Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Ruiz and this type of big dollar support is what we have been sorely lacking for years now. If he can pull this off, ensure we have an elite AD and HC, continue to invest substantially in the sports program, and ensure alignment with Frenk and the Board, we will looking at years of dominance. Like several nattys Bama style dominance.

No top athlete WANTS to go to UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU save for the local diehards. Everyone else just goes there because it’s a justifiable path to big bags and collegiate success that sets them up for the league.

Make it an even playing field, and just watch.

Advertisement
Just know. There isnt a major program in the country that would rather rent or lease a stadium as opposed to own their own. Its not just about how loud it is. Its not just about conveniences. The long term financial benefits are a major factor and there is something to be said for being in CONTROL of YOUR facilities.

Honestly just use this money to fund a UGA style bag game.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Advertisement
On the site of Coral Gables High school. 50,000 seats. Also plans to find a new area for a new Coral Gables High.
Just for comparison/reference:
CGHS occupies 27 acres.
The Orange Bowl occupied 40 acres, including parking, not counting no blockie parking.
While Hard Rock Stadium itself occupies 16 acres, the site, including parking, occupies 240 acres.
Required parking would be the issue.

His plan was talking about an 8 story parking garage. I can't imagine a Fire Department allowing tailgating in a multi story garage. In the case of an incident, trucks aren't getting to the upper floors.

Unbelievable - design flaw or construction defect? Never heard of this. How about the lone holdout homeowner stuck in the middle of the site with their middle fingers in the air, amazing.
Construction defect but supposedly there’s more to the story and I’m not privy to it.

Put the stadium next to the heat arena and get rid of dry as bayside !! Skip and hop away from south beach!

Advertisement
I'll leave you with one last nugget.

I'm working on the largest construction job going on in Coral Gables right now. (Plaza Coral Gables / Loews Hotel) 500 room hotel and residences. I can tell you the designers, architects and owners group biggest worry with this project is the traffic when they host big events. Now imagine 50-60,000 people coming for an event. OMG

There’s the stadium killer right there. Does anyone really believe CG residents will allow 30-40,000 people shortcutting through their currently quiet streets trying to avoid traffic on game\event days?

Moving on US1 and bird is already a nightmare.

Ain’t no way this is ever getting approved. Gables residents are the worst.

His plan was talking about an 8 story parking garage. I can't imagine a Fire Department allowing tailgating in a multi story garage. In the case of an incident, trucks aren't getting to the upper floors.
"In the United States, NFPA 88A is the most widely used standard for parking structures. Generally speaking, the document does not require sprinklers in parking structures that are considered to be open—meaning they have a minimum amount of natural ventilation on at least two sides. Underground parking garages, or those wrapped or covered on three or more sides, are considered closed garages and require sprinkler protection."

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Resea...pril-2019/Features/Protecting-Parking-Garages

Tailgaters and intoxicants are not the main issue, plastics are....Not sure about a lot of apperatus being able to traverseparking garage's now. What is the level of risk Miami Dade fire will accept?

Wonder if Greentree Filed will work. Built new Hecht Center and Tennis Stadium on the northern end of the open space besides the tennis stadium. Built 50K capacity stadium from end of the baseball field to relocated Hecht Center and tennis stadium. Expand the parking garage and designate on campus parking for Saturday games. Additionally, Metrorail allows to park off campus and then walk the remaining distance from station to stadium. Concerning Coral Gables, Shalala once inquired about annexation from Coral Gables to South Miami because one particular Commissioner (Gaytor) was giving a very unreasonable hard time on-campus new construction. Anyway , food for thought.

Modern era, homey. You know the assumed guidelines for college football discussions.

Seriously though, we'll regret it if UM ends up in a 50K seat stadium. It'll make games against Savannah State "feel" better but it will hurt when it counts, when an Ohio State or Texas A&M comes to town.
Move the big games to Hard Rock, if needed.

Advertisement
Yeah, at 5 am maybe. My son lives in Gables Ponce. Just getting across Le Jeune by Havanna Harry's is sporty on his way to class.

I know you are one of the guys that will get this.

Coral Gables was the first planned community in the US. The streets were laid out by George Merrick 100 years ago. Downtown Coral Gables was designed to have a tiny area, one mile long and a few blocks wide.

For most of the last 100 years (including when I was in school in the 80s and 90s), downtown Coral Gables had a couple of tall buildings (one is a hotel), and then a bunch of 2 and 3 story buildings. The number of people coming INTO Coral Gables and going OUT OF Coral Gables each day was relatively balanced and normal (except for US 1).

But for the last 20-25 years, everything has changed. Lots of shorter buildings in Coral Gables have been torn down and replaced with taller buildings. At the same, the roads are essentially the same as they have been for 100 years. Even the City of Coral Gables website now brags about the tens of thousands of people who drive INTO Coral Gables each day to work. We know full well that all the jobs in Coral Gables are not filled by people living within the city borders who ride bikes to work.

Bottom line, Coral Gables has evolved from the sleepy Coral Gables that we knew when we were in school, to an overcrowded downtown that is a traffic disaster for 260 weekdays each year. Furthermore, the tens of thousands of cars that flood into Coral Gables each morning do so within a window that is about 1 to 1.5 hours. Now you contrast that with 6 weekends per year, where the window of arrival is around 4 hours. Where you can park a bunch of people at UM (or the students are already there) and run shuttles. ****, Disney shuttles tens of thousands of people into its theme parks 365 days of the year. AND, because we are talking about 6 special event weekends per year, you can use police to help direct traffic, something that is generally unavailable for the daily commutes into Coral Gables.

Bottom line, Coral Gables is no longer the town it once was, and it is no longer possible for the residents to act SHOCKED at all of the traffic. It exists. It sucks, but it's manageable.

And for the record, I have already expressed my preference for 2 locations along NW 7th Street, just north of Coral Gables, which would have access to the 836. You'd have to work with City of Miami instead of City of Coral Gables, and that is usually an easier proposition, though it is hard to ignore the fact that Ruiz's law partner is the Vice Mayor of Coral Gables.

At any rate, this is a fun an interesting conversation to have. It's nice to have options again.

About 20+ years ago at the Hooters in Daytona across from the track, some people were tailgating and decided to move their grill out of the way and head to the race. They slid it under the back of their car where it proceeded to cook their gas tank and eventually blow up the car. Fortunately, there were no people around and only 3 cars were damaged.

Now imagine that happening on the 2nd floor of an 8 story garage.

Advertisement
About 20+ years ago at the Hooters in Daytona across from the track, some people were tailgating and decided to move their grill out of the way and head to the race. They slid it under the back of their car where it proceeded to cook their gas tank and eventually blow up the car. Fortunately, there were no people around and only 3 cars were damaged.

Have you been to the UM-F$U games in Talla-*******-hassee (I am contractually obligated to call it that)?

They tailgate in parking garages. That's what security is for.

And having worked for NASCAR, I can definitely tell you that we had lax security. Though that happened at Hooters, so it was not our liability.

Is like to see that.

Darwins Law baby

Advertisement
Back