Ruiz Stadium update?

I don’t live in miami so don’t have first hand knowledge but follow their real estate/development market from afar. Can anyone tell me when someone with buku money didn’t get what they want in miami? I can name probably 10 mega money guys that get what they want in the city on demand. Dezer development being numero uno
They just put the Mas Brothers and David Beckham through 10 years of pain before getting their stadium approved, and that was to build on a golf course, not a well-used and popular public park. And that was the City of Miami, which is generally more development friendly that Miami-Dade County, which has jurisdiction over Tropical Park. You're right that Ruiz is a big money guy, but I'm not sure that he has the local political clout to make this happen.

Advertisement
Hope it happens down the road. I’d prefer more a replica of the OB with all the modern amenities and capacity not to exceed 55K. Horseshoe concept allows you to bring in temporary seats, say an addtl 5k. This is more than enough. And note, Canes have sold 35K season tickets for this coming season. I think back in the early 2000’s they got to around 40K which is probably all-time high.

Where am I suggesting Miami should just give up and be a punching bag?
I am still equally confused where working with VERY resistant neighbors and building a stadium in an extremely challenging footprint constitutes not trying. They raised a boatload of money from some very high profile families for a stadium that a team few care about play in (including one prominent Miami family, the Glazers (Bucs and Man Utd) and the Bensons (Saints and Pelicans)). Trying is relative. Would 30,000 be enough for UM? No, but it is enough for Tulane, and it is a pretty nice stadium.

I went to Tulane. I went to a LOT of tailgates... and then would immediately go to The Boot to watch Miami. I was shocked that 1) they even tried to build it, 2) that people cared enough to contribute for that, 3) that they figured out how to fit it on campus and 4) that they got the community support to do it. If they were giving up, they would have kept the status quo of the Superdome and Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park.

They just put the Mas Brothers and David Beckham through 10 years of pain before getting their stadium approved, and that was to build on a golf course, not a well-used and popular public park. And that was the City of Miami, which is generally more development friendly that Miami-Dade County, which has jurisdiction over Tropical Park. You're right that Ruiz is a big money guy, but I'm not sure that he has the local political clout to make this happen.

The fact that the rest of Tropical Park would be revitalized and remain as a park it's feasible to imagine how the sales pitch could win people over.

some local-based pertinent, realistic perspective.

btw, the beckham deal was dead until the Mas family got involved.

Advertisement
The fact that the rest of Tropical Park would be revitalized and remain as a park it's feasible to imagine how the sales pitch could win people over.

take into consideration that part or all of the park would likely be closed for 3-5 years. not sure residents would approve that.

some local-based pertinent, realistic perspective.

btw, the beckham deal was dead until the Mas family got involved.
And this was basically my point from the jump… anywhere but especially in miami it’s all about having the right people involved. I imagine Ruiz and their fresh billionaire status will get those people needed in order to at the very least make a strong push to get this approved

Renderings don't really show much but the little it does show, looks awfully good. One can only dream and hope.

Looks like a NFL stadium that will cost billions.. Sofi stadium cost 5 billion dollars to build and holds 70K people, this stadium will supposedly hold 65K. The architect who made these renders designed SoFi. I just don't see it happening but we will see

Where am I suggesting Miami should just give up and be a punching bag?
Comparing Miami to Tulane as if it's a valid comparison. Tulane built a stadium because they would never fill the Superdome, and they had land available to build a facility that fits their needs. Miami could build a similar facility, if we don't want to win titles. The entire issue with Trop Park is that is is extremely unlikely that the county allows a facility of that size to be built and that's the only size in which this facility makes sense for the University....

Advertisement
And this was basically my point from the jump… anywhere but especially in miami it’s all about having the right people involved. I imagine Ruiz and their fresh billionaire status will get those people needed in order to at the very least make a strong push to get this approved
You might be right, but it's also possible that he picks the wrong people and gets bad advice. Lots of frontrunning "insiders" all over Miami that talk a big game but won't actually move the needle politically. Either way, it will be really interesting to see if Ruiz actually pushes forward with this or if it's just smoke and mirrors. Would love to see it happen but I'm very skeptical.

You might be right, but it's also possible that he picks the wrong people and gets bad advice. Lots of frontrunning "insiders" all over Miami that talk a big game but won't actually move the needle politically. Either way, it will be really interesting to see if Ruiz actually pushes forward with this or if it's just smoke and mirrors. Would love to see it happen but I'm very skeptical.
Totally agree.

My response wasn’t sarcastic. My apologies if it came off that way as I recognize I can be a smart *** on the boards at times but it was a genuine question.

That contract can be easily resolved by both party’s. The ACC and Adidas contracts are more complex than HRS, I believe.

No problems...I enjoy reading your comments.

Advertisement
I was trying to reply to someone that said we’d be renting at tropical park just like we’re renting at HRS.

Either way, my brother you know I respect you. I just came back to CiS after my yearly break following recruiting and I love the enthusiasm for a new stadium, I really do. I’d welcome it with open arms. I can hit a golf ball to tropical park from my backyard.

That’s not the point, though, I hate seeing the fan base get let down time and time again with the same BS. This is way too difficult of a location to pull this off but I’d love to be wrong.

83rd avenue?

Comparing Miami to Tulane as if it's a valid comparison. Tulane built a stadium because they would never fill the Superdome, and they had land available to build a facility that fits their needs. Miami could build a similar facility, if we don't want to win titles. The entire issue with Trop Park is that is is extremely unlikely that the county allows a facility of that size to be built and that's the only size in which this facility makes sense for the University....
I know the resident know it all has me blocked, but for everyone else’s benefit to know how wrong he is and how often he talks clear out of his ***. Tulane did not need to build an on campus stadium. They did not have land available and they could have played at the stadium in City Park that seats 25k or so. In fact, it was a challenge to get local residents who are either very annoyed by Tulane students or are LSU fans on board with a stadium next to their houses and in a residential neighborhood. They had an AD that identified it as a need and put the pieces of a tough puzzle together.

Advertisement
I know the resident know it all has me blocked, but for everyone else’s benefit to know how wrong he is and how often he talks clear out of his ***. Tulane did not need to build an on campus stadium. They did not have land available and they could have played at the stadium in City Park that seats 25k or so. In fact, it was a challenge to get local residents who are either very annoyed by Tulane students or are LSU fans on board with a stadium next to their houses and in a residential neighborhood. They had an AD that identified it as a need and put the pieces of a tough puzzle together.

Who’s the resident “know it all?”

Name another geographically southern/socially northeastern private school shoehorned in a wealthy suburb of a multicultural city that has a similar undergraduate enrollment, distant alumni base, and academic profile/ranking that plays football in a pro sports town.

Now find one that also happened to play at an off-campus stadium that hosts practically every major sporting/entertainment event.

It's a valid comparison for the underlying point I was making to the "but F1" bros, which is that the **** event calendar at your landlord's facility doesn't change the fact that you're still playing a facility that in no way feels like your own home. And if a school like Tulane--whose football program is a comparative afterthought--realizes this, then it should be beyond a no brainer for us.

At this point, I'm of the view that the opposition to this plan is exclusively coming from people who are selfishly concerned with their commute.

I am still equally confused where working with VERY resistant neighbors and building a stadium in an extremely challenging footprint constitutes not trying. They raised a boatload of money from some very high profile families for a stadium that a team few care about play in (including one prominent Miami family, the Glazers (Bucs and Man Utd) and the Bensons (Saints and Pelicans)). Trying is relative. Would 30,000 be enough for UM? No, but it is enough for Tulane, and it is a pretty nice stadium.

I went to Tulane. I went to a LOT of tailgates... and then would immediately go to The Boot to watch Miami. I was shocked that 1) they even tried to build it, 2) that people cared enough to contribute for that, 3) that they figured out how to fit it on campus and 4) that they got the community support to do it. If they were giving up, they would have kept the status quo of the Superdome and Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park.
The Boot! That was my go-to in high school lol

Name another geographically southern/socially northeastern private school shoehorned in a wealthy suburb of a multicultural city that has a similar undergraduate enrollment, distant alumni base, and academic profile/ranking that plays football in a pro sports town.

Now find one that also happened to play at an off-campus stadium that hosts practically every major sporting/entertainment event.

It's a valid comparison for the underlying point I was making to the "but F1" bros, which is that the **** event calendar at your landlord's facility doesn't change the fact that you're still playing a facility that in no way feels like your own home. And if a school like Tulane--whose football program is a comparative afterthought--realizes this, then it should be beyond a no brainer for us.

At this point, I'm of the view that the opposition to this plan is exclusively coming from people who are selfishly concerned with their commute.
False, my commute to the park would be 10 minutes. i could park at my parent's house, 1 block away. the commute to HRS is 30-45 minutes.

Advertisement
Back