Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Advertisement
Uhhh the one thing the recruits always say is how Awesome Hard Rock is and how exciting it would be to play in an NFL stadium.

So there goes that theory.

1) The recruits that dont have their 1-way tickets to Alabama, UF, Clemson, et. al. stamped, I take it??

2) You really expect recruits to rag on the poor attendance in the stands for a team they're legit considering or when people ask them questions? What teams really get respected publicly when kids havent even signed? Happens, but a rarity and doesn't at all mean they're fine with everything they see on visits.

****,...you don't even have to come to the games. Just look on TV,...it's a PROBLEM, whether you want to face that or not. AGAIN, there are no guarantees that we will be able to overcome this @ HRS and get back into the upper-echelon of CFB because it simply hasnt happened there yet.

Advertisement
1) The recruits that dont have their 1-way tickets to Alabama, UF, Clemson, et. al. stamped, I take it??

2) You really expect recruits to rag on the poor attendance in the stands for a team they're legit considering or when people ask them questions? What teams really get respected publicly when kids havent even signed? Happens, but a rarity and doesn't at all mean they're fine with everything they see on visits.

****,...you don't even have to come to the games. Just look on TV,...it's a PROBLEM, whether you want to face that or not. AGAIN, there are no guarantees that we will be able to overcome this @ HRS and get back into the upper-echelon of CFB because it simply hasnt happened there yet.
These kids don't care about that sht anymore. You're thinking 20-30 years ago. Kids only care about how many followers they have or who's playing madden with them that night. You're over thinking the attendance issue.

Nothing like that is happening in the Gables. Better chance to negotiate with county to build stadium at Tropical Park but you still have limited access thre for traffic. This appears to be publicity stunt. You do know the High school property abuts houses.
It's obvious to anyone with any knowledge of anything that this guy is gassing up idiots. It's all a publicity stunt, it's all empty promises. Frankly, I find it a bit odd that Ruiz is so desperate to be liked, that he is willing to say anything, facts and logic be damned. I'm not shocked that our fanbase would eat it up, the typical Miami fan has never been to campus, so they don't know anything about CG and the challenges presented in building anything in that place.

Good for you, but those 13miles to CG is ****. Ever go to a Bb game on campus, traffic is BS. Add another 40k yeah it’s all good . Maybe we need the infrastructure money to widen US 1.
Traffic is beyond bad after basketball games. I remember 2012, and the parking snafus after big games, it was miserable and the Watsco Center holds 1/6th the amount of people a decent football stadium does.

These kids don't care about that sht anymore. You're thinking 20-30 years ago. Kids only care about how many followers they have or who's playing madden with them that night. You're over thinking the attendance issue.

Yeah, they don't care about TikTok either. You're doing a crummy job speaking for teenagers. It's simply human nature to walk into a packed crowd whether it be a movie or auditorium, store, concert, or anywhere else and feel differently than if it were 50% full. You can be completely deaf, and the point doesn't change.

To suggest "oh no one cares" is just sticking your head into the sand. If it were a complete non-issue, this would've never happened there previously for baseball games:

The Marlins reduced capacity to 47,662 (later to 35,521), mainly to create a more intimate atmosphere for baseball.

Listen,....Hard Rock has its benefits, for sure. You can even argue that the positives outweigh the negatives and you have a pass. But to just sit there and say "there are no negatives" regarding a bunch of empty seats and convincing teenagers to sign here is completely asinine.

Auburn Recruits: “The atmosphere was just unmatched,” Vizzina said “Growing up in the state and watching it every year and knowing what it means, and I got to be there as a recruit, it was a very memorable experience. I got to go on the field before the game and stand in front of a full stadium of people and talk to Bo Nix and Coach Harsin.”

“The atmosphere at the game was crazy!” Five-star defensive lineman Peter Woods said.
“Crowd was packed out basically standing shoulder with no room to move! Probably the he best game I’ve ever seen especially in the fourth.”

But yea,...recruits dont care about that stuff anymore. I didn't say we need to pack up and move next week. The previous reduction of 10,000 or so seats from before was big for us. It's just that I do recognize it for what it is: a problem as you're trying to get back to the top and convince a # of these kids that coming here is on equal footing to those places.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Weird Face Cant Understand GIF by esuperliga

Yeah, they don't care about TikTok either. You're doing a crummy job speaking for teenagers. It's simply human nature to walk into a packed crowd whether it be a movie or auditorium, store, concert, or anywhere else and feel differently than if it were 50% full. You can be completely deaf, and the point doesn't change.

To suggest "oh no one cares" is just sticking your head into the sand. If it were a complete non-issue, this would've never happened there previously for baseball games:

The Marlins reduced capacity to 47,662 (later to 35,521), mainly to create a more intimate atmosphere for baseball.

Listen,....Hard Rock has its benefits, for sure. You can even argue that the positives outweigh the negatives and you have a pass. But to just sit there and say "there are no negatives" regarding a bunch of empty seats and convincing teenagers to sign here is completely asinine.

Auburn Recruits: “The atmosphere was just unmatched,” Vizzina said “Growing up in the state and watching it every year and knowing what it means, and I got to be there as a recruit, it was a very memorable experience. I got to go on the field before the game and stand in front of a full stadium of people and talk to Bo Nix and Coach Harsin.”

“The atmosphere at the game was crazy!” Five-star defensive lineman Peter Woods said.
“Crowd was packed out basically standing shoulder with no room to move! Probably the he best game I’ve ever seen especially in the fourth.”

But yea,...recruits dont care about that stuff anymore. I didn't say we need to pack up and move next week. The previous reduction of 10,000 or so seats from before was big for us. It's just that I do recognize it for what it is: a problem as you're trying to get back to the top and convince a # of these kids that coming here is on equal footing to those places.
Well, these comments are from recruits, of course they’re impressed, but if they sign they’re going to be there anyway. Impressing 20 somethings that are students to fill the stands is a different story. Don’t you think recruits are impressed visiting HR? It’s the asses in the seats you have to impress either way.

A kid that is considering Miami knows the score. That kid knows that he's going to be playing off campus in a world class stadium, that is literally the next step to the NFL, that kid knows that he will not be a BMOC, because the kids on campus don't worship at the altar of football, because the typical Miami student couldn't care less.

That said, by attending Miami, you aren't stuck living in a small Southern town, where you have fans still pining for the days of slavery and life before the Civil Rights Act of 1964. You aren't living somewhere that is akin to a fishbowl, because you are the ONLY celebrities in town. Miami gives you something that is rare in collegiate athletics: the ability to live in a major city, with all the good that entails, while also getting to play major collegiate athletics. The Miami sales pitch isn't for every kid, some kids want to live that traditional college life, but for some, the Miami pitch is a lot more appealing.

Advertisement

I'm not saying they don't see it. I'm saying it may stay in their minds for 30 seconds but then it's back to the phone. In the end it's only my opinion and what I've seen. Now after the ND game I can tell you the fans, recruits, parents, herby and the rest of the country saw what that stadium can do. If we become a dominant team again that stadium will be just fine.

Miami will have very little leverage next time lease talks comes up with Ross and the Phins brass.

Having a plot of land at the ready to even appear to be examining building a stadium isn't a bad idea at all.

Now...as far as the feasibility of building a stadium in or near Coral Gables....ehhh.

Advertisement
Sorry man, starting your CIS career with "I am going to do whatever I can to torpedo a new UM football stadium" isn't good for business!
Opinions are mixed on the subject.

What I really want to know is how he feels in the Mario vs Lane debate.

Reading through all of these comments, I can say one thing: Apparently our fanbase hasn't paid attention to the ultimate case study in "If you play on campus, the fans will show up", which is the Miami basketball program. Miami has played on campus for almost 20 years, and despite L having some good runs, the attendance isn't that much different than it was in the old Miami Arena. In fact, it's been hilarous to watch as even when L had the program rolling, the ONLY time anyone gave a **** was when Duke or UNC or another ranked team came to town. Even in the magical 2012 season, you had times in which ACC games were sparsely attended, even though the team was extremely exciting.

I still remember years when Syracuse came to town, Miami was decent and the arena was at least 30% Cuse fans. I've lost count how many times UNC or Duke came, and we were outnumbered in our own **** arena and the team wasn't even awful, just mediocre. Unless you can guarantee that Miami is consistently playing Top 25 teams week in and week out, AND Miami is nationally relevant, there's no way in **** you won't see similar attendance trends. Ruiz wants to spend that money, that's on him, but let's cut out the nonsense about this fanbase doing something they didn't even do during the "Decade of Dominance". Playing on campus is a dream scenario cooked up by fans that don't know a **** thing about the University and nouveau rich boosters that most likely want to jack up the value on land they own.
I mostly agree with you but one thing you're leaving out is our fanbase (and students) cares a lot more about football than basketball.

I mostly agree with you but one thing you're leaving out is our fanbase (and students) cares a lot more about football than basketball.
It's on campus, and fewer seats to fill and it's still a struggle. That's the point I'm making. Keep in mind, a lot of our students don't give a **** about football, they only give a **** about getting wasted at the tailgate.

Advertisement
Back