Ruiz Stadium update?

I did say "endowment." It's a valid argument regardless because the money could be donated to UM. So, that makes it an opportunity cost.

This whole ten minutes from campus is meaningless. Who does that benefit?

Not the players. They stay in hotels the night before their games so it doesn't matter where the stadium is.

It's nice for fans that live around Miami, but that's it.

My dentist from Hollywood moved to Coral Gables and then to Bird Road. It is the biggest pain in the *** getting from Hollywood to Bird Road. I won't be going to her after she finishes my dental work.

Traffic will be worse to the new stadium for those outside of Miami much more so than fans from Miami traveling to Hard Rock. Even worse for those in North Broward and Palm Beach.

Miami Gardens is a grest location. That's why the Dolphins play there instead of just knocking down the Orange Bowl and rebuilding.

In the end, it isn't going to matter to me. I'm moving to Tampa next year so, I'll just fly into Miami for games by the time the stadium is built which could be 10 years or sooner if UM can get out of their contract at Hard Rock.
It’s not an opportunity cost unless Ruiz said you can either have a stadium or a check and there is absolutely zero indication that was the case.

Advertisement
I did say "endowment." It's a valid argument regardless because the money could be donated to UM. So, that makes it an opportunity cost.

This whole ten minutes from campus is meaningless. Who does that benefit?

Not the players. They stay in hotels the night before their games so it doesn't matter where the stadium is.

It's nice for fans that live around Miami, but that's it.

My dentist from Hollywood moved to Coral Gables and then to Bird Road. It is the biggest pain in the *** getting from Hollywood to Bird Road. I won't be going to her after she finishes my dental work.

Traffic will be worse to the new stadium for those outside of Miami much more so than fans from Miami traveling to Hard Rock. Even worse for those in North Broward and Palm Beach.

Miami Gardens is a grest location. That's why the Dolphins play there instead of just knocking down the Orange Bowl and rebuilding.

In the end, it isn't going to matter to me. I'm moving to Tampa next year so, I'll just fly into Miami for games by the time the stadium is built which could be 10 years or sooner if UM can get out of their contract at Hard Rock.
No the endowment doesn’t make sense because a stadium isn’t going to be built with cash in the bank, but financed. MAYBE Ruiz would donate some smaller amount if it didn’t happen. Maybe he doesn’t. We don’t know. It’s not the schools money so there’s not an opportunity cost.

Watch the Canesinsifht interview of Johnny Ruiz with D'Money and Peter Ariz. Johnny discusses UM and revenue.
So, someone with an obvious financial incentive to lie or be less than truthful said that. Ruiz and his family benefits from this facility, not only in regards to PR, but from having the development rights. They want this to happen, because they will be the people that cash in, we're just a means to that end.

People also forget one important thing that comes with owning a stadium, MAINTENANCE AND UPKEEP. It's easy to say "Ruiz will pay for the facility, and UMiami can rent it", it's a lot more complicated when the facility starts to be outmoded in 10-12 years as changes need to happen. What happens if Ruiz's dream of a South Florida version of Jerry World doesn't happen(The redevelopment plans for most facilities never truly work out and that's why these facilities become utter boondoggles).

So many of our fans are blinded by the flash and glamour, but they don't think about the day to day, long term issues that will inevitably pop up. I've said it once and I'll say it again: If Ruiz wants to pay full freight and gift the facility to the University or give us a significant ownership stake, then fine. If he can manage to convince the County to give him public land to build a facility, that will cost him billions, then fine. That said, I'm not going to hold my breath. Too many of our fans, most of whom barely show up or donate, just want things because "We needz a stadium brah", they won't be the ones dealing with the aftermath.

I think what matters with a new stadium are the additional revenue streams the school could tap into versus the lower amounts we do get from Ross. We all want the better facilities on campus, elite coaching, and better NIL deals but that comes with a price. We can’t continue to go to Ruiz to bail us out; the school should be looking at it in that light versus HRS hosts big events. There’s also more revenue opportunities than just the 6-7 home games a season (concerts is one example).
You think that Ruiz won't want to tap into those funds when it comes time to renovate or update within a decade? Ruiz will own the facility, full stop. Now, if he gifts the facility(unlikely) or gives us a huge ownership stake, then it becomes a lot more feasible. Then again, if that was the case, people like Rad would be talking nonstop about it.

Do you really believe Ruiz is doing all of this without the school’s leadership (Mario, Rad, Echevarria, Etc.) signing off on it and telling him to be dropping their name in all of this?
Why, yes. What have we seen out of Ruiz's history that suggests he is careful, considerate, or precise in his public statements?

Folks here appear to be bashing Corben's statement simply because it's coming from him, instead of assessing what he's actually saying. What he's suggesting is that Ruiz is pushing this idea on his own, without any blessing or approval from the university. If that's the case, then all of this is just speculation and fun message board fodder. That doesn't make him a hater, just a realist.

Advertisement
Why, yes. What have we seen out of Ruiz's history that suggests he is careful, considerate, or precise in his public statements?

Folks here appear to be bashing Corben's statement simply because it's coming from him, instead of assessing what he's actually saying. What he's suggesting is that Ruiz is pushing this idea on his own, without any blessing or approval from the university. If that's the case, then all of this is just speculation and fun message board fodder. That doesn't make him a hater, just a realist.
Except Mario, Rad, and Fernandez have all separately made comments about the need for a stadium closer to campus or at minimum willingness to run the numbers.

I am not bashing Corben’s statements because they are coming from him. I am questioning his statements because his sources are a guy who was trying to leak stuff to keep Manny Diaz and another guy who’s salty because his family donated some money in the 70s and let the facility bearing their name go to ****, and throughout the last 9-12 months those sources have proven to be wrong. I also question how a Miami fan would side with those people when they were trying to undermine the process to get Mario here and were the reason the national media latched onto the narrative that our search was a ****show. You can say what you want about Ruiz being self serving, and that’s fine, I agree, but you can’t ignore the other folks having their own selfish motives, including Corben.

Last edited:
Except Mario, Rad, and Fernandez have all separately made comments about the need for a stadium closer to campus or at minimum willingness to run the numbers.

I am not bashing Corben’s statements because they are coming from him. I am questioning his statements because his sources are a guy who was trying to leak stuff to keep Manny Diaz and another guy whose salty because his family donated some money in the 70s and let the facility bearing their name go to ****, and throughout the last 9-12 months those sources have proven to be wrong. I also question how a Miami fan would side with those people when they were trying to undermine the process to get Mario here and were the reason the national media latched onto the narrative that our search was a ****show. You can say what you want about Ruiz being self serving, and that’s fine, I agree, but you can’t ignore the other folks having their own selfish motives, including Corben.
But the mere fact that decision-makers have blessed the concept or the idea does not mean that they have blessed, approved or are otherwise in any way involved in Ruiz's Tropical Park idea.

So, from my perspective, until I see something more official, I view the Ruiz Tropical Park stuff as just fun stuff for us to discuss on a message board. That's why I kind of think Billy is right here, regardless who his sources are (or whether he even has any sources at UM).

I would also assume we don't wait until the last second to start negotiating a lease extension, so we know what our options are going to be. Since the Ruiz stadium has not even broke ground or been finalized, it looks like we are locked into Hard Rock for several more years.
i am going to assume there is a lease renewal right in the existing lease, which is typical and commercially reasonable.

i think the lease term expires in 7 years. ruiz is 8-10 years from building a stadium at tropical, if at all.

But the mere fact that decision-makers have blessed the concept or the idea does not mean that they have blessed, approved or are otherwise in any way involved in Ruiz's Tropical Park idea.

So, from my perspective, until I see something more official, I view the Ruiz Tropical Park stuff as just fun stuff for us to discuss on a message board. That's why I kind of think Billy is right here, regardless who his sources are (or whether he even has any sources at UM).
So Corben could literally have no sources and be throwing **** against the wall, and you would think Corben is right. Makes sense.

Advertisement
But u haven’t seen the full details. Lol.

Listen, I’m on board w/ u regarding parks. Part of our climate issue is not respecting parks. However, it appears the goal is to both enhance the already established stadium on site to fit our needs while enhancing a park that’s gone to the wasteside. It’s been years since I’ve been to Tropical Park, but everyone keeps saying the same thing; it’s underutilized & haven’t been given the TLC it deserves.

Maybe I could sympathize w/ those who oppose from ur vantage point IF the park was being properly cared for or used. Right now, it feels more of a jockeying, arms folded debate.
+100

Where was the public outcry when the Shechtman family leased Tropical Park for Santa’s Enchanted Forest?

The Shechtman family leased valuable land from Miami-Dade County from 1983 to 2020 to run a “for profit“ business, not because they were filled with Christmas spirit. They took advantage of a pubic park everyday from November until the end of January for 37 years. Yet, the Ruiz family wants to build a stadium that will benefit the University for 6 or 7 Saturdays per year while improving upon the existing facilities and at no cost to taxpayers (allegedly) and people are upset. SMFH!

Do I trust the Ruiz family implicitly given John’s background? Absolutely not. But, the University and Miami-Dade County should carefully evaluate his proposal. To ignore the possibility, is negligent.

the university has nothing to gain from supporting or not supporting the stadium, although i am sure they have al privately said they would conceptually support, as, from their perspective, they should. but i dont think they officially want to hitch their wagon to Ruiz just yet. 95% of the video game addicts posters on this board have no idea what it takes to build a $2B-$3B real estate development project. remember, the development of OTHER real estate phases (office, retail, hotel etc.) is what makes the stadium financially viable for Ruiz. he is copying Mas' and Beckham's Mel Reese template (not original to them). it takes a seasoned, well-capitalized team with expertise in capital markets, development, infrastructure, political issues and real estate among others to pull this off. therefore, putting Johnny Jr in front is risible at best. compare him and Ruiz's existing team to Mas' and Beckham's team

+100

Where was the public outcry when the Shechtman family leased Tropical Park for Santa’s Enchanted Forest?

The Shechtman family leased valuable land from Miami-Dade County from 1983 to 2020 to run a “for profit“ business, not because they were filled with Christmas spirit. They took advantage of a pubic park everyday from November until the end of January for 37 years. Yet, the Ruiz family wants to build a stadium that will benefit the University for 6 or 7 Saturdays per year while improving upon the existing facilities and at no cost to taxpayers (allegedly) and people are upset. SMFH!

Do I trust the Ruiz family implicitly given John’s background? Absolutely not. But, the University and Miami-Dade County should carefully evaluate his proposal. To ignore the possibility, is negligent.
santa's enchanted forest is at the same scale as a multi billion total redevelopment of the park with a stadium.

Advertisement
So Corben could literally have no sources and be throwing **** against the wall, and you would think Corben is right. Makes sense.
That's not what I've suggested at all. I am not going to argue about Corben and his sources and whether he even has any. I don't care about that. My question is simple. Is there any evidence to suggest that there is any real support on behalf of the university for Ruiz's idea to build a stadium in Tropical Park? Because from what I've seen, it appears to me to be a "lone wolf" not some university-endorsed initiative.

The stadium discussion is fun. I think every Cane fan wants a stadium to call our own. But I'm frankly asleep at most of the news because it sounds to me like just pure fantasy.

That's not what I've suggested at all. I am not going to argue about Corben and his sources and whether he even has any. I don't care about that. My question is simple. Is there any evidence to suggest that there is any real support on behalf of the university for Ruiz's idea to build a stadium in Tropical Park? Because from what I've seen, it appears to me to be a "lone wolf" not some university-endorsed initiative.

The stadium discussion is fun. I think every Cane fan wants a stadium to call our own. But I'm frankly asleep at most of the news because it sounds to me like just pure fantasy.
I don’t agree that’s its “pure fantasy” (the renderings alone move it up a notch or two), but I do agree we (fans) should not take this too seriously until there is public support from the University and confirmed interest from Miami-Dade County.

I don’t agree that’s its “pure fantasy” (the renderings alone move it up a notch or two), but I do agree we (fans) should not take this too seriously until there is public support from the University and confirmed interest from Miami-Dade County.
I agree with this.

As an aside, I am half-joking when I say that I think the ideal situation is that someone spares Miami the awful baseball the Marlins have churned out here for years and relocates that franchise and then UM can take that stadium back.

Advertisement
It’s not. But, it’s an example of using a public park (Tropical Park for that matter) for private purposes which many (including you) decry.
most public parks have private leases (ie concessions), but most public parks don't turn over control and quasi-ownership of the park to private entities in exchange for rent for a period of 99 years.

I’m 100% for us having our own stadium. As an alumni, this would be something that I could get behind.

At the same time, until some of the serious obstacles are addressed, for example voter support, without which this will not move one single inch forward, then I’m going to put this in the category of “let these guys work it out, and let me know when you’ve got a deal in hand, or are very close“

You literally said that… “ That's why I kind of think Billy is right here, regardless who his sources are (or whether he even has any sources at UM).” All of our leaders mentioned have said in the last 6-12 months that they feel at minimum we need to explore the process if not more explicitly saying we need it. They have all said either in press conference or interviews exactly what you are saying there is no evidence of.

I don’t know what more to tell you but your head is in the sand if you think they would not have told him to leave their name out of it at this point if they weren’t at minimum interested in the idea. Unless you think they would have told him that and for some reason he would have continued doing it anyways. Sometimes the simplest explanations are the right ones - they are interested but it is not at the point where they are publicly going to comment on it. It’s really not that complicated or uncommon.

You literally said that… “ That's why I kind of think Billy is right here, regardless who his sources are (or whether he even has any sources at UM).” All of our leaders mentioned have said in the last 6-12 months that they feel at minimum we need to explore the process if not more explicitly saying we need it. They have all said either in press conference or interviews exactly what you are saying there is no evidence of.

I don’t know what more to tell you but your head is in the sand if you think they would not have told him to leave their name out of it at this point if they weren’t at minimum interested in the idea. Unless you think they would have told him that and for some reason he would have continued doing it anyways. Sometimes the simplest explanations are the right ones - they are interested but it is not at the point where they are publicly going to comment on it. It’s really not that complicated or uncommon.

UM already said they would like a better stadium situation, RAD said it, but that doesn't mean they endorse this proposal and this promoter. they might have told Ruiz to run with it, but between no support and full blow support there is a lot of real estate. Ruiz is not the best guy to lead the political charge for this project, in fact he is one of the worse that I can think of.

and UM needs to diversify its NIL support so that Ruiz isn't the main guy because if they end up getting a better deal at HRS on the next go-around and staying at HRS they don't want to spurn Ruiz from supporting NIL.

Advertisement
Back