Ruiz Stadium update?

A lot of you have defended HRS so many times to rival fanbases that it’s clouding your judgment on this.
HRS is an incredible entertainment venue. But it isn’t a great venue for our beloved Hurricanes. The two can both be true. Concerts, F1, Dolphins games all elite at Hard Rock. Canes football (and tennis) playing games in there is a joke at this point. I see the fans defending it as well but I can’t wrap my head around it when we play in a aqua blue stadium with end zone lettering that isn’t even our design. Just those two little details would greatly change my outlook on the venue as our home

Advertisement
I think you guys saying "HRS is great" and "we're playing in one of the best stadiums in the country, no need for something else" are thinking about it short term. Yes, HRS is great for this upcoming season and a few years beyond. But what happens if in 10 years when that lease is up...the owner decides they no longer want us as a tenant. Do we scramble and have to play at Lockhart? They are already making Tennis, F1, etc higher priority...in addition to Dolphins and Concerts....we're like 6th down the list of importance for them.

I think having a long term plan is what this is all about...a permanent home for the Canes.

HRS is an incredible entertainment venue. But it isn’t a great venue for our beloved Hurricanes. The two can both be true. Concerts, F1, Dolphins games all elite at Hard Rock. Canes football (and tennis) playing games in there is a joke at this point. I see the fans defending it as well but I can’t wrap my head around it when we play in a aqua blue stadium with end zone lettering that isn’t even our design. Just those two little details would greatly change my outlook on the venue as our home

agreed. those two things (trade dress) are easy to fix. all we need is an AD that demands it (we have the AD). the cost is negligible.

in addition, there are other things that HRS could do to make it feel like the homes of the Canes. a lot more. the AD needs to find someone that has the creativity to make those things happen.

I think you guys saying "HRS is great" and "we're playing in one of the best stadiums in the country, no need for something else" are thinking about it short term. Yes, HRS is great for this upcoming season and a few years beyond. But what happens if in 10 years when that lease is up...the owner decides they no longer want us as a tenant. Do we scramble and have to play at Lockhart? They are already making Tennis, F1, etc higher priority...in addition to Dolphins and Concerts....we're like 6th down the list of importance for them.

I think having a long term plan is what this is all about...a permanent home for the Canes.
i have not seen the lease, but it should include a renewal right so that the tenant is not left without a venue (especially considering that there aren't similar venues in the area) at the expiration of the initial term. the risk of not being able to play at HRS is small as long as we have competent counsel on the UM side, which i assume we do. in addition, it would be in the landlord's interest to have UM at the stadium.

Advertisement
i have not seen the lease, but it should include a renewal right so that the tenant is not left without a venue (especially considering that there aren't similar venues in the area) at the expiration of the initial term. the risk of not being able to play at HRS is small as long as we have competent counsel on the UM side, which i assume we do. in addition, it would be in the landlord's interest to have UM at the stadium.

I would also assume we don't wait until the last second to start negotiating a lease extension, so we know what our options are going to be. Since the Ruiz stadium has not even broke ground or been finalized, it looks like we are locked into Hard Rock for several more years.

Looks insane. Would put a staple on what is already the biggest entertainment destination in the country… by a mile

From an approval standpoint and such… what is quickest way this big of a Project could get approved? We looking years out for just the approval?

Big Dik energy and F/U money...

Tom Cruise Cinema Supremo GIF

Advertisement
I would also assume we don't wait until the last second to start negotiating a lease extension, so we know what our options are going to be. Since the Ruiz stadium has not even broke ground or been finalized, it looks like we are locked into Hard Rock for several more years.

i think there is 7 +/- years left. in the best case scenario, the ruiz stadium at tropical is 8-10 years away.

Never say never. The City may be willing to do it somewhere else, and that's the beauty of the effort from Ruiz & Sons..

OK but that's not what I said. The person asked if there was a chance that the stadium Ruiz pitched this morning comes to fruition, and I said no. If you want to believe that someone may build a stadium somewhere else, that's fine. But John Ruiz is not spending his personal money and building 60k state-of-the-art stadium in Tropical Park. Let's try to spend some time on the planet here, guys. The science-fiction board is somewhere else on this site.

Advertisement
before the beautiful sightlines provided by the 826

That can be solved with landscaping very easily. And most stadiums are next to a highway.

Water table to close to surface. Would cost a fortune to build and waterproof parking.

Where do you think people park when they go to Miami Heat games? Where do people park in condos on the beach? You raise the ground around the structure.

It's like some of you guys haven't been on Earth the last few years. Anything is possible these days.

And to everyone saying HRS is a great venue, I've been going to games there my whole life. Joe Robbie, Pro Player, Landshark, whatever. It is a great stadium now but the atmosphere for Canes games has ALWAYS felt like we're an interloper. I think some of you either forget or weren't around for the Orange Bowl. The place was a freaking dump but there's a reason people talk about it like it was the greatest stadium on Earth. It was ours and you either have no idea what that feels like or just don't remember. Having something that is yours is an entirely different experience.

OK but that's not what I said. The person asked if there was a chance that the stadium Ruiz pitched this morning comes to fruition, and I said no. If you want to believe that someone may build a stadium somewhere else, that's fine. But John Ruiz is not spending his personal money and building 60k state-of-the-art stadium in Tropical Park. Let's try to spend some time on the planet here, guys. The science-fiction board is somewhere else on this site.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Advertisement
That can be solved with landscaping very easily. And most stadiums are next to a highway.

Where do you think people park when they go to Miami Heat games? Where do people park in condos on the beach? You raise the ground around the structure.

It's like some of you guys haven't been on Earth the last few years. Anything is possible these days.

And to everyone saying HRS is a great venue, I've been going to games there my whole life. Joe Robbie, Pro Player, Landshark, whatever. It is a great stadium now but the atmosphere for Canes games has ALWAYS felt like we're an interloper. I think some of you either forget or weren't around for the Orange Bowl. The place was a freaking dump but there's a reason people talk about it like it was the greatest stadium on Earth. It was ours and you either have no idea what that feels like or just don't remember. Having something that is yours is an entirely different experience.

The athletic department, city leadership, Mas Brothers, Shalala and Ruiz have all mentioned openness to a stadium for UM. It will happen, somewhere IMHO for one reason above all: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting... It would absolutely be the icing on the recruiting cake for our program.

Advertisement
Back