Ruiz Stadium update?

some local-based pertinent, realistic perspective.

btw, the beckham deal was dead until the Mas family got involved.
Exactly. The Beckham stadium is the classic “who you know” scenario. Seems like he didn’t have the right connections when he got the team going.

With Ruiz it seems like Everything that has been happening to this team has occurred as if had already been set in motion. Wouldn’t be surprised if it starts going down sooner than later.

But it is south Florida politics so stay cautiously optimistic.

Advertisement
To me having been to both stadiums. The ob was intimidating cause the parking areas (not lots) were really simple and closer to the building. Hard rock’s parking lot is an amusement park. And the fans are really spread out. The visiting team busses don’t even always see fans. You can’t really get close to visiting tunnel from the parking lot like you could in the ob. It’s pretty relaxing for a visiting team. It’s not the building itself. The setting is a football Disney. A GA section would be nice to bring back. The west endzone was accessible and scary af. getting people in seats during warm ups is rare at hard rock. Gotta fix that.

A few things I’d like to see. Keep premium seating to one area. Keep club level seats 4-5 rows in front of the suites. Way too many premium options at hard rock. Most of them can’t be bothered with noise on 3rd down. Put the students from the tunnel on the visiting side to about the 20 yard line. Don’t make 50 yard line seats premium. More expensive fine but not at highest donor level. Let home fans line up reasonably close to visiting tunnel from parking lot. Things like this make a diff. Maybe have a sound effect throughout lot when visiting busses arrive?
The ob was intimadating cause of chain link around the top, back to the fence drinking & smokin. Best "seat" in the house!

Looks like a NFL stadium that will cost billions.. Sofi stadium cost 5 billion dollars to build and holds 70K people, this stadium will supposedly hold 65K. The architect who made these renders designed SoFi. I just don't see it happening but we will see
If it happens, for it to be useful, it's going to have a huge price tag. Without state funding, that's going to be a huge ask of our donor base. That said, if it happens, then great.

Who’s the resident “know it all?”
The individual whose post I was responding to. It’s a rare quality to be so condescending and so consistently wrong about so many things.

The Boot! That was my go-to in high school lol
That’s where I watched Ed Reed steal the ball and seal our trip to the ship. I think everyone I know from New Orleans said the same thing about the Boot. I need to get back for Jazzfest this year.

Advertisement
Name another geographically southern/socially northeastern private school shoehorned in a wealthy suburb of a multicultural city that has a similar undergraduate enrollment, distant alumni base, and academic profile/ranking that plays football in a pro sports town.

Now find one that also happened to play at an off-campus stadium that hosts practically every major sporting/entertainment event.

It's a valid comparison for the underlying point I was making to the "but F1" bros, which is that the **** event calendar at your landlord's facility doesn't change the fact that you're still playing a facility that in no way feels like your own home. And if a school like Tulane--whose football program is a comparative afterthought--realizes this, then it should be beyond a no brainer for us.

At this point, I'm of the view that the opposition to this plan is exclusively coming from people who are selfishly concerned with their commute.
Tulane will never win anything. So, in essence, you are saying that we should be so incredibly desperate for our own facility, we should be willing to trade in being a competitive program for that. We could build a garbage erector set stadium and go 7-5 forever(if that) but the school would ditch the program eventually. This project can't be half-assed, it has to be worthwhile, and that costs billions. Good luck with that.

The issue is that 1) unlike Tulane, SMU, and some other city schools, we actually have aspirations beyond 7-5 and 2) those schools actually had space on campus to build. Pitt is in a similar boat as us, but unlike us, they chose to tear down their ON CAMPUS STADIUM. Pitt could have renovated Pitt Stadium, but they took the easy way out.

I don’t know if you’re following my point or not, what I’m saying is that HKS, which is obviously very reputable architecture firm, doing a rendering is no indication of what the actual probability of success is for the purported project.

When I said if I give them the money they’ll do a rendering for me, this is what I meant. The Ruiz family is legit, but that doesn’t mean that the project is more probable just because HKS did a rendering.
Agree, but...
If HKS is/has been retained to do a full blown presentation, that could (probably will) change the project perception with the powers-that-be.
I'm talking virtual walk-thru's and fly-overs of the entire site.

Whether it tips them our way or not, we shall see. But if HKS does their thing, it will sure give them something to think about.
Don't forget, they're invested in this as well.
If this is approved, HKS's fee (5%?) will be in the $100 mil range.

The individual whose post I was responding to. It’s a rare quality to be so condescending and so consistently wrong about so many things.

That’s where I watched Ed Reed steal the ball and seal our trip to the ship. I think everyone I know from New Orleans said the same thing about the Boot. I need to get back for Jazzfest this year.

Didn’t know u were a Tulane alum; one of my little cousins just graduated from Tulane last yr.

Yes, education is extremely important in my family. Lol. Have graduates from Tulane, Pepperdine, USC, UofM, Norfolk, Arizona, West Point, DePaul all w/in the past 5 yrs, & two more graduating from Duke, & Illinois in the next 2 yrs. All my baby cousins, man, & had a hand in all of their journeys. You’ll also notice they are Nike schools b/c they ALL know better. Lol

Last edited:
Tulane will never win anything. So, in essence, you are saying that we should be so incredibly desperate for our own facility, we should be willing to trade in being a competitive program for that. We could build a garbage erector set stadium and go 7-5 forever(if that) but the school would ditch the program eventually. This project can't be half-assed, it has to be worthwhile, and that costs billions. Good luck with that.

The issue is that 1) unlike Tulane, SMU, and some other city schools, we actually have aspirations beyond 7-5 and 2) those schools actually had space on campus to build. Pitt is in a similar boat as us, but unlike us, they chose to tear down their ON CAMPUS STADIUM. Pitt could have renovated Pitt Stadium, but they took the easy way out.

Ur point about Pitt is a bit misleading; It’s not they just chose not to renovate their stadium, but the Rooney family, w/ Art II being an alum & his father having deep ties to the Pitt community, created a co-op partnership w/ The Panthers. Who wouldn’t take that deal? Pitt’s facilities r directly tied in w/ The Steelers’ facilities. When Pitt practices, The Steelers are practicing across from them on their field. The two situations are night & day different in regards to relationship. Pitt & Pittsburgh have a partnership.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Didn’t know u were a Tulane alum; one of my little cousins just graduated from Tulane last yr.

Yes, education is extremely important in my family. Lol. Have graduates from Tulane, Pepperdine, USC, UofM, Norfolk, Arizona, West Point, DePaul all w/in the past 5 yrs, & two more graduating from Duke, & Illinois in the next 2 yrs. All my baby cousins man & had a hand in all of their journeys. You’ll also notice they are Nike schools b/c they ALL know better. Lol
That’s incredible and all over the map! I hope your cousin had as good of an experience as I did. It’s an incredible city to learn about food, music, art, and history. They did a really nice job with the stadium too. I bet those were some fun tailgates

And there’s no reason they shouldn’t have a good football team for their level (a UCF for that area). People don’t realize how close they were to a nice run. Tommy Bowden left after the year they went undefeated. They were going to choose one of the coordinators and chose defensive. The offensive coordinator was Rich Rodriguez. How’s that for a fork in the road. That and deciding to leave the SEC.

They just put the Mas Brothers and David Beckham through 10 years of pain before getting their stadium approved, and that was to build on a golf course, not a well-used and popular public park. And that was the City of Miami, which is generally more development friendly that Miami-Dade County, which has jurisdiction over Tropical Park. You're right that Ruiz is a big money guy, but I'm not sure that he has the local political clout to make this happen.
There are several factors that distinguish the InterMiami situation from what Ruiz is seeking. Among them are...

1. The City of Miami vs. Miami-Dade County - I would argue that it just might be easier to persuade the County. The City of Miami is still reeling from the public embarrassment arising from the Marlins' deal. 60 minutes did an expose on that transaction, which made Miami city officials and its residents look like fools (deservedly so...especially the politicians). Ruiz must negotiate with the County, not the City of Miami (a point too often missed in this thread). Therefore, the baggage from the Marlins deal does not apply to some extent.

2. Tropical Park vs. Melreese - While both are public parks, a material difference is there already exists a large football stadium at TP. The current stadium is used by nearly every high school located south of Flagler. Unlike other states, public (and most private) high schools in South Florida do not have on-campus football facilities. This proposal would relocate that stadium and drastically improve those facilities, which directly benefits the Miami-Dade County School System.

3. Ancillary Facilities - The improvements proposed Mas and Beckham are primarily designed to benefit the futbol club. Ruiz is proposing to improve the entire park. This includes the soccer, fields, baseball/softball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. That's a massive recreational benefit for County residents and a huge monetary benefit to the County.

I agree Ruiz lacks the political clout, but unlike the Marlins deal, Ruiz seems to propose a privately funded facility that truly benefits both the private sector (UM) and the the public sector (County residents), while saving the government millions of dollars.

Miami-Dade County would be negligent not to listen.

Last edited:
That’s incredible and all over the map! I hope your cousin had as good of an experience as I did. It’s an incredible city to learn about food, music, art, and history. They did a really nice job with the stadium too. I bet those were some fun tailgates

And there’s no reason they shouldn’t have a good football team for their level (a UCF for that area). People don’t realize how close they were to a nice run. Tommy Bowden left after the year they went undefeated. They were going to choose one of the coordinators and chose defensive. The offensive coordinator was Rich Rodriguez. How’s that for a fork in the road. That and deciding to leave the SEC.

So part of the experience of being a big cousin is going on campus w/ them. Lol. I loved Tulane, & she thoroughly enjoyed her experience. I think she was home sick for like 2 secs. Lol.

I agree, w/ the natural resources around Tulane, they have zero excuses not to bring in at least the tier 2 athletes from the immediate area. Beautiful campus w/ great access to high caliber athletes, even those who may not get the P5 offers.

Last edited:
There are several factors that distinguish the InterMiami situation from what Ruiz is seeking. Among them are...

1. The City of Miami vs. Miami-Dade County - I would argue that it just might be easier to persuade the County. The City of Miami is still reeling from the public embarrassment arising from the Marlins' deal. 60 minutes did an expose on that transaction, which made Miami city officials and its residents look like fools (deservedly so...especially the politicians). To some extent, Ruiz does not have to overcome that baggage with the County.
THE COUNTY GOT BURNED JUST AS BAD AS THE CITY. THE MAYOR AND ONE IF NOT TWO COMMISSIONERS WERE RECALLED. THEN WHEN THE MARLINS WERE SOLD, THE COUNTY GOT A PITTANCE FROM THE SALE AND LITIGATED AGAINST THE MARLINS OVER IT. TRUST ME FROM TALKING WITH COMMISSION STAFFERS, THE SOUR TASTE HASNT LEFT. IN ADDITION, THE MAYOR AND MANY OF THE COMMISSIONERS WILL BE OPENLY AGAINST IT. YOU NEED AT LEAST THE MAYOR TO GALVANIZE SUPPORT. THE CITY OF MIAMI WAS AND IS A SIGNIFICANTLY EASIER HURDLE CONSIDERING YOU HAVE A FAVORABLE MAYOR AND NEED ONLY 4 VOTES. AT THE COUNTY, YOU NEED MORE VOTES AND A REFERENDUM
2. Tropical Park vs. Melreese - While both are public parks, a material difference is that there already exists a football stadium at TP. The current stadium is used by nearly every high school located south of Flagler. Unlike other states, public (and most private) high schools in south Florida do not have on-campus football facilities. This proposal would relocate that stadium and drastically improve those facilities, which directly benefits the Miami-Dade County School System.
FIRST MISTAKE IS THAT MEL REESE IS NOT A PUBLIC PARK, IT IS A GOLF COURSE. SECOND, THE PARK IS USED 99% OF THE TIME FOR EVENTS OTHER THAN FOOTBALL. FOOTBALL IS ALMOST NEGLIGIBLE. NONE OF THE FACILITIES AT TROPICAL PARK BENEFIT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. HUH?
3. Ancillary Facilities - The improvements proposed Mas and Beckham are primarily designed to benefit the futbol club. Ruiz is proposing to improve the entire park. This includes the soccer, fields, baseball/softball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. That's a massive recreational benefit for County residents and a huge monetary benefit to the County.
WRONG, MEL REESE IMPROVEMENTS IMPROVE THE GREEN AREAS AND THE SOCCER COMPONENT, IN FACT THE ENTIRE FOOT PRINT, JUST LIKE THE PLAN AT TROPICAL. YOU DONT HAVE IMPROVEMENTS OF FIELDS AND COURTS AT MEL REESE BECAUSE THEY DONT EXIST.
I agree Ruiz lacks the political clout, but unlike the Marlins deal, Ruiz seems to propose a privately funded facility that truly benefits both the private sector (UM) and the the public sector (County residents), while saving the government millions of dollars.
THE MEL REESE IS 100% PRIVATELY FUNDED ALSO. THE REST OF YOUR STATEMENT IS IRRELEVANT
my response in CAPS under your statements. respectfully, i believe you are way off in your statements.

you must not live here or alternatively you know little about the area or alternatively you played or play too many video games.

Advertisement

1. The City of Miami vs. Miami-Dade County - I would argue that it just might be easier to persuade the County. The City of Miami is still reeling from the public embarrassment arising from the Marlins' deal. 60 minutes did an expose on that transaction, which made Miami city officials and its residents look like fools (deservedly so...especially the politicians). Ruiz must negotiate with the County, not the City of Miami (a point too often missed in this thread). Therefore, the baggage from the Marlins deal does not apply to some extent.

2. Tropical Park vs. Melreese - While both are public parks, a material difference is there already exists a large football stadium at TP. The current stadium is used by nearly every high school located south of Flagler. Unlike other states, public (and most private) high schools in South Florida do not have on-campus football facilities. This proposal would relocate that stadium and drastically improve those facilities, which directly benefits the Miami-Dade County School System.

I don't totally disagree with you -- it's not IMPOSSIBLE, but it would be a serious political undertaking given the amount of community backlash that would likely come up. The Melreese deal wouldn't have gotten off the ground if the City Mayor wasn't its biggest cheerleader.

A couple other things to remember on your points above:
1. The County ended up providing the lion's share of the funding for Marlins Park, so the egg is on their face too.
2. I agree that the HS football stadium already being there is an advantage -- but where would they relocate the HS facilities? If they stay at Tropical, that's more park space you're eating into.
3. The Melreese deal includes a total overhaul of the golf course into a public park at the expense of the Mas group -- it's like a $100 million private investment. I doubt Ruiz is willing to put that much $$$ into park improvements, but even if he is, Tropical Park is already in decent shape and well-used, so I'm not sure how much it would move the needle.

Edit: ****, @rsa coral gables beat me to it lol

I don't totally disagree with you -- it's not IMPOSSIBLE, but it would be a serious political undertaking given the amount of community backlash that would likely come up. The Melreese deal wouldn't have gotten off the ground if the City Mayor wasn't its biggest cheerleader.

A couple other things to remember on your points above:
1. The County ended up providing the lion's share of the funding for Marlins Park, so the egg is on their face too.
2. I agree that the HS football stadium already being there is an advantage -- but where would they relocate the HS facilities? If they stay at Tropical, that's more park space you're eating into.
3. The Melreese deal includes a total overhaul of the golf course into a public park at the expense of the Mas group -- it's like a $100 million private investment. I doubt Ruiz is willing to put that much $$$ into park improvements, but even if he is, Tropical Park is already in decent shape and well-used, so I'm not sure how much it would move the needle.

Edit: ****, @rsa coral gables beat me to it lol

the investment JUST to remediate the environmental contamination is $100 million ALONE. the other capital requirements for the stadium, infrastructure, green space, office, hotel retail are way north of $1B.

THE COUNTY GOT BURNED JUST AS BAD AS THE CITY. THE MAYOR AND ONE IF NOT TWO COMMISSIONERS WERE RECALLED. THEN WHEN THE MARLINS WERE SOLD, THE COUNTY GOT A PITTANCE FROM THE SALE AND LITIGATED AGAINST THE MARLINS OVER IT. TRUST ME FROM TALKING WITH COMMISSION STAFFERS, THE SOUR TASTE HASNT LEFT. IN ADDITION, THE MAYOR AND MANY OF THE COMMISSIONERS WILL BE OPENLY AGAINST IT. YOU NEED AT LEAST THE MAYOR TO GALVANIZE SUPPORT. THE CITY OF MIAMI WAS AND IS A SIGNIFICANTLY EASIER HURDLE CONSIDERING YOU HAVE A FAVORABLE MAYOR AND NEED ONLY 4 VOTES. AT THE COUNTY, YOU NEED MORE VOTES AND A REFERENDUM

FIRST MISTAKE IS THAT MEL REESE IS NOT A PUBLIC PARK, IT IS A GOLF COURSE. SECOND, THE PARK IS USED 99% OF THE TIME FOR EVENTS OTHER THAN FOOTBALL. FOOTBALL IS ALMOST NEGLIGIBLE. NONE OF THE FACILITIES AT TROPICAL PARK BENEFIT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. HUH?

WRONG, MEL REESE IMPROVEMENTS IMPROVE THE GREEN AREAS AND THE SOCCER COMPONENT, IN FACT THE ENTIRE FOOT PRINT, JUST LIKE THE PLAN AT TROPICAL. YOU DONT HAVE IMPROVEMENTS OF FIELDS AND COURTS AT MEL REESE BECAUSE THEY DONT EXIST.

THE MEL REESE IS 100% PRIVATELY FUNDED ALSO. THE REST OF YOUR STATEMENT IS IRRELEVANT

my response in CAPS under your statements. respectfully, i believe you are way off in your statements.

you must not live here or alternatively you know little about the area or alternatively you played or play too many video games.
You mad? Sheesh.

I don,t have time to debate you but the bold part is simply false. Melreese is a City-owned golf course that is privately managed. Therefore, it is a public park. Note: I did not have to use all caps to get my point across. I’d provide the link, but I’m too lazy and need to run.

As for the rest of my points, I firmly stand by my assessment. Please take note, as my moniker suggests, I grew up and still live in the Gables so I am intimately familiar with local sports and politics.

BTW, I suck at video games.

Now please go back and finish watching Jeopardy with a warm glass of milk and stay out of my mentions.

****HOLE!!!

Advertisement
the investment JUST to remediate the environmental contamination is $100 million ALONE. the other capital requirements for the stadium, infrastructure, green space, office, hotel retail are way north of $1B.

Yup. The massive expense and the years of political maneuvering made sense for the Mas group because they're getting an MLS franchise in Miami and control of all the on-site commercial/hotel/office space out of the deal. But for 7 UM home games a year, in the face of (likely) brutal political backlash? Would take a savvy operator with an unlimited bank account to make it happen. I don't think Ruiz is that guy, no matter how many drawings he lets Johnny Jr. buy from HKSA.

I used to rent back in 2006. Thank GOD i stopped doing that! I know UM folks are thinking “IMAGINE” if we OWNED our own stadium!? The possibilities are ENDLESS. OWNING a lucrative property is ALWAYS better than renting one. And when you win, it becomes a lucrative property. I am rooting for it! Make it make CENTS!

You mad? Sheesh.

I don,t have time to debate you but the bold part is simply false. Melreese is a City-owned golf course that is privately managed. Therefore, it is a public park. Note: I did not have to use all caps to get my point across. I’d provide the link, but I’m too lazy and need to run.

As for the rest of my points, I firmly stand by my assessment. Please take note, as my moniker suggests, I grew up and still live in the Gables so I am intimately familiar with local sports and politics.

BTW, I suck at video games.

Now please go back and finish watching Jeopardy with a warm glass of milk and stay out of my mentions.

****HOLE!!!
i will write in lower caps to not further hurt your feelings.

a privately managed golf course is not a public park. the former is used for golf and only golf and the latter is used as a park. if you cannot discern the difference, hang up your ballet shoes.

i don't care what your monkey suggests, but your statements indicate you are either very young or very unknowledgeable or both.

lastly, i can tell you suck at video games. hang em up.

i tape Jeopardy and watch each night while having dinner. how did you know?

This is the biggest obstacle imo. I’m not an engineer but no way this is less than a billion dollar project. The freeway exits alone would be expensive as ****. There is no way the exits to bird and Miller are gonna stay the same or be the only options to enter the stadium.
There will have to be a separate exit to enter the park and the existing exits will have to be addressed as well.

I hope they have a legit plan to make that area profitable besides football games.

You have dadeland mall 3 exits south.
Merick Park a few miles to the east.

They’re gonna have to really bring a unique experience in order to pull customers away from those spots.

You also still have hrs and the arena to compete for concert dates and bowl games.

It’s gonna have to beat HRS to pull the orange bowl game.
Would be a total home run if somehow the stadium and surrounding village would be an option for dare I say the super bowl.

Advertisement
Back