Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Is Miami the only city in America without any room to build a stadium? How does every other city accomplish it?

Advertisement
Coral Gables High is not on a big piece on land. It's a thin vertical strip that would make a 50k stadium impossible unless Ruiz bought up the buildings across the street on San Lorenzo ave. He should go after Riviera Country Club land!! Enough land for a stadium, tailgates, parking, and closer to campus. Just please add a canopy!!!

Ruiz needs to buy the 11 block by 5 block section of land just north of the northern tip of Coral Gables, and then donate/deed it to Coral Gables...

How do you think the Shops at Merrick Park got built? A charming PowerPoint presentation?
You’re comparing mixed high-end retail, commercial and residential space to a football stadium? With a much smaller foot prints and that is located adjacent to a major artery and public transportation? It seems like 3/4 of the jack asses thinking this could get done never set foot in the Orange bowl. The relevance is that they have no clue of the history or reality for that matter.

Have you been to the UM-F$U games in Talla-*******-hassee (I am contractually obligated to call it that)?

They tailgate in parking garages. That's what security is for.

And having worked for NASCAR, I can definitely tell you that we had lax security. Though that happened at Hooters, so it was not our liability.
My point was to show absolutely stupid people can be. Now add them into a parking garage.

They could always have a no tailgating rule. Coral Gables might insist on it.

Advertisement
In place of Mahoney-Pearson.

New dorms being built. Chess, not checkers...
When do they plan to drop the Towers? Probably cheaper to drop M-P as well as opposed to renovate. As bad as the Towers are M-P is worse. Only question is will there be enough housing?

I know you are one of the guys that will get this.

Coral Gables was the first planned community in the US. The streets were laid out by George Merrick 100 years ago. Downtown Coral Gables was designed to have a tiny area, one mile long and a few blocks wide.

For most of the last 100 years (including when I was in school in the 80s and 90s), downtown Coral Gables had a couple of tall buildings (one is a hotel), and then a bunch of 2 and 3 story buildings. The number of people coming INTO Coral Gables and going OUT OF Coral Gables each day was relatively balanced and normal (except for US 1).

But for the last 20-25 years, everything has changed. Lots of shorter buildings in Coral Gables have been torn down and replaced with taller buildings. At the same, the roads are essentially the same as they have been for 100 years. Even the City of Coral Gables website now brags about the tens of thousands of people who drive INTO Coral Gables each day to work. We know full well that all the jobs in Coral Gables are not filled by people living within the city borders who ride bikes to work.

Bottom line, Coral Gables has evolved from the sleepy Coral Gables that we knew when we were in school, to an overcrowded downtown that is a traffic disaster for 260 weekdays each year. Furthermore, the tens of thousands of cars that flood into Coral Gables each morning do so within a window that is about 1 to 1.5 hours. Now you contrast that with 6 weekends per year, where the window of arrival is around 4 hours. Where you can park a bunch of people at UM (or the students are already there) and run shuttles. ****, Disney shuttles tens of thousands of people into its theme parks 365 days of the year. AND, because we are talking about 6 special event weekends per year, you can use police to help direct traffic, something that is generally unavailable for the daily commutes into Coral Gables.

Bottom line, Coral Gables is no longer the town it once was, and it is no longer possible for the residents to act SHOCKED at all of the traffic. It exists. It sucks, but it's manageable.

And for the record, I have already expressed my preference for 2 locations along NW 7th Street, just north of Coral Gables, which would have access to the 836. You'd have to work with City of Miami instead of City of Coral Gables, and that is usually an easier proposition, though it is hard to ignore the fact that Ruiz's law partner is the Vice Mayor of Coral Gables.

At any rate, this is a fun an interesting conversation to have. It's nice to have options again.
Absolutely, I am all for this. With the planning, acquisition of land, building the facility and infrastructure to support, and the politics to get it, it will take 10 years. Right around time our lease is up. Timing is now to seriously start it all.

Advertisement
Hey. If we’re building a stadium then it needs to be a state of the art middle finger to the SEC. just saying brotha. I’ll settle for a setup like the rock has now though. I just wanna know how somebody felt about Baylor’s field. That seats 45,000 and was supposedly impressive.
I’ve been there. It’s fun and gets loud. Miami could have a 50-60k stadium closer to campus and their own stadium. Too much doubt and negativity from fan base. It can happen and should make happen!

Advertisement
On a side note I would love to see the season ticket office report on where a majority of the seat holders reside. Like any Stadium it’s about filling the seats in the end.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So Milander Stadium in Hialeah is centrally located and seats 5,221

I am pretty confident Manny, Strawley and Jake Garcia can figure out how to fill it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211205-113423_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211205-113423_Chrome.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 11
Tropical Park is a nonstarter most likely. What's the point of playing 7 miles away from campus, where egress in and out will be even worse than the facility you play in now? The whole "We need our own stadium" nonsense is a red herring, thrown out by rival fans that don't know a **** thing.

Less than 4 miles driving down Miller to Tropical.

Advertisement
Back