Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Advertisement
All he needs is a few suit cases full of payola and wala just like that relocating and finding a new spot for a high school is suddenly found And approved. American politics ain’t it great?

they have 3 already, need one of reyes or russell. going to be interesting. reyes is difficult, to say the least.
Exactly. These squeaky wheels tend to eventually get "greased" with the holdout championing some faux promises or concessions they heroically forced that'll greatly benefit (but not really) their constituents. You're right that it's not a done deal right now and it'll interesting to see what it takes.

Advertisement
I still don’t understand why the logical location for a stadium is always overlooked.

Between South Miami Metro and Red Road Commons is just several streets of auto repair places, tow yards etc. Literally the EXACT same acreage as CG HS, and easy access to the Metrorail, US 1 and 72nd street. No green space to kill, no need to deal with Coral Gables, and it’s still “on campus”.

****, buy Red Road Commons too if you’d like.
Like the old Chapman Field area? Used to play youth football there.

SPAC got pushed back 6 months….let’s hope it actually closes so he can finance a stadium. Not the best sign.

I still contend that the stadium is a long shot because of a lack of viable locations among other "Miami" factors. Everything else he's doing and plans to do for UM isn't dependent on the SPAC deal closing. As you can see, because millions and millions are already flowing. They've also bought about $100M worth of RE in Miami over the last year or two alone.

And AGAIN, whether the SPAC closes or not at $32B, the company is a multi-billion dollar asset of which he owns the majority. The Ruiz' are multi-billionaires as I type this. If it ends up selling for only a quarter of the valuation that's out there privately, the Ruiz' great, great, great grandchildren's grandchildren will still have a summer home on Mars if they want.

Furthermore, as has been stated many, many times, the Ruiz family is not going to just cut a check for a stadium. They will lead a raise with a significant donation, but others will donate, potential revenue streams and external development assets will be exploited, there will be a note of course. And there is no evidence its solely dependent on the SPAC closing. There are bigger things to worry about if you truly have your heart set on a new near-campus stadium.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I still contend that the stadium is a long shot because of a lack of viable locations among other "Miami" factors. Everything else he's doing and plans to do for UM isn't dependent on the SPAC deal closing. As you can see, because millions and millions are already flowing. They've bought about $100M worth of RE in Miami over the last year or two alone.

And AGAIN, whether the SPAC closes or not at $32B, the company is a multi-billion dollar asset of which he owns the majority. The Ruiz' are multi-billionaires as I type this. If it ends up selling for only a quarter of the valuation that's out there privately, the Ruiz' great, great, great grandchildren's grandchildren will still have a summer home on Mars if they want.

Furthermore, as has been stated many, many times, the Ruiz family is not going to just cut a check for a stadium. They will lead a raise with a significant donation, but others will donate, potential revenue streams and external development assets will be exploited, there will be a note of course. and there is no evidence its solely dependent on the SPAC closing. There are bigger things to worry about if you truly have your heart set on a new near-campus stadium.
So you are saying a stadium is a long shot? Hot take 2022!

I still contend that the stadium is a long shot because of a lack of viable locations among other "Miami" factors. Everything else he's doing and plans to do for UM isn't dependent on the SPAC deal closing. As you can see, because millions and millions are already flowing. They've bought about $100M worth of RE in Miami over the last year or two alone.

Furthermore, as has been stated many, many times, the Ruiz family is not going to just cut a check for a stadium. They will lead a raise with a significant donation, but others will donate, potential revenue streams and external development assets will be exploited, there will be a note of course. and there is no evidence its solely dependent on the SPAC closing. There are bigger things to worry about if you truly have your heart set on a new near-campus stadium.
Yeah the SPAC deal seems like the cherry on top for him. Ruiz is a guy that has his hands in plenty of jars and is doing very well with a good % of these ventures.

I just don't see him succeeding with building a stadium especially not at Tropical Park. Let's not forget about the active slugfest that is currently happening right now for Inter Miami. They've got Beckham, Marcelo Claure (believe he sold his stake though), and even the Mas Brothers pushing for a stadium. And that's in a fairly commercial part of town right next to MIA. It's been a long battle but looks like they'll win out.

With that said, I find it hard to believe that Ruiz and co will be able to work with the County to essentially give up Tropical Park to build a stadium in a well established residential area. It's not Coral Gables but no doubt in my mind property owners aren't going to be happy with the idea and will fight this tooth and nail. Could Ruiz push on this for 5+ years and eventually win out? Sure. But hard to see that right now.

I'm rooting for Ruiz and hope he keeps pushing! If all that comes from this is the signaling of Miami football being back and the continued investments in overall infrastructure then 100% worth the battle. I'd happily lose this battle to win the war. Hard Rock is not a bad consolation prize.

Tropical Park is currently a dump that could desperately use a reboot. If done tastefully, they could turn that place into a tourist destination instead of a place for reggaeton and salsa fanatics to gather and make lots of noise on Saturday afternoons.

Advertisement
Yeah the SPAC deal seems like the cherry on top for him. Ruiz is a guy that has his hands in plenty of jars and is doing very well with a good % of these ventures.

I just don't see him succeeding with building a stadium especially not at Tropical Park. Let's not forget about the active slugfest that is currently happening right now for Inter Miami. They've got Beckham, Marcelo Claure (believe he sold his stake though), and even the Mas Brothers pushing for a stadium. And that's in a fairly commercial part of town right next to MIA. It's been a long battle but looks like they'll win out.

With that said, I find it hard to believe that Ruiz and co will be able to work with the County to essentially give up Tropical Park to build a stadium in a well established residential area. It's not Coral Gables but no doubt in my mind property owners aren't going to be happy with the idea and will fight this tooth and nail. Could Ruiz push on this for 5+ years and eventually win out? Sure. But hard to see that right now.

I'm rooting for Ruiz and hope he keeps pushing! If all that comes from this is the signaling of Miami football being back and the continued investments in overall infrastructure then 100% worth the battle. I'd happily lose this battle to win the war. Hard Rock is not a bad consolation prize.
it will take 7-10 years to complete from start to finish. i will be the first protesting and organizing the resistance. a park used by tens of thousands of people every day should not be converted into a football stadium.

SPAC got pushed back 6 months….let’s hope it actually closes so he can finance a stadium. Not the best sign.

Yeah this is the big fear that this $24B never arrives lol. If it does UM will be a major player if it doesn’t we need these other big leaders to step up.

Advertisement
It's commendable that Ruiz wants to use his newfound status and wealth to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the program. I hope he continues to support the program when this idea falls short.
if you think he is doing all of this only because it is in the best interests of the program, then you are very very very naive.

self-interest, something that should be promoted, is driving all of his actions.

Last edited:
Tropical Park is currently a dump that could desperately use a reboot. If done tastefully, they could turn that place into a tourist destination instead of a place for reggaeton and salsa fanatics to gather and make lots of noise on Saturday afternoons.
while true, its about the only actual park left in miami cause we've paved everything else.

while true, its about the only actual park left in miami cause we've paved everything else.
We do lack green space, and it would stink to lose any more of that, but I don't know that erecting a stadium where the current one sits would do much harm. If a new stadium coincided with a refresh of other amenities it would be a net positive imo.

Advertisement
Back