Rousseau Scouting Report

I’ve never played football, not even in a video game, so I’m really not qualified to evaluate talent like that but I have a question. What could the coaches have seen last season to cause them to start Scott Patchan over Greg?
With corches there is the human factor and there are many who are risk averse than actually trying to make things happen (why you had guys who had 3 yards and cloud of dust mindset, prevent defense, etc). They would rather go with the known than unknown then you add the ego of wanting to be smartest in room and not being questioned in interviews about their choices. Sometimes they just love a kid more or the more talented kid they want to "teach him a lesson" (derrick smith situation)

Sometimes they see themselves in a more limited kid and want to give him more opportunities (randy back in day with glenn cook). Some corches will put a guy who is extremely limited on field because he is a hard worker (this is still shayon green's team) but cant make plays.

Its alot of different reason but people think it changes but it doesnt, it happens from every level, from pop warner to the highest of levels

with Scott he had seniority, experience, knew the plays and had the heart string story of many injuries but a hard worker. It wasnt until he started being knucklehead and getting bonehead penalties and our corches getting questioned in media for weeks straight did they make a change. Mind you everyone knew what Greg was as a true freshman in practice and RAVED about him from first practice

Advertisement
He's not playing DT on anything other than 3rd down pass rush packages.

260-270 would be too light at 6'2" nevermind 6'6"-6'7"
They'd moosh his a$$ and put him in our Linebackers lap. 😆

Advertisement
Every-time CIS projects UM’s starting Dline y’all always have Nesta starting and I just don’t see it

I always hear mixed reviews from Stroud are our players getting good technique like coach Simpson and Kool did before

Advertisement
I don't see Roche as a 1st rounder due to size.
He is listed as 6'4 235. If he puts up same numbers he has previously I dont think size will be an issue. These guys train specifically for combine and his team will get him the additional weight if thats what you mean. Size is not an issue

Yup.

There's about 5 or 6 different Quads we can run with on the DLine in certain packages.

On 3rd downs (depending on the yards to convert) you can go with:

WDE - Quincy Roche
1Tech - Jon Ford
3Tech - Gregory Rousseau
SDE - Jaelan Phillips

Or

DE - Gregory Rousseau
DT - Nesta Silvera
DT - Jordan Miller
DE - Jaelan Phillips

Or

DE - Jaelan Phillips
DT - Jared Harrison-Hunte
DT - Gregory Rousseau
DE - Jahfari Harvey

Or

DE - Quincy Roche
DT - Jalar Holley
DT - Jason Blissett
DE - Cam Williams

Or

DE - Gregory Rousseau
DT - Nesta Silvera
DE - Jahfari Harvey

There's about 5 more I could come up with & I'm not even including none of the TF's or the dozen or so combos on 3-down lineman sets we could with too.

We have an insanely deep Defensive line, literally one of the top 5 in the Nation.
And we are deep enough to shirt a kid like Chantz who is going to be a stud in his own right. Now if we blitz less and just allow the DL to hunt.

Advertisement
I hope he doesn’t end up like Kaaya before his junior year... I.e. people were predicting him to go #1 overall and he left to be a sixth rounder. Having a guy go top 5 would be great

Yup.

There's about 5 or 6 different Quads we can run with on the DLine in certain packages.

WDE - Quincy Roche
1Tech - Jon Ford
3Tech - Gregory Rousseau
SDE - Jaelan Phillips

Or

DE - Gregory Rousseau
DT - Nesta Silvera
DT - Jordan Miller
DE - Jaelan Phillips

Or

DE - Jaelan Phillips
DT - Gregory Rousseau
DE - Jahfari Harvey

Or

DE - Quincy Roche
DT - Jalar Holley
DT - Jason Blissett
DE - Cam Williams

Or

DE - Gregory Rousseau
DT - Nesta Silvera
DE - Jahfari Harvey

There's about 5 more I could come up with & I'm not even including none of the TF's or the dozen or so combos on 3-down lineman sets we could with too.

We have an insanely deep Defensive line, literally one of the top 5 in the Nation.
Agreed Liberty, we have signed wave after wave of good to great DL. Stroud has to teach them but if we see Rousseau, Roche, Phillips,Harvey, etc. continue to grow as athletes and players? Man the stars are truly aligning for a magical season.

I hope he doesn’t end up like Kaaya before his junior year... I.e. people were predicting him to go #1 overall and he left to be a sixth rounder. Having a guy go top 5 would be great

Only morons thought Kaaya would go #1

Guy had the athletic ability of a rock and his arm wasn’t that strong

Advertisement
I see Rousseau as a first round pick next year, but probably not Phillips or Roche. Rousseau is a rare talent. I saw him up close a few times, and he is a legitimate 6‘6” or 6’7”, with room to grow. Rousseau should get drafted in the first round if he has another productive year. If you put together a composite of first round picks at DE over the last ten years, you have Gregory Rousseau. However, if Rousseau isn’t productive and coasts like Jon Garvin did, he may slip out of the first round.

From what I could see in the spring drills, Phillips has a rare skill set in terms of power and explosion. Phillips looks like a potential first round pick IN DRILLS. But IMHO, Phillips will need a very very productive season, and that may not be enough for the former #1 overall recruit, due his injury history.

Roche may not get drafted in the first round because he is only 235 lbs, which is very small for an NFL DE. Roche is more of a LB size. Charles Haley and Jason Taylor were 235 , and they both are in the HOF. I am not going as far as to say that Roche is A future NFL HOF DE, but I think he can find a significant role on an NFL team

Regardless, when you throw in Harvey, Williams and the rest of the DEs, this is the best group of DEs the Canes have had since 2004.

Yup.

WDE - Quincy Roche
1Tech - Jon Ford
3Tech - Gregory Rousseau
SDE - Jaelan Phillips

Or

DE - Gregory Rousseau
DT - Nesta Silvera
DT - Jordan Miller
DE - Jaelan Phillips

Or

DE - Jaelan Phillips
DT - Gregory Rousseau
DE - Jahfari Harvey

Or

DE - Quincy Roche
DT - Jalar Holley
DT - Jason Blissett
DE - Cam Williams

Or

DE - Gregory Rousseau
DT - Nesta Silvera
DE - Jahfari Harvey

Facts if we could get the WR and QB room up to par with the D Line on the year to year basis we'll be in the playoff hunt EVERY year

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back