RPO.....Richt midlife crisis?

I don't think a lot of people understand what an RPO is.

Hopefully this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGF9NBCfa8&index=4&list=PLkr-ZOfJPy9jxvKN8aazy8YTqUpvAv8ph

I think the fans have a misconception of what the RPO is in our offense. Our version of the RPO isn't designed to make Kaaya a running threat. He basically has two options. His key read is the outside linebacker followed by the the corner. If the OLB crashes on the run, then we throw the bubble/slant. If not, Kaaya gives it to the running back.

Many of us understand what RPOs are.

Problem is it should just be a tool of your offense not 80% of your playcalling.

YOU seem to understand what an RPO. Most on here don't, hence the reason they keep saying Kaaya isn't a good QB to run them.

They think it's the read option.

Yeah but they are right in saying we need a Mobile QB. Not because of RPO's needs but because Richt also like West Coast style waggles and you just can't run that with led foot Kaaya.

Plus I just think in today's game that the added element of running when things break down is crucial.

But yeah most of the people here think its QB option zone read when its not.

Advertisement

Hopefully this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGF9NBCfa8&index=4&list=PLkr-ZOfJPy9jxvKN8aazy8YTqUpvAv8ph

I think the fans have a misconception of what the RPO is in our offense. Our version of the RPO isn't designed to make Kaaya a running threat. He basically has two options. His key read is the outside linebacker followed by the the corner. If the OLB crashes on the run, then we throw the bubble/slant. If not, Kaaya gives it to the running back.

Is Kaaya generally reading the OLB correctly? If so, when he reads run has our OL been unable to execute their blocks, and/or have our RBs failed to choose the correct running lanes?

Hopefully this helps.

Is Kaaya generally reading the OLB correctly? If so, when he reads run has our OL been unable to execute their blocks, and/or have our RBs failed to choose the correct running lanes?
Yes. I know it's trendy to rip on Kaaya these days but this is not rocket science. He is making the correct reads. Now that we are no longer playing FCS schools and App St, the better teams are taking away pass option and forcing our hand to run. Our OL blows, Walton has questionable vision, and the result is 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Good times.

Last edited:
This RPO crap needs to be scrapped. They way it's being ran here is terrible

Just line-up power I and play football.

We get ours a$$es kicked when we do that. See the first drive of the game.

Laughably irrelevant. There is no commitment to it. I could point to the first play of the Appalachian State game as a counter example. I gave -3.5 points for a huge wager, since I thought the line would be closer to -7 or -10. When we lined up in the I formation for our first play, I smiled. Ten or twelve seconds later Walton was in the end zone after 80 yards.

Younger coaches now prefer wimp football. Call it whatever you want. It is a lazy approach, one that prioritizes open spaces above shoving people aside, the Lombardi method. This RPO crap is no more than one of the lazy versions. Notice that when RPO fails there are the flood of convenient excuses. But when I formation fails it is getting our a$$es kicked. Hilarious.

Advertisement

Laughably irrelevant. There is no commitment to it. I could point to the first play of the Appalachian State game as a counter example. I gave -3.5 points for a huge wager, since I thought the line would be closer to -7 or -10. When we lined up in the I formation for our first play, I smiled. Ten or twelve seconds later Walton was in the end zone after 80 yards.

Younger coaches now prefer wimp football. Call it whatever you want. It is a lazy approach, one that prioritizes open spaces above shoving people aside, the Lombardi method. This RPO crap is no more than one of the lazy versions. Notice that when RPO fails there are the flood of convenient excuses. But when I formation fails it is getting our a$$es kicked. Hilarious.

Summary of this post: Modern Offenses suck, stick to 1950s Wing T or Split backs veer

The first play of the App game Walton was drilled after about 2 or 3 yards. He just made a great play, it wasn't like he went 80 yards because of the I-formation.

I charted one of our games. We averaged more Yards Per Play and more Yard Per Rush in the spread than we did in the I-formation/Pro. It wasn't even close.

We don't have the O-line to line-up and bully people.

And it's not "wimp football". Would you consider Ohio State's offense wimp football? How 'bout Alabama's new offense? Guys like you make me laugh with all this macho rah rah ****. "Push guys around, shove people aside, rawrrrrr!!!" Tell me how rah rah and macho your defense would be after having 45 points put on their a$$.... and being exhausted physically from chasing around slot WR's all day... and tired mentally from trying to decipher RPO's all night.

I played Linebacker my whole life. I'd rather line-up against the I-formation and bang all day than face the spread and have to think more and run more.

No thank you.

Advertisement

The first play of the App game Walton was drilled after about 2 or 3 yards. He just made a great play, it wasn't like he went 80 yards because of the I-formation.

I charted one of our games. We averaged more Yards Per Play and more Yard Per Rush in the spread than we did in the I-formation/Pro. It wasn't even close.

And it's not "wimp football". Would you consider Ohio State's offense wimp football? How 'bout Alabama's new offense? Guys like you make me laugh with all this macho rah rah ****. "Push guys around, shove people aside, rawrrrrr!!!" Tell me how rah rah and macho your defense would be after having 45 points put on their a$$.... and being exhausted physically from chasing around slot WR's all day... and tired mentally from trying to decipher RPO's all night.

I'd be curious to know Kaaya's completion percentage in RPO plays. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 70%+ range.

We don't need a mobile QB.... We need an OL that can create holes for the RBs so we have a running game. We establish the run and then the play action works better. We do all that, the QB performs better. The QB performs better, everyone performs better. If all that happens you all think Richt is a genius because the plays he's calling are working... Yes Kaaya has not performed up to what we all expected this year but the drops and lack of running game have made his job harder. Like Macho said in another thread you don't just change coaching staffs and all the sudden everything is fixed overnight!

I'd be curious to know Kaaya's completion percentage in RPO plays. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 70%+ range.

I'd be willing to bet it's even higher. He only throws slants or bubbles during RPO's.

I'd be willing to bet it's even higher. He only throws slants or bubbles during RPO's.

The plays that look the smoothest and most beautifully executed by Kaaya are the RPO slants he has thrown - I can remember one to Coley against GT I think, and another to Richards vs FSU. His decisions were crisp and the passes were perfect. When the leverage is there, he throws that with a ton of confidence and right on the money.

I also think you're correct that a lot of people are confusing the RPO with the zone read veer stuff a lot of college teams run.

Advertisement

The plays that look the smoothest and most beautifully executed by Kaaya are the RPO slants he has thrown - I can remember one to Coley against GT I think, and another to Richards vs FSU. His decisions were crisp and the passes were perfect. When the leverage is there, he throws that with a ton of confidence and right on the money.

I also think you're correct that a lot of people are confusing the RPO with the zone read veer stuff a lot of college teams run.

Right, it's not like we are leaving the defensive end unblocked. If i recall correctly, our backside tackle actually gets in a pass set.

I could care less for RPO's.

Lame offense designed for short gains and keeps the defense moving towards the ball pass or run.

We need to play downfield and use the entire freaking field as we have the horses at WR, RB, and TE to make a pro style offense work which should also suit Kaaya.

Much like last year's defense was unsuitable to the guys we had on D the RPO is unsuitable for the guys we have on offense.

That simple

Let me ask a few questions about the running plays that we're running out of the RPO: 1) for the runs out of the RPO, what type of run blocking are we using (zone, man blocking, etc.), 2) is this standard for runs out of the RPO and 3) which of our RBs is best suited for runs out of the RPO?

And then one follow-up question - do we generally run different types of run plays out of the shotgun when we are NOT in an RPO play-call?

It's clear that in the past couple games, we've had a really tough time getting the run game going, and while I understand that the RPO running game is different than the read-option runs that some teams run, I am curious whether our OL and RBs are really suited for running out of RPO plays, and whether our OL and RBs are really suited from running out of the shotgun in general.

Advertisement
Let me ask a few questions about the running plays that we're running out of the RPO: 1) for the runs out of the RPO, what type of run blocking are we using (zone, man blocking, etc.), 2) is this standard for runs out of the RPO and 3) which of our RBs is best suited for runs out of the RPO?

And then one follow-up question - do we generally run different types of run plays out of the shotgun when we are NOT in an RPO play-call?

It's clear that in the past couple games, we've had a really tough time getting the run game going, and while I understand that the RPO running game is different than the read-option runs that some teams run, I am curious whether our OL and RBs are really suited for running out of RPO plays, and whether our OL and RBs are really suited from running out of the shotgun in general.
[MENTION=534]RaiseCane[/MENTION] I'll attempt to answer your questions

It appears we use a man-blocking scheme where the guard/center combo block on the defensive tackles and one of them then tries to get to the second level. As you can see, our backside tackle (tackle away from the run action) sets up to pass block. This creates a natural throwing lane for Kaaya and ability to read the OLB (and cutback lane for the RB).

In this play against GT, Kaaya reads the man coverage and the OLB crashing on the running back. The safety is playing 8 yards off the ball which makes it an easy pitch and catch to Coley.

I don't think we can conclude which RB (Walton or Yearby) is better for the RPO. The fact we can get much push upfront with our guard/centers hinders our ability to run effectively out of this set. I do like Yearby's cut back ability. Watch this RPO play as Yearby recognizes the cute lane created by the tackle setting up to pass block.

I will also note our WRs struggle to get seperation when teams play press man coverage. FSU was playing a lot of press on Coley and the rest of the WRs. They were struggling to create separation on the short to intermediate routes. UNC played Coley the same way.

Coley1.jpg

Coley2.jpg

We do have other shotgun running plays outside of RPOs. Frankly, I don't think they've been that effective. One play that bothered me was late in the 4th we run a shotgun run into a 7 man front. Kaaya or Richt should have checked out of the play. We were outnumbered in the box yet we stuck with the run. This falls on the coaches IMO.

I could care less for RPO's.

Lame offense designed for short gains and keeps the defense moving towards the ball pass or run.

We need to play downfield and use the entire freaking field as we have the horses at WR, RB, and TE to make a pro style offense work which should also suit Kaaya.

Much like last year's defense was unsuitable to the guys we had on D the RPO is unsuitable for the guys we have on offense.

That simple

RPO's aren't unsuitable for anybody. SMH

Designed for short gains? Huh? You know how many big gains we've had off of RPO's?
Walton's long run against FSU was an RPO.
Coley's long catch against GT was an RPO.
Yearby's long run against UNC was an RPO.

LOL @ a spread/RPO offense not being suitable for a team from South FLA.

Last edited:
Having a mobile QB makes the RPO more effective when the talent is equal or worse than the opposition. And if you actually have more talent than the opposition, it's OVER! LOL

Specific to the RPO we're running, the run plays are all inside. The opposition doesn't have to worry about sweeps or bootlegs, which reduces the opportunity to crease inside runs, IMO.

Most defenses are not bringing 6-7 man pressures against spread looks. They're bringing 4 or 5, and having the 5th and 6th guys "read". So, the "read" that Kaaya is making is probably right more often than not. We just have to win the blocks, then the back has to make a play.

There is nothing wrong with the RPO concept. We just haven't executed at the point of attack well enough to establish a run game.

But anyone suggesting RPO's are not MORE effective when the box has to account for a QB run as an OPTION (NOT Specifically an RPO play, but the fact that the QB can and does run) isn't being accurate.

But you don't have to believe me ...

Read this, and draw your own conclusions:

Jalen Hurts powers Alabama's dominant outside running game - SEC Blog- ESPN

Last edited:
Having a mobile QB makes the RPO more effective when the talent is equal or worse than the opposition. And if you actually have more talent than the opposition, it's OVER! LOL

Specific to the RPO we're running, the run plays are all inside. The opposition doesn't have to worry about sweeps or bootlegs, which reduces the opportunity to crease inside runs, IMO.

Most defenses are not bringing 6-7 man pressures against spread looks. They're bringing 4 or 5, and having the 5th and 6th guys "read". So, the "read" that Kaaya is making is probably right more often than not. We just have to win the blocks, then the back has to make a play.

There is nothing wrong with the RPO concept. We just haven't executed at the point of attack well enough to establish a run game.

But anyone suggesting RPO's are not MORE effective when the box has to account for a QB run as an OPTION (NOT Specifically an RPO play, but the fact that the QB can and does run) isn't being accurate.

But you don't have to believe me ...

Read this, and draw your own conclusions:

Jalen Hurts powers Alabama's dominant outside running game - SEC Blog- ESPN

Of course RPO concepts are harder to defend when you have a running QB. It adds another element.

That doesn't mean you NEED a running QB to run an RPO system though. Misinformed people keep saying Kaaya's not built for RPO's.

Advertisement
Back