Roy Williams retired

Brad Stevens has $10 million reasons to take one of the top college coaching jobs in America. With the way things are in Boston right now, this is as good a time as any to make the move. Stevens is still a relatively young coach who could be in Chapel Hill for the next 25+ years if all goes well. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Is Brad Stevens really on the hot seat in Boston?

Stevens may be instantly the best coach in college if he came back.

Advertisement
I agree. We need to find a way to bring in one of these up and comers though. Personally, I feel like UM is an ideal landing spot with great opportunity for success. I am a little biased though.

What are your thoughts on trying to hire away somebody's top assistant if Coach L stays? Like a coach in waiting? I am not a basketball guy but it would make the transition smooth and there has got to be some good names out there. Based on our results though I wouldn't stay in house.
I'm not a huge basketball guy either, but you don't have to be to see there's a problem here. Coach L needs to go and they need to get a fresh coach in, not a continuation of the mediocrity we've seen.

This is a situation where a new broom sweeps the cleanest.

Is Brad Stevens really on the hot seat in Boston?

Stevens may be instantly the best coach in college if he came back.
The Celtic faithful have been booing their team the past few home games. They were really letting them have it last night. There's also been rumblings the past few months from media that Stevens and Danny Ainge may be on the way out if Celtics don't turn things around, which they haven't. Just seems like the Ainge/Stevens marriage may be coming to an end.

The Celtic faithful have been booing their team the past few home games. And there have been rumblings the past few months from media that Stevens and Danny Ainge may be on the way out if Celtics don't turn things around.

I may be off, but this guy should be in the NBA and is doing a pretty good job. He went to the ECF 3/4 years, I know that isn't the goal but that is pretty darn good. At 44 YOs, I doubt he hit his ceiling. I think he will easily have another opportunity to be an NBA HC immediately.

Advertisement
College vs NBA coach? Which is the better job? I know recruiting 17 year olds must often be unpleasant/stressful but ... so must handling the fragile egos of professionals who basically are beyond an NBA coach's authority. What does Stevens make in Boston vs what UNC would pay?

Last edited:
I may be off, but this guy should be in the NBA and is doing a pretty good job. He went to the ECF 3/4 years, I know that isn't the goal but that is pretty darn good. At 44 YOs, I doubt he hit his ceiling. I think he will easily have another opportunity to be an NBA HC immediately.
I agree. To me, he's still one of the top coaches in the league and warrants another NBA HCing job if he leaves Boston. Problem is, NBA isn't for everyone. Big city life isn't for everyone. Pitino left the Celtics for college ball and has never returned to the NBA. Just find it interesting that Celtics aren't doing well right now. Stevens was linked to Indiana job and now is being linked to UNC job. If he was ever to leave the pros for the college ranks, this would be a great time to do it. Jobs like UNC don't open up often.

Last edited:
UNC obviously has a higher standard than the Canes because UNC gets their coach to retire after he makes the NCAA tournament, while the Canes have been cellar dwellers for three years straight with players transferring and a dumpster fire raging out of control.

Brad Stevens is a great basketball coach. Stevens would be a great hire for UNC. and not so good for the Canes and the rest of the ACC.

Jay Larranaga, Coach L’s son, is an Assistant Coach with Brad Stevens in Boston, so it will be interesting to see if his son get promoted to Head Coach, follows Stevens to UNC or comes here to help (or succeed) his dad.

Advertisement
UNC obviously has a higher standard than the Canes because UNC gets their coach to retire after he makes the NCAA tournament, while the Canes have been cellar dwellers for three years straight with players transferring and a dumpster fire raging out of control.

Brad Stevens is a great basketball coach. Stevens would be a great hire for UNC. and not so good for the Canes and the rest of the ACC.

Jay Larranaga, Coach L’s son, is an Assistant Coach with Brad Stevens in Boston, so it will be interesting to see if his son get promoted to Head Coach, follows Stevens to UNC or comes here to help (or succeed) his dad.
If they brought in Jay L. as coach in waiting, would you all take that deal? I admittedly do not know much about him other than he seemed to be well regarded and is L's son.

Edit - As I wrote this, I realized it would be the most Miami hire under Blake James possible.. nepotism and no coaching search?!

Advertisement
If they brought in Jay L. as coach in waiting, would you all take that deal? I admittedly do not know much about him other than he seemed to be well regarded and is L's son.

Edit - As I wrote this, I realized it would be the most Miami hire under Blake James possible.. nepotism and no coaching search?!
Jay L is definitely not the Jay I had in mind. I know it's extremely wishful thinking and a wet dream at this point, but Jay Wright is more in line to what I want here. ****, I think I'd take Jay Bilas over Jay L.

Advertisement
I agree. To me, he's still one of the top coaches in the league and warrants another NBA HCing job if he leaves Boston. Problem is, NBA isn't for everyone. Big city life isn't for everyone. Pitino left the Celtics for college ball and has never returned to the NBA. Just find it interesting that Celtics aren't doing well right now. Stevens was linked to Indiana job and now is being linked to UNC job. If he was ever to leave the pros for the college ranks, this would be a great time to do it. Jobs like UNC don't open up often.

I think timing has a lot to do with Stevens:

1. He is currently employed, UNC is currently looking for a coach.

2. Regardless on my thoughts of how good he is, I don't see any reason to fire Brad Stevens before (a) Boston is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs or (b) actually eliminated from the playoffs. As it stands right now, Boston is the 8th seed. 1.5 Games separate the 8th seed from the 4th seed. There are 20+ games left for Boston and the regular season will go through May. I don't see the positions lining up and I don't see UNC waiting a month or more.

3. The NBA isn't for everyone and neither is college. Does he like to recruit? Does he prefer dealing with NBA talent?

Advertisement
Back