Roy Williams retired

Advertisement
If they don't go after Wes Miller, it's the perfect opportunity for us to jump on him.
Miller has been holding out for that carolina job. If he doesn’t get it, he’ll finally start listening to other offers. He didn’t even consider taking WF or NC State jobs When they became available last time. And from what I heard, they were both very interested.

I'd be very surprised if they give the job to a black coach. 🤷‍♂️
Hubert Davis will get an interview. But my money is on Brad Stevens if the Celtics keep free falling. Wes Miller is probably choice 1B right now. Few ain’t leaving Gonzaga. Wright isn’t leaving Nova. Watch out for Oates, and Scott Drew. I bet they get a call. Doubt Drew would leave Baylor but Oates might consider it. Chris Holtmann turned down an Indiana interview so he’s also someone I’d expect to get some buzz.

Advertisement
I heard Davis was their 2nd option. UNC did reach out to Brad Stevens. Brad listened but ultimately turned it down. That's when UNC went to the "keep it in the family" narrative. There wasn't a lot of support for Davis, but ultimately it seems it's who Williams wanted to replace him. There are already some who expect Davis to be the fall guy if things don't work out. Almost sounds like they've got their patsy if things go south.

After Stevens turned them down Wes Miller and Hubert Davis immediately became the front runners for the position. They gave Hubert first dibs and the weekend to think it over. I’m hearing Roy had to talk Hubert into taking the job. He came back today and accepted their offer. If you follow UNC hoops you’ll know that Davis has never been a big part of their recruiting efforts.will be interesting how all this plays out. He’s not an assistant anymore and like it or not he’s going to have to be more hands on now that he’s the HC

Advertisement
Are you in NC? If so, is it true that there are folks in NC who were hoping to see LeVelle Moton (NCCU HC) replace Williams?
Yep right in the triangle. And no that’s not true. At least not from anybody with pull, that I heard. Stephen A Smith doesn’t know anything if that’s what you’re referencing lmao.

It was always swing for the fence (Stevens) and like I said Drew was mentioned but I don’t think they ever reached out. After they missed the big fish, the job was always staying in the family. Carolina basketball might be the only other sport that can compete with wanting their guys as much as Miami football does.

Honestly shocked that Davis got it though. I’d be hard pressed to offer a guy with no experience a top 2-3 job in America. Roy must’ve really pushed for him to get it, bc Miller has done nothing but overachieved at UNCG.

I heard Davis was their 2nd option. UNC did reach out to Brad Stevens. Brad listened but ultimately turned it down. That's when UNC went to the "keep it in the family" narrative. There wasn't a lot of support for Davis, but ultimately it seems it's who Williams wanted to replace him. There are already some who expect Davis to be the fall guy if things don't work out. Almost sounds like they've got their patsy if things go south.
I didn’t see this post earlier but I felt the same way when I heard he accepted. Davis can be the easy to blame fall guy. It also lends them credit bc they finally hired a black coach who’s also a carolina guy.

I mean Wes Miller was the obvious choice between the two. I hope it ****es him off and that relationship sours, bc I n all honesty it should. He got screwed.

Just struck me as odd that it got done this quick. How do you not reach out to Oates or Boynton or Holtmann? I really hope this goes up in flames. Theres nothing worse than those entitled pricks in Chapel Hill.

1. Hubert Davis has ZERO HC experience.
2. Hubert Davis turns 51 YO in May.
3. UNC is one of the best programs.
4. Roy Williams was making ~$4.0MM.

--------------------

I don't understand.
Agree. Extremely underwhelming hire for UNC. In a way, it reminds me of UM football hiring Manny Diaz. There are much much much more qualified candidates out there, but they'd rather stay "in house" and honor the Carolina bloodline like we often do here.

Advertisement
I'm not defending the Davis hire, but people don't understand how the game has changed. 30 years ago a blue bold school would have its pick of coaches, today that is not the case. Look at UCLA's last three searches. Each time they got about their 7th choice, including Alford and Cronin. Smart coaches, and agents, use outside interest as leverage to improve their current situations.

As an example, if I'm at Ohio State and Indiana come sniffing, I turn that into three more guaranteed years at OSU instead of going to Indiana.

Agree. Extremely underwhelming hire for UNC. In a way, it reminds me of UM football hiring Manny Diaz. There are much much much more qualified candidates out there, but they'd rather stay "in house" and honor the Carolina bloodline like we often do here.

Except Roy Williams was an actual success and they promoted from a winning regime.

Here, it was the opposite. We promoted from a losing regime. We also paid $4MM for the rights to do so.

Advertisement
Back