Ruiz Stadium update?

Not knocking Ruiz Sr. or the Ruiz family. I love that they're trying. But you have to call a spade a spade... it is a pipe dream. It's hard to build a fvckin house in Miami let alone a massive stadium in the literal heart of the city. All these renderings will do is make unknowing fans start to clamor for a new stadium when it's got no real legs.

HRS is a good home.

The "literal heart of the city"? Give the exaggerations a rest. This is west of the Palmetto, which would be considered "outside the beltway" if Miami wasn't a waterfront city.

Look at where the Braves built their new baseball stadium, and this is comparable (locationally).

Advertisement
winning fixes everything.

Or so we said for 20 years...

It also takes hiring the right people. And spending the money. And tearing down some buildings so that you can build new ones.

That's not an exaggeration, that is actually what is happening at UM right now.

I do realize and respect that Tropical is not "ours", and so there is an added dimension of public lands/public money, but the generalized concept that all of the Hard Rock problems will disappear when we win...is just wrong.

Advertisement
What witchcraft is this!???

View attachment 205089

1661352911015.png

Got it. I’ll buy you a beer at the grand opening. Shall I meet you in the underground parking garages that will be built in a city that sits below sea level? Let me know, first cold one is on me.

You know, the Mas Brothers have an entire business predicated on digging...

I trust them.

Advertisement
Ok, dumbass alert, but my old *** is having difficulty determining the gap from the top of the seats to the rectangular shapes above. Is that just “glass” or some see through material that connects to the rectangular canopy? Also, is the canopy only partial? I thought Ruiz mentioned a fully retractable roof. I’m cool with the “feel” of the place and that this is just a conceptual rendering but am having difficulty understanding how the top of the stadium is meant to work.

This is all a win-win for me.

If this pipe dream actually happens, which I seriously doubt because I know local residents are going to raise **** and I have a harder time seeing voters approving it, I’ll have a stadium minutes from my house.

Otherwise, I’m super cool with Hard Rock, I think it’s a great stadium that’s obviously not stopping Mario from recruiting at an elite level. In the end that’s all that matters.

I'm not

Hard rock is a multi-billion dollar state of the art stadium rivaled by **** near nothing.

Had to laugh at this.

Hard Rock was built in the 1980s. It isn't "state of the anything", let alone state of the art. It's nice, but let's not lose our sanity here.

Has Hard Rock continued to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into fixing a flawed-from-the-outset stadium? Sure.

Hard Rock is rivaled by **** near everything built recently. Football stadiums in Dallas and Atlanta and Los Angeles ****e on Hard Rock with plenty to spare. And there are other cities lining up to build NEW stadiums instead of pumping more money into 40 year old facilities.

And all of that is SEPARATE from the issues of UM needing a facility dedicated to UM's needs, as well as Hard Rock prioritizing EVERY OTHER sporting event over UM Football as a tenant.

Advertisement
I'm not

Hard rock is a multi-billion dollar state of the art stadium rivaled by **** near nothing.

It will be sold out if we start winning again, which we should.. so that's out the window.

so we're getting a much smaller stadium, why exactly?

Uhhhh...

60K Tropical Park capacity compared to...64,767 for football at Hard Rock?

Seems like a minor complaint, no?

Advertisement
I doubt it happens that soon but who knows. As long as we get the stadium, I don’t care.
I really dont see a need for a new stadium. It's a waste of money IMO.

It seems like a stadium would be built as some sort of inferiority complex as competing schools and fans say, "You don't even have your own stadium." UM didn't have their own stadium when the tram played at the Orange Bowl. Miami doesn't need to be like everyone else.

The schools that have their own stadiums don't have an NFL team in their city. They have to build their own. If they were in a big city with an NFL team, they wouldn't have their own stadium either. It's not practical.

People just don't realize how good we have it at Hard Rock. The team plays in a stadium that hosts Super Bowls, CFP Playoffs, and the CFP Championship in 2026.

When the team returns as a national power, Hard Rock will be sold out most games. The proposed 50k seat stadium won’t be big enough for a national championship team.

When you think about it pragmatically, does building a $300M dollar stadium for 7 home games a year make sense?

People don't realize that just about every football team at P5 school stays in hotels the night before the game. So, travel to the game is about the fans. Since, most of our fan attendance is from Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach, Hard Rock makes sense.

IMO, the football team and athletic department would be better served if Ruiz put his $300M into and endowment to the athletic department that would turn into over $1B when invested over time.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
The Louisiana Superdome, the largest fixed dome structure in the world, is also known for hosting the biggest events in the country. And it does so in the heart of the most entertaining and hospitable city in America.

It’s hosted the most Super Bowls, the most (modern era) Final Fours, CFB national championships/Sugar Bowls, Wrestle Mania, massive concerts, Mardi Gras…even the Pope!

And Tulane (whose university/campus profile is very similar to UM’s) STILL opted to build a small on-campus stadium rather than deluding themselves into believing those external factors benefit their program.

Where are those pictures of the Superdome during Katrina?

For the record, the Superdome is mediocre, and I've been there many times. "Hosting big events" doesn't turn a stadium into "state of the art". The Rose Bowl, the old Cotton Bowl, and, ****, the OLD Orange Bowl all hosted big events.

Advertisement
Back