Ruiz Stadium update?

By Corben's "logic" we should just assume Ruiz is lying here and has gone completely rogue with zero communication with anyone of any stature at UM.....and that the school is just too lazy to push back on his efforts in ANY manner as he weakens their "leverage" at their desired home for the next 30 years.

Wait wut. This is literally the stupidest **** I’ve ever heard him say lol. That’s literally the opposite of how leverage works. You have leverage when you have *more* potential options, not when the counter party knows they’re the only option lmao.

Corben is off the rails with baseless statements and gold medal mental gymnastics here.

Advertisement
i appreciate the respect, which you know is reciprocated.

first, a lot of IFs in your statement.

second, as a citizen of the country, as a user of the current facilities and as a conservative, i don't believe that a public park should be used as a football stadium and for private real estate development. among other things, people forget the second part which Ruiz will need to have other commercial activities (office, hotel, retail etc.) at the park in order to fund the building of the stadium and infrastructure, which i cannot see will be less than $1B.

i am an alum, long time season ticket holder, live 10 minutes from the park, my parents live with 250 feet from the park and it would be great to ride to my parents' house, park there (no blockee) and walk to the game. i'll pass for the above reasons.

But u haven’t seen the full details. Lol.

Listen, I’m on board w/ u regarding parks. Part of our climate issue is not respecting parks. However, it appears the goal is to both enhance the already established stadium on site to fit our needs while enhancing a park that’s gone to the wasteside. It’s been years since I’ve been to Tropical Park, but everyone keeps saying the same thing; it’s underutilized & haven’t been given the TLC it deserves.

Maybe I could sympathize w/ those who oppose from ur vantage point IF the park was being properly cared for or used. Right now, it feels more of a jockeying, arms folded debate.

Last edited:
By Corben's "logic" we should just assume Ruiz is lying here and has gone completely rogue with zero communication with anyone of any stature at UM.....and that the school is just too lazy to push back on his efforts in ANY manner as he weakens their "leverage" at their desired home for the next 30 years.

Corben’s argument is that by trying to build our own stadium, we are giving Ross more leverage to fvck us on the next deal. That makes zero sense. Wouldn’t the opposite be true?

Our argument should be, we’re going to build our own stadium, unless you give us a very favorable deal. Access to an alternative avenue gives us the leverage, not Ross.

Last edited:
What if this Ruiz stadium talk only a ruse for UM to renegotiate a better deal with HRS?

Theory Is It Though GIF by PragerU

Unless it's touted as a "spring" I find most freshwater bodies of water in this state as beyond suspect to ever enter. And I say that as someone that only had lakes and filthy rivers as my local bodies of water growing up.

Apologies to anybody that grew up jumping in canals. You're a special breed.
Lived in Quincy MA for years, home of original granite quarries. Lot of damage done by jumping into water filled quarries.

Advertisement
There’s a stark difference between thinking it “not happening” vs. a poster saying they’re going to lead the charge to ensure it doesn’t happen. Do u see the contrast?
Playing video games would be more productive. 😂

I can't speak for @rsa coral gables, but for me it's not that I don't want this to happen (I personally think it would be amazing if done right), it's just that I think the chances are very very low of it happening and I don't like to see people get duped. I've been following Miami politics for too long to not see that this has a very low chance of survival. The University has not endorsed the idea, the County has not endorsed the idea... It's just Johnny Ruiz tweeting out some drawings. Remember, this is the same family that thought they could bulldoze Gables High a few months ago lol
Do you really believe Ruiz is doing all of this without the school’s leadership (Mario, Rad, Echevarria, Etc.) signing off on it and telling him to be dropping their name in all of this?

Didn’t know u were a Tulane alum; one of my little cousins just graduated from Tulane last yr.

Yes, education is extremely important in my family. Lol. Have graduates from Tulane, Pepperdine, USC, UofM, Norfolk, Arizona, West Point, DePaul all w/in the past 5 yrs, & two more graduating from Duke, & Illinois in the next 2 yrs. All my baby cousins, man, & had a hand in all of their journeys. You’ll also notice they are Nike schools b/c they ALL know better. Lol
Well done mate, we’ll done indeed!!!

Advertisement
I think what matters with a new stadium are the additional revenue streams the school could tap into versus the lower amounts we do get from Ross. We all want the better facilities on campus, elite coaching, and better NIL deals but that comes with a price. We can’t continue to go to Ruiz to bail us out; the school should be looking at it in that light versus HRS hosts big events. There’s also more revenue opportunities than just the 6-7 home games a season (concerts is one example).
The financial reality is it's probably not worth it. What has to be considered is the opportunity cost. That's what could they do with the money if they didn't build a stadium.

UM saying they are capped at Hard Rock in the revenue they can make. I agree with that. However, revenue at Hard Rock + a $300M endowment invested is a whole other story.

As I stated previously, I think this more about UM showing it's invested in football and divesting itself from the Dolphins.

It's just ironic that Pitt is the opposite. They embrace their relationship with the Steelers and have co-practice facilities on top of the shared stadium.

Advertisement
The financial reality is it's probably not worth it. What has to be considered is the opportunity cost. That's what could they do with the money if they didn't build a stadium.

UM saying they are capped at Hard Rock in the revenue they can make. I agree with that. However, revenue at Hard Rock + a $300M endowment invested is a whole other story.

As I stated previously, I think this more about UM showing it's invested in football and divesting itself from the Dolphins.

It's just ironic that Pitt is the opposite. They embrace their relationship with the Steelers and have co-practice facilities on top of the shared stadium.

what is your source for this statement of fact?

Advertisement

This would be a viable argument if it was UM’s money building the stadium. It is not. It’s faaaaar from automatic that Ruiz just gives the school the equivalent cash in hand if the stadium doesn’t get made, and by far I mean 99% sure not happening.

The options actually on the table right now are being locked into HRS with no options and no leverage, or having a UM stadium 10 minutes from campus. There is no cash option “opportunity cost” on the table as far as we know.

I don’t live in that neighborhood now.
But I did in the past. I went to southwest and that neighborhood’s demographic has changed dramatically over the years.
I got recruited by the Marines at the office in bird right next to tropical.

If you would’ve told me that this was going to happen in the 90’s I would’ve said good luck.
Now I don’t think the blowback would be as loud as it was in the past.

Now if your saying the people in south Miami then that’s a totally different argument.
The money and power isn’t in La sawesera. It’s south of Miller and east of 87. But it’s a small number but wealthy. Idk if that’s gonna be enough if the people that are for it start greasing the wheels of sofla politics.
This is the type of project that will polarize a community like that. It’s not gonna be a direct **** no.
JMO

But let’s be honest. The retail shops and strip malls/restaurants along bird would totally benefit from it.

I actually went by a few weeks ago to look at tropical just because of the possible stadium. Very nostalgic and emotional for me.

Yes I’m being selfish. I don’t live there anymore.

This is the same neighborhood that dealt with Santa’s enchanted forest for like 20 years and nobody gave a Fck.

Now 6 games out of the year is a **** problem?
Ice Cube Movie GIF

This would be a viable argument if it was UM’s money building the stadium. It is not. It’s faaaaar from automatic that Ruiz just gives the school the equivalent cash in hand if the stadium doesn’t get made, and by far I mean 99% sure not happening.

The options actually on the table right now are being locked into HRS with no options and no leverage, or having a UM stadium 10 minutes from campus. There is no cash option “opportunity cost” on the table as far as we know.
I did say "endowment." It's a valid argument regardless because the money could be donated to UM. So, that makes it an opportunity cost.

This whole ten minutes from campus is meaningless. Who does that benefit?

Not the players. They stay in hotels the night before their games so it doesn't matter where the stadium is.

It's nice for fans that live around Miami, but that's it.

My dentist from Hollywood moved to Coral Gables and then to Bird Road. It is the biggest pain in the *** getting from Hollywood to Bird Road. I won't be going to her after she finishes my dental work.

Traffic will be worse to the new stadium for those outside of Miami much more so than fans from Miami traveling to Hard Rock. Even worse for those in North Broward and Palm Beach.

Miami Gardens is a grest location. That's why the Dolphins play there instead of just knocking down the Orange Bowl and rebuilding.

In the end, it isn't going to matter to me. I'm moving to Tampa next year so, I'll just fly into Miami for games by the time the stadium is built which could be 10 years or sooner if UM can get out of their contract at Hard Rock.

Advertisement
Back