry when the Shechtman family leased Tropical Park for Santa’s Enchanted Forest?

The Shechtman family leased valuable land from Miami-Dade County from 1983 to 2020 to run a “for profit“ business, not because they were filled with Christmas spirit. They took advantage of a pubic park everyday from November until the end of January for 37 years. Yet, the Ruiz family wants to build a stadium that will benefit the University for 6 or 7 Saturdays per year while improving upon the existing facilities and at no cost to taxpayers (allegedly) and people are upset. SMFH!

Do I trust the Ruiz family implicitly given John’s background? Absolutely not. But, the University and Miami-Dade County should carefully evaluate his proposal. To ignore the possibility, is negligent.
I think you may also be selling the public benefit short, assuming they want to renovate the full park as mentioned that’s much more than 6-7 Saturdays in the fall and a benefit to many more people than just Miami fans.

Advertisement
Do you really believe Ruiz is doing all of this without the school’s leadership (Mario, Rad, Echevarria, Etc.) signing off on it and telling him to be dropping their name in all of this?
I mean honestly... Yes. This guy tends to fly by the seat of his pants and throw ideas out there to see what sticks. A few months ago he was pumping up the idea of knocking down Gables High until he realized that nobody was going to support it. The same thing will probably happen with the Tropical Park idea.

the university has nothing to gain from supporting or not supporting the stadium, although i am sure they have al privately said they would conceptually support, as, from their perspective, they should. but i dont think they officially want to hitch their wagon to Ruiz just yet. 95% of the video game addicts posters on this board have no idea what it takes to build a $2B-$3B real estate development project. remember, the development of OTHER real estate phases (office, retail, hotel etc.) is what makes the stadium financially viable for Ruiz. he is copying Mas' and Beckham's Mel Reese template (not original to them). it takes a seasoned, well-capitalized team with expertise in capital markets, development, infrastructure, political issues and real estate among others to pull this off. therefore, putting Johnny Jr in front is risible at best. compare him and Ruiz's existing team to Mas' and Beckham's team

(((Long Reply Warning)))

I think it’s beneath u to resort to name calling or social class assignment who don’t share ur views on this matter. Hence, y I suggested u sit out this thread b/c u’re becoming personally triggered, which is way below ur noble standards, boss. I know u’re good ppl, so don’t stoop or resort to going down a muddy path.

I believe there’s some concerns & some optimism surrounding this project. I also feel that personal views of Ruiz, most likely due to his past indiscretion, makes it hard for some in this fan base to get fully behind. Imho, The Miami fan base, my brothers & sisters have become so snake bitten by all the bull chit that’s surrounded this school (horrible admin, Nevin Shapiro, The OB fiasco, SI story, Yahoo report, **** poor AD, **** poor coaching), that it’s made them either hyper jaded, chitting on any potential good news/waiting for the sky to fall or hyper Kool-Aid drinkers, looking for any glimmer of hope & running a marathon w/ it.

I try to approach everything w/ a balanced view, and maybe that’s b/c of the bull chit I’ve seen & been through vs. overcoming & continuing to overcome said bull chit. Here’s the only things I know in regards to ur concerns:

1. W/in a few weeks, our newly appointed AD went on record to say it would be nice if we had our own stadium closer to the campus

2. Mario & Rad said they wouldn’t have come unless it was proven that The University was fully invested in the program, which included, but not limited to facilities

3. HRS, while a fantastic event venue, is catering to the financial needs of Stephen Ross & his organization, exclusively

4. Ruiz has made good on his promise in regards to doing his part in helping the University, while also promoting his brand via NIL

5. Facility upgrades have already commenced on campus, while further developments are ensuing

6. HKS is an architect firm w/ many political tentacles. They r the ones taking the lead in this project.

7. Johnny went public to emphasize the need for Miami to have their own stadium to:
a. Maximize The U’s revenue stream to continue to sustain success on its own
b. To enhance the overall public usage of Tropical Park as its currently under utilized & neglected

These r all undeniable facts. The unknown is whether The Ruiz family will make good on their claim to validate point 7. We have no idea b/c the final renderings to present are not complete. (When I say renderings, I mean the entire infrastructure including the park’s proposal)

Ur concern about The University’s “interest” should be of no never mind, simply b/c if they weren’t interested, then we would’ve seen a statement stating such. However, it would be logical to assume there is some interest; I mean the stadium renderings have our logo on the field, w/ “Miami” in the EZ. Furthermore, Johnny said this stadium is not on the high priority list right now, as Miami is focused on current projects that immediately benefit the student athletes on campus; but, long term, this is on the docket.

Imo, the problem w/ some in this fan base is the lack of fwd thinking (& in no way is this a shot at u). I’m looking at various threads, & I get this overall sense of the fear to step into the 21st century. I’ve seen not wanting to upgrade facilities & “concern” about the campus or funds for NIL. I’ve seen not wanting Mario & “concern” about his FIU tenure. I’ve seen not wanting Ruiz involved w/ NIL & “concern” he’s another Shapiro. Now I’m seeing not wanting a new stadium w/ “concern” of traffic, convenience, Ross playing hard ball.

You replied to me that I shared a lot of “ifs” in regards to ?ing ur concerns, yet ur rebuttals thus far have been nothing more than projected pessimisms, including, but not limited to, stating u’ll “galvanize” the community to make sure this doesn’t happen; all w/o having tuned in to the podcast to hear Johnny’s proposal on behalf of those involved or, worse yet, not even seeing the final landscape or proposal.

U’re acting as if professionals, an elite architect, development, and infrastructure firm is not involved in this. I’m pretty sure they’re well aware of all that’s involved in multi billion $$ development project, so not sure y that was even a point of reference.

But the mere fact that decision-makers have blessed the concept or the idea does not mean that they have blessed, approved or are otherwise in any way involved in Ruiz's Tropical Park idea.

So, from my perspective, until I see something more official, I view the Ruiz Tropical Park stuff as just fun stuff for us to discuss on a message board. That's why I kind of think Billy is right here, regardless who his sources are (or whether he even has any sources at UM).
Corben is not close to right here. Corben didn’t say “Miami doesn’t support this Ruiz stadium initiative”. Corben said “Miami doesn’t want a stadium” because they have HRS.

Rad and other prominent university administrators have made public comments to the contrary. So Corben is wrong. The idea that the University doesn’t want a better stadium situation is silly af and you all look silly suggesting it.

Corben also said UM would lose leverage with HRS having another option on the table. Corben is not only wrong but saying genuinely unhinged things.

Y’all are twisting yourself into knots over this and I don’t get why.

Does the University want a better stadium situation? *Without any doubt*.

Has the University shown interest in the Ruiz effort behind closed doors? Almost *certainly*, based on them wanting a better stadium situation and him being a big booster.

Is the school ready to throw its public weight behind this proposal at this nascent phase? Of course not, there’s nothing to gain yet.

Is this effort in particular a good idea for the school? Depending on deal details, it absolutely could be huge.

It is a good idea for the community? Again, depending on details, it could be. Tropical park is a dump that people just have nostalgia over, and it needs a major face lift and investment. The only major concern I have is transportation infrastructure investment.

You literally said that… “ That's why I kind of think Billy is right here, regardless who his sources are (or whether he even has any sources at UM).”
You are taking that out of context. My original post was: "What he's suggesting is that Ruiz is pushing this idea on his own, without any blessing or approval from the university." That's what I think Billy is right about. I don't think you need sources in that regard because we have nothing public to suggest the university supports any of his efforts (or even wants it?).

They have all said either in press conference or interviews exactly what you are saying there is no evidence of.
Again. Out of context. What I said was "Is there any evidence to suggest that there is any real support on behalf of the university for Ruiz's idea to build a stadium in Tropical Park?" I don't doubt that the decision-makers have expressed an interest in a stadium. They have to. I am just curious if there is any actual connection between Ruiz's efforts and the university. If so, I'm not aware of it.
Sometimes the simplest explanations are the right ones - they are interested but it is not at the point where they are publicly going to comment on it. It’s really not that complicated or uncommon.
Admittedly, yes, this is entirely plausible. But if so, letting Ruiz loose and one day he's mentioning reimagining Coral Gables High (!) and the next Tropical Park seems to be a particularly odd way to run this from the perspective of garnering public support for Ruiz's ideas.

Advertisement
Corben is not close to right here. Corben didn’t say “Miami doesn’t support this Ruiz stadium initiative”. Corben said “Miami doesn’t want a stadium” because they have HRS.

Rad and other prominent university administrators have made public comments to the contrary. So Corben is wrong. The idea that the University doesn’t want a better stadium situation is silly af and you all look silly suggesting it.

Corben also said UM would lose leverage with HRS having another option on the table. Corben is not only wrong but saying genuinely unhinged things.

Y’all are twisting yourself into knots over this and I don’t get why.

Does the University want a better stadium situation? *Without any doubt*.

Has the University shown interest in the Ruiz effort behind closed doors? Almost *certainly*, based on them wanting a better stadium situation and him being a big booster.

Is the school ready to throw its public weight behind this proposal at this nascent phase? Of course not, there’s nothing to gain yet.

Is this effort in particular a good idea for the school? Depending on deal details, it absolutely could be huge.

It is a good idea for the community? Again, depending on details, it could be. Tropical park is a dump that people just have nostalgia over, and it needs a major face lift and investment. The only major concern I have is transportation infrastructure investment.
You are right in the sense that I disregarded what he actually said. I don't think he's a legitimate source of the inner workings of UM. Instead, that's why in my op, I mentioned what I believed he was suggesting ("What he's suggesting is that Ruiz is pushing this idea on his own, without any blessing or approval from the university."). Again, I don't think that's inaccurate.

I think you may also be selling the public benefit short, assuming they want to renovate the full park as mentioned that’s much more than 6-7 Saturdays in the fall and a benefit to many more people than just Miami fans.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Another significant difference between what the Schectman family provided vs. what the Ruiz family is proposing (I acknowledge to only know what has been shared via the Internet), is that Ruiz is committed to improving the existing recreational facilities without loss of a single baseball, soccer or softball field or basketball court or the boxing gym, etc. The capital improvements involved in updating those facilities, the benefit conferred to the public and the savings to Miami-Dade’s CAPEX budget is massive. On the other hand, the Schectman family added lights to trees which looked nice when driving on the Palmetto Expressway. 🙄

I’m not naive enough to think there is no monetary benefit to Ruiz (whether its revenue sharing from games or mixed used real estate development opportunities, etc.), but I see no harm in fully evaluating the Ruiz family proposal on its face because it just “might” benefit the public and the university. If its another scam like what happened with the Orange Bowl, then off with his head.

Last edited:
You are right in the sense that I disregarded what he actually said. I don't think he's a legitimate source of the inner workings of UM. Instead, that's why in my op, I mentioned what I believed he was suggesting ("What he's suggesting is that Ruiz is pushing this idea on his own, without any blessing or approval from the university."). Again, I don't think that's inaccurate.
Yes, he’s making shockingly wacky claims and I’m glad we can agree on that.

As for the suggestion that Ruiz is pushing this idea on his own with no University buy in, I think that’s very unlikely. There’s no reason they would not be onboard with showing interest, listening, and evaluating.

What reason do they have for knee jerk rejecting the proposal from one of their major boosters, when they have stated repeatedly that they want to have a better stadium situation? The only ones doing that, as far as I can tell, are people on this board with some weird nostalgia for a run down park.

+100

Where was the public outcry when the Shechtman family leased Tropical Park for Santa’s Enchanted Forest?

The Shechtman family leased valuable land from Miami-Dade County from 1983 to 2020 to run a “for profit“ business, not because they were filled with Christmas spirit. They took advantage of a pubic park everyday from November until the end of January for 37 years. Yet, the Ruiz family wants to build a stadium that will benefit the University for 6 or 7 Saturdays per year while improving upon the existing facilities and at no cost to taxpayers (allegedly) and people are upset. SMFH!

Do I trust the Ruiz family implicitly given John’s background? Absolutely not. But, the University and Miami-Dade County should carefully evaluate his proposal. To ignore the possibility, is negligent.
Fundamental difference between having temporary structures that are in use for a couple of months and a 60k seat stadium that will need to be occupied for dozens of events per year to make financial sense. Never mind the fact that during construction, that park will likely be useless to the public. People also realize that unlike Santas Enchanted Forest, taxpayers will be expected to foot the bill and seeing how the same citizens are to a man ****ed about the last time they got screwed over by a sports team in the Marlins, I can see why people would be willing to stand up and say something.

Advertisement
Fundamental difference between having temporary structures that are in use for a couple of months and a 60k seat stadium that will need to be occupied for dozens of events per year to make financial sense. Never mind the fact that during construction, that park will likely be useless to the public. People also realize that unlike Santas Enchanted Forest, taxpayers will be expected to foot the bill and seeing how the same citizens are to a man ****ed about the last time they got screwed over by a sports team in the Marlins, I can see why people would be willing to stand up and say something.
Fair and valid points.

At the end of the day, I am in favor of fully evaluating the proposal. I don’t believe the County or the University should dismiss it out right simply because of the Ruiz family or the notion that public parks cannot form partnerships or benefit private institutions or individuals (provided it’s a win-win for those involved).

If after due consideration, the County, University or the public at large do not believe this in their best interest, then so be it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Santa’s enchanted forest was at tropical since the early 80’s. It would open in November and was open daily til January. It’s was open from 5pm daily and closed at 10pm and stayed open longer in the weekends. The weekend traffic was incredible. During thanksgiving weekend forget about it.
During Christmas break the same. It was noisy and bright on a daily basis.

Over 1 million people attended the parking each year.
Thinking that the locals are gonna be up in arms over a stadium is just plain not true.

I think a lot of the fear is that they will do away with the park completely. And I can understand that.
People in that area have a lot of fond memories in that park. I do as well. People want their kids to live out the same memories they did. Sort of like a tradition.

Maybe they’ll relocate the horse stables. I know his son said the boxing gym won’t be touched.
Maybe Ruiz should also talk about what will be left of the park and what will he enhanced.

For those that don’t live in south Florida this is Santa’s enchanted forest

This is tropical park during the day

Fair and valid points.

At the end of the day, I am in favor of fully evaluating the proposal. I don’t believe the County or the University should dismiss it out right simply because of the Ruiz family or the notion that public parks cannot form partnerships or benefit private institutions or individuals (provided it’s a win-win for those involved).

If after due consideration, the County, University or the public at large do not believe this in their best interest, then so be it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What’s so interesting is the goal shifting in this thread.

First it was, look at the world class stadium we’re playing in; we would be fools to leave. Well, now that’s leaking out that our revenue hinderance being tenants there, it became

I’m concerned w/ the traffic. Then it became, I’m concerned w/ how many parking spots are available. Then it became, I’m concerned w/ the tailgating atmosphere. Now it’s, I’m concerned about the park. Lol.

Gawlee, if I wasn’t a fan for 30+ yrs, I would never believe any of this. Lol. Concerned about a park that’s become a dump & grossly uncared for. Lol

I’m anxiously awaiting the next round of straw-man excuses for not wanting it to happen. It amazes me that we have fans actively hoping this doesn’t happen; not pessimistic that it “will” happen, but openly rooting against it happening. Lol.

Advertisement
What’s so interesting is the goal shifting in this thread.

First it was, look at the world class stadium we’re playing in; we would be fools to leave. Well, now that’s leaking out that our revenue hinderance being tenants there, it became

I’m concerned w/ the traffic. Then it became, I’m concerned w/ how many parking spots are available. Then it became, I’m concerned w/ the tailgating atmosphere. Now it’s, I’m concerned about the park. Lol.

Gawlee, if I wasn’t a fan for 30+ yrs, I would never believe any of this. Lol. Concerned about a park that’s become a dump & grossly uncared for. Lol

I’m anxiously awaiting the next round of straw-man excuses for not wanting it to happen. It amazes me that we have fans actively hoping this doesn’t happen; not pessimistic that it “will” happen, but openly rooting against it happening. Lol.
It’s just natural for people to be afraid of change. For people that have lived here all their lives especially in that area and went to school in that area; to say the tropical Park doesn’t exist anymore seems unreal.
They also probably imagine some god-awful brick structure that huge in the middle of a residential area to be some really horrible eyesore.
But if that stadium is gonna be as beautiful as the renderings then I think it’ll be a welcomed site.
I mean Rey’s Pizza and Bird Bowl aren’t exactly beautifying the area.
But we can go down the list of things that we’re torn down in every city in America that had more historic and emotional attachments.

****, the home of the Brooklyn dodgers and the original Yankee stadium were all torn down.

Fair and valid points.

This is the only reasonable take tbh

Advertisement
@Rellyrell As a Miami resident, the biggest impediment to Tropical Park is the current lack of infrastructure to access it (only 1 highway, in only 1 direction). The Palmetto south was a mess around peak entrance hours (Saturday 6-8 pm) for Santa's Enchanted, and that was likely 2000-3000 people(?). A 50-60K stadium would be a nightmare absent significant highway developments to make it easier to access. Hard Rock has a significant advantage in that regard. It is accessible from nearly every direction.

But I'd destroy it in a heartbeat lol. Sorry @rsa coral gables. I like the park and use it on occasion but my irrational love for the Canes trumps all that. I mean, ****, I'd support a stadium in the middle of the Everglades even if it would destroy the entire ecosystem lol.

Wake me up when someone says ANYTHING remotely close to concrete about how they’re gonna cover the billion plus nut this project is going to cost.

And no “privately financed “ isn’t concrete.
right...and as someone else indicated wake me up when the university publicly gets behind the plan.

marlins park cost miami dade taxpayers $2.5 billion. let that sink in.

i can assure if the county has to pay $1, this project will never be approved.

(((Long Reply Warning)))

I think it’s beneath u to resort to name calling or social class assignment who don’t share ur views on this matter. Hence, y I suggested u sit out this thread b/c u’re becoming personally triggered, which is way below ur noble standards, boss. I know u’re good ppl, so don’t stoop or resort to going down a muddy path.

I believe there’s some concerns & some optimism surrounding this project. I also feel that personal views of Ruiz, most likely due to his past indiscretion, makes it hard for some in this fan base to get fully behind. Imho, The Miami fan base, my brothers & sisters have become so snake bitten by all the bull chit that’s surrounded this school (horrible admin, Nevin Shapiro, The OB fiasco, SI story, Yahoo report, **** poor AD, **** poor coaching), that it’s made them either hyper jaded, chitting on any potential good news/waiting for the sky to fall or hyper Kool-Aid drinkers, looking for any glimmer of hope & running a marathon w/ it.

I try to approach everything w/ a balanced view, and maybe that’s b/c of the bull chit I’ve seen & been through vs. overcoming & continuing to overcome said bull chit. Here’s the only things I know in regards to ur concerns:

1. W/in a few weeks, our newly appointed AD went on record to say it would be nice if we had our own stadium closer to the campus

2. Mario & Rad said they wouldn’t have come unless it was proven that The University was fully invested in the program, which included, but not limited to facilities

3. HRS, while a fantastic event venue, is catering to the financial needs of Stephen Ross & his organization, exclusively

4. Ruiz has made good on his promise in regards to doing his part in helping the University, while also promoting his brand via NIL

5. Facility upgrades have already commenced on campus, while further developments are ensuing

6. HKS is an architect firm w/ many political tentacles. They r the ones taking the lead in this project.

7. Johnny went public to emphasize the need for Miami to have their own stadium to:
a. Maximize The U’s revenue stream to continue to sustain success on its own
b. To enhance the overall public usage of Tropical Park as its currently under utilized & neglected

These r all undeniable facts. The unknown is whether The Ruiz family will make good on their claim to validate point 7. We have no idea b/c the final renderings to present are not complete. (When I say renderings, I mean the entire infrastructure including the park’s proposal)

Ur concern about The University’s “interest” should be of no never mind, simply b/c if they weren’t interested, then we would’ve seen a statement stating such. However, it would be logical to assume there is some interest; I mean the stadium renderings have our logo on the field, w/ “Miami” in the EZ. Furthermore, Johnny said this stadium is not on the high priority list right now, as Miami is focused on current projects that immediately benefit the student athletes on campus; but, long term, this is on the docket.

Imo, the problem w/ some in this fan base is the lack of fwd thinking (& in no way is this a shot at u). I’m looking at various threads, & I get this overall sense of the fear to step into the 21st century. I’ve seen not wanting to upgrade facilities & “concern” about the campus or funds for NIL. I’ve seen not wanting Mario & “concern” about his FIU tenure. I’ve seen not wanting Ruiz involved w/ NIL & “concern” he’s another Shapiro. Now I’m seeing not wanting a new stadium w/ “concern” of traffic, convenience, Ross playing hard ball.

You replied to me that I shared a lot of “ifs” in regards to ?ing ur concerns, yet ur rebuttals thus far have been nothing more than projected pessimisms, including, but not limited to, stating u’ll “galvanize” the community to make sure this doesn’t happen; all w/o having tuned in to the podcast to hear Johnny’s proposal on behalf of those involved or, worse yet, not even seeing the final landscape or proposal.

U’re acting as if professionals, an elite architect, development, and infrastructure firm is not involved in this. I’m pretty sure they’re well aware of all that’s involved in multi billion $$ development project, so not sure y that was even a point of reference.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Advertisement
Back