Ruiz Stadium update?

If you dig underground in Miami, don't you just hit water

If you use a rifle, you hit oil.
1661354424742.png

Advertisement
I was very skeptical about this even being important but the location and renderings look great. Can it happen? Idk. I think 5% chance is pretty pessimistic, with the private money and county rather than city being involved I’d very roughly guess closer to 15 or 20%. Will be a tough sell to the community but not impossible. I’d like to see a more detailed map of the proposed transformation and see how the **** the stadium, parking, and apparently also a park and new satellite campus are going to all fit there.

You act as if the tunnels under Disney World's Magic Kingdom are underground.

They are not.
I mean to put a significant amount of parking underground will require a lot more money than if built above ground because it would require more expensive infrastructure. That's why you see more major bridges than tunnels. Only 2 tunnels I know of in Florida is Pensacola/Modile I-10 and the tunnel to Miami Port.

I mean to put a significant amount of parking underground will require a lot more money than if built above ground because it would require more expensive infrastructure. That's why you see more major bridges than tunnels. Only 2 tunnels I know of in Florida is Pensacola/Modile I-10 and the tunnel to Miami Port.

Yes sir, that is correct.

However, since those things were built, a lot has happened. There was a recent article talking about how Elon Musk's "The Boring Company" ("boring" as in digging, not as in "puts you to sleep) is proposing to do work for numerous Florida cities.

Between actual digging and "building something that looks like it is underground, but it is really above-ground", I think we have a shot. Not predicting any percentages, I just wish that the It'll Never Happen Bro bros would just keep their negativity to themselves.

Advertisement
I really dont see a need for a new stadium. It's a waste of money IMO.

It seems like a stadium would be built as some sort of inferiority complex as competing schools and fans say, "You don't even have your own stadium." UM didn't have their own stadium when the tram played at the Orange Bowl. Miami doesn't need to be like everyone else.

The schools that have their own stadiums don't have an NFL team in their city. They have to build their own. If they were in a big city with an NFL team, they wouldn't have their own stadium either. It's not practical.

People just don't realize how good we have it at Hard Rock. The team plays in a stadium that hosts Super Bowls, CFP Playoffs, and the CFP Championship in 2026.

When the team returns as a national power, Hard Rock will be sold out most games. The proposed 50k seat stadium won’t be big enough for a national championship team.

When you think about it pragmatically, does building a $300M dollar stadium for 7 home games a year make sense?

People don't realize that just about every football team at P5 school stays in hotels the night before the game. So, travel to the game is about the fans. Since, most of our fan attendance is from Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach, Hard Rock makes sense.

IMO, the football team and athletic department would be better served if Ruiz put his $300M into and endowment to the athletic department that would turn into over $1B when invested over time.

Just my opinion.
Do you think if Rad and Mario shared your opinion they would not be doing exactly that? Clearly both of them, along with Fernandez and Echevarria, have collectively said that this is a need and worth using Ruiz’s capital on. I’m not saying this in a rude way, but do you think those four are qualified and experienced in these things? If so, and clearly this is being done at minimum with their blessing, then don’t you think you should defer to them? These aren’t the days of Blake or Eichorst raking decisions. For all we know, the Big 10 or SEC put this as a condition to membership. But whatever it is, this isn’t Ruiz acting rogue here.

Do you think if Rad and Mario shared your opinion they would not be doing exactly that? Clearly both of them, along with Fernandez and Echevarria, have collectively said that this is a need and worth using Ruiz’s capital on. I’m not saying this in a rude way, but do you think those four are qualified and experienced in these things? If so, and clearly this is being done at minimum with their blessing, then don’t you think you should defer to them? These aren’t the days of Blake or Eichorst raking decisions. For all we know, the Big 10 or SEC put this as a condition to membership. But whatever it is, this isn’t Ruiz acting rogue here.
Huh? Obviously, they don't share my opinion, but it's my opinion.

It would be an absolutely stupid condition to say you need your own stadium. For what purpose?

As I stated, big cities have resources. It makes no sense to replicate resources when they're already there. That's why college teams in NFL markets play in NFL stadiums. That's 7 college games and 8-10 NFL game per year. Pitt even has a combined practice facility with the Steelers. That's efficiency and I'd actually a selling point for their program.

I think we under sell Hard Rock. I think it will become more obvious when the team is winning and in contention for the CFP. Could be playing at home for a natty in 2026.

Last edited:

It would be an absolutely stupid condition to say you need your own stadium. For what purpose?

As I stated, big cities have resources. It makes no sense to replicate resources when they're already there. That's why college teams in NFL markets play in NFL stadiums. That's 7 college games and 8-10 NFL game per year. Pitt even has a combined practice facility with the Steelers. That's efficiency.
My point is we are looking at it from the outside without knowing those internal conversations. You may say it is a stupid condition, but there things factoring into this decision that we just don’t have full visibility into. Clearly Radakovich and Mario, who have been all over the country, think that this is a worthy use of cash and political capital. By all accounts Hecht is being replaced and a new athletics and football only facility are already about to break ground. And that aside, Echevarria and Fernandez have surely run the numbers by now. Whether you or I think it is stupid, those very qualified folks simply do not and have far greater visibility into the full picture than either of us.

For me, I am finding it pretty refreshing as a fan to not look at our leadership and question their every move. Echevarria was the CEO of Deloitte. You don’t think he has had to make decisions far greater than this before? Mario was here during the OB and at schools around the country, sitting in recruits houses answering their concerns. Highsmith toured and spoke with college coaches and administrators year round as part of his old job. Radakovich totally renovated Clemson’s facilities. If these guys think it’s needed, that’s good enough for me.

Advertisement
My point is we are looking at it from the outside without knowing those internal conversations. You may say it is a stupid condition, but there things factoring into this decision that we just don’t have full visibility into. Clearly Radakovich and Mario, who have been all over the country, think that this is a worthy use of cash and political capital. By all accounts Hecht is being replaced and a new athletics and football only facility are already about to break ground. And that aside, Echevarria and Fernandez have surely run the numbers by now. Whether you or I think it is stupid, those very qualified folks simply do not and have far greater visibility into the full picture than either of us.

For me, I am finding it pretty refreshing as a fan to not look at our leadership and question their every move. Echevarria was the CEO of Deloitte. You don’t think he has had to make decisions far greater than this before? Mario was here during the OB and at schools around the country, sitting in recruits houses answering their concerns. Highsmith toured and spoke with college coaches and administrators year round as part of his old job. Radakovich totally renovated Clemson’s facilities. If these guys think it’s needed, that’s good enough for me.
I have an opinion and I gave it. That's what we're here for. We give our opinions and debate topics.

I have no problem with the new on campus facilities.

For the stadium, I don’t think it necessary. In fact it's not. They have a contract with Hard Rock so it's not essential. Perhaps it's just part of the bigger picture sell of Miami being invested in football.

Did you just call Hard Rock Stadium Mediocre? LOL

You lost all credibility with that statement considering it's one of the only stadiums in the country to host the biggest sporting events in the world.

Now the renderings HKS came out with look very nice so lets see where it goes but don't start spewing out nonsense because it suits your agenda.

I’m only responding b/c u left me no choice.

I did not say anything about HRS being mediocre; I said some in this fan base love to be stuck in mediocrity, meaning when upgraded options are available or suggested, some of ya’ll bytch, complain, rationalize, justify, excuse, etc etc.

1. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea r the same ones who felt Diaz deserved one more yr

2. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea r the same ones who wanted Blake to stay as AD b/c of his “donation prowess.”

3. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea defended Shalala to the death

4. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea are the same ones who have questioned the intent of Ruiz, including comparing him to Nevin fckin Shapiro

So yeah, my credibility stands where it is homie; if u wanna stand on the “but, but, but the giant aqua stadium is a NFL stadium that host F1 events, & it have host SB events, & & & & & & in 2017 it was sooooo loud against VT & ND, & & & & & & & & tennis is played here” do that, blood. Idgaf where The Canes play. I legit have zero interest in anything BESIDES what’s best for the Canes & The Canes brand. This stadium appears to be in the best interest of Miami’s branding, home field, & revenue opportunities.

Last edited:

As I stated, big cities have resources. It makes no sense to replicate resources when they're already there. That's why college teams in NFL markets play in NFL stadiums. That's 7 college games and 8-10 NFL game per year. Pitt even has a combined practice facility with the Steelers. That's efficiency.

So can you list all the "college teams in NFL markets that play in NFL stadiums"?

Buffalo Bulls - UB Stadium (not NFL)
Miami Hurricanes - yeah, we know about that one
Boston College - Alumni Stadium
I'mma say...Rutgers...(NY/NJ Metro) - SHI Stadium (not NFL)
Navy (Baltimore) - Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
Cincinnati - Nippert Stadium
Ohio Taint - Ohio Stadium
PITT - HEINZ STADIUM
Houston - TDECU Stadium (not NFL)
Indiana - Memorial Stadium
Florida Gaytors - OK, so they play ONE game in an NFL stadium each year
Tennessee - Neyland Stadium
Colorado - Folsom Field
Kansas - Kansas Memorial Stadium (Arrowhead is actually in Kansas City, MISSOURI)
UNLV - ALLEGIANT STADIUM
USC - LA Memorial Coliseum (formerly an NFL venue, but no longer)
SMU - Gerald J. Ford Stadium (not Jerry World in Arlington)
I'mma say...Army (NY/NJ Metro) - Michie Stadium
TEMPLE - LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD
Maryland - Maryland Stadium
Northwestern - Ryan Field
Michigan - Michigan Stadium
Wisconsin - Camp Randall Stadium
Minnesota - Huntington Bank Stadium (not an NFL venue)
Georgia Tech - Bobby Dodd Stadium
UNC-Charlotte - Jerry Richardson Stadium (NOT NOT NOT an NFL venue)
Tulane - Yulman Stadium
***USF - RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM (BUT BUILDING AN ON-CAMPUS STADIUM)
Arizona State - Sun Devil Stadium
UCLA - The Rose Bowl
UC-Berkeley - California Memorial Stadium
Washington - Husky Stadium

So, that means in alllllll of those big cities, there are only FIVE Division I-A college football teams that play in NFL stadiums, which will soon decline to FOUR. And one of them played in its own stadium BEFORE the NFL came to town (UNLV), so that one is an unusual case.

Which means, really, we are keeping suuuuuch good company with Pitt and Temple. Way to really make a solid case, there...

So can you list all the "college teams in NFL markets that play in NFL stadiums"?

PITT - HEINZ STADIUM
Colorado - Folsom Field
Kansas - Kansas Memorial Stadium (Arrowhead is actually in Kansas City, MISSOURI)
UNLV - ALLEGIANT STADIUM
Tulane - Yulman Stadium
UCLA - The Rose Bowl

So, that means in alllllll of those big cities, there are only FIVE Division I-A college football teams that play in NFL stadiums, which will soon decline to FOUR. And one of them played in its own stadium BEFORE the NFL came to town (UNLV), so that one is an unusual case.

Which means, really, we are keeping suuuuuch good company with Pitt and Temple. Way to really make a solid case, there...
I had no idea UNLV plays in the NFL stadium. I definitely thought they had an on campus stadium.

Advertisement
I had no idea UNLV plays in the NFL stadium. I definitely thought they had an on campus stadium.

Yeah, only since 2020. Before that, they were in Sam Boyd Stadium for 49 years, though it was not "on-campus" (like the Thomas & Mack Center is), but was owned by/run by UNLV, much as USC operates the Coliseum.

Last edited:
There's underground parking three stories BELOW SEA LEVEL in sunny isles condos. Underground parking doesn't have to mean under sea level - it could be a slightly raised stadium with above sea level parking under the stadium. But yes this proposal is absolutely absurd.

/sarcasm

Hate to break it to you guys, but Johnny Jr. using some of his dad's money to pay HKSA for a conceptual rendering doesn't mean anything. The amount of political legwork it would take to build a stadium at Tropical Park is no joke. This feels like smoke and mirrors... A little pet project Ruiz gave to his son that isn't actually going anywhere.

Advertisement

PITT - HEINZ STADIUM
Colorado - Folsom Field
UNLV - ALLEGIANT STADIUM
Tulane - Yulman Stadium
UCLA - The Rose Bowl

Let me add some more pepper to this:

Temple is in the process of building its on stadium. They had some issues w/ it’s renderings/approval, so they had no choice but to extend their lease w the Eagles, but they r actively trying to build their own stadium b/c their lease w/ The Eagles is not good for them. They refused a 30 yr lease renewal, & went w/ a 5 yr option.

The Steelers & Panthers have a literal sister relationship. Art II is a Pitt alum, & Art I was very fond of Pitt, making sure every draft a player was taken from there. Their facilities are LITERALLY co-op w/ each other. There’s a Pitt side & a Steelers side.

I’m only responding b/c u left me no choice.

I did not say anything about HRS being mediocre; I said some in this fan base love to be stuck in mediocrity, meaning when upgraded options are available or suggested, some of ya’ll bytch, complain, rationalize, justify, excuse, etc etc.

1. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea r the same ones who felt Diaz deserved one more yr

2. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea r the same ones who wanted Blake to stay as AD b/c of his “donation prowess.”

3. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea defended Shalala to the death

4. Some of the same ppl complaining about the stadium idea are the same ones who have questioned the intent of Ruiz, including comparing him to Nevin fckin Shapiro

So yeah, my credibility stands where it is homie; if u wanna stand on the “but, but, but the giant aqua stadium is a NFL stadium that host F1 events, & it have host SB events, & & & & & &, in 2017 it was sooooo loud against VT & ND, & & & & & & & &, tennis is played here” do that, blood. Idgaf where The Canes play. I legit have zero interest in anything BESIDES what’s best for the Canes & The Canes brand. This stadium appears to be in the best interest of Miami’s branding, home field, & revenue opportunities.
Ok got it.

PITT - HEINZ STADIUM
Colorado - Folsom Field
UNLV - ALLEGIANT STADIUM
Tulane - Yulman Stadium
UCLA - The Rose Bowl

What you wrote is pointless. Those schools that don't play in the NFL stadiums don't because their fanbase can't support it and/or already had stadiums before the NFL built there own. The NFL started out playing in college stadiums.

It's that plain and simple. Miami's can fill Hard Rock.

I'll support the team wherever it plays. I just don't think a new stadium does anything for the Miami brand.

We should be playing up Hard Rock. Sell recruits to play in a stadium that host Super Bowls and CFP games. Be special. Be unique. Be Miami.

I just gave out a million dollar slogan for free.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back