Roy Williams retired

Advertisement
I posted in this in another thread but I'll put it here too:

Roy is retiring after 2 subpar seasons (and they made the tourney this year, although by their standard they weren't good). It was just 3 seasons ago when UNC won the ACC.

Yet we've endured 3 straight seasons of pitiful basketball, and L isn't going anywhere. If he had any pride left, he would step aside.

Roy is retiring after 2 subpar seasons (and they made the tourney this year, although by their standard they weren't good). It was just 3 seasons ago when UNC won the ACC.

Yet we've endured 3 straight seasons of pitiful basketball, and L isn't going anywhere. If he had any pride left, he would step aside.
I never noticed back in the day because Miami was rolling in football for so long. But since we have stunk and have had our run of unsuccessful coaches, it really opened my eyes to how egotistical coaches are. It’s unbelievable.

He left 2 years too late and he's always been a weasel. Great story about him and Izzo walking around at the Final 4 once. Everybody stopped and talked to Izzo. Much respect and love. And Roy just stood there by himself.

Advertisement
I’m hearing it may be Brad Stevens’ job to lose. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Word is that Stevens agreed to take the Indiana job a few weeks ago but backed out of it at the last minute.

let’s see if Wes Miller takes over now Would be a great transition and accomplishment for a former UNC player

Since we're just guessing, I'll go with Hubert Davis.

IMO opinion it is one of the 3 best jobs in college basketball. It has shown the ability to win championships in multiple decades with multiple staffs. That is rare and how it is unlike an Indiana.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m hearing it may be Brad Stevens’ job to lose. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Word is that Stevens agreed to take the Indiana job a few weeks ago but backed out of it at the last minute.
I'd be shocked if Stevens isn't their #1 choice.

Advertisement
So nobody's suggesting Caputo?
1617297576699.png

Not calling you a cat but...

Since we're just guessing, I'll go with Hubert Davis.

IMO opinion it is one of the 3 best jobs in college basketball. It has shown the ability to win championships in multiple decades with multiple staffs. That is rare and how it is unlike an Indiana.
I'd be very surprised if they give the job to a black coach. 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Brad Stevens has $10 million reasons to take one of the top college coaching jobs in America. With the way things are in Boston right now, this is as good a time as any to make the move. Stevens is still a relatively young coach who could be in Chapel Hill for the next 25+ years if all goes well. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I would not be upset if UNC hired Caputo. It just takes away the lazy option from Blake James when Coach L does leave.
I agree. We need to find a way to bring in one of these up and comers though. Personally, I feel like UM is an ideal landing spot with great opportunity for success. I am a little biased though.

What are your thoughts on trying to hire away somebody's top assistant if Coach L stays? Like a coach in waiting? I am not a basketball guy but it would make the transition smooth and there has got to be some good names out there. Based on our results though I wouldn't stay in house.

Correct.

These are sub-par seasons for UNC. If this was Coach L, and he performed that way over the last 3 seasons, there would be no talk about him stepping down. Roy Williams made the Sweet 16 and the NCAAT 2/3 years.

Side note: The last time UNC won the conference was 2016-17. They only "won" the regular season in 2018-19 and that isn't a thing in the ACC.

Advertisement
Back