Rousseau Opts out - F****

for our enjoyment yes, but this is their life not their saturday escape from the real world.
I definitely agree. Still sucks for fans though. I would do the same thing as him in a heartbeat. I'm just saying as a fan, there's not a whole lot I'd be willing to trade if it means not getting to watch our best player ball out.

Advertisement
Well I guess we haven’t turned the corner completely. This blows not only for this year but the next. If Phillips blows up he aint staying either. So our 2 best defensive ends won’t be here for bama when we need them the most.
Who did he sign with?

It’s happening at dabo’s school right now..and not just with Xavier Thomas
expect TE Sage Ennis & WR Ajou Ajou to also opt out

i'm shocked there hasn't been more "noise" about Trevor Lawrence opting out..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Main reason this blows for me is that now if Phillips balls he’s gone too. I was banking on him coming on slow as the 3rd DE then be the leader of the defense on ‘21. He still may stay for his senior year but Manny May have to play the portal for leadership for ‘21 at DE.

Yep. This is why it's hard for me to wrap my mind around this. In a complete vacuum, of course it's smart to sit out. You can just workout until April and you're a millionaire. But nobody has ever done that before, ever. And the reason is because, if you're a football player, you play football. Scouts, GMs, your teammates....everyone hits you with a side-eye in a normal climate if you just say, "Hey, I know I'm good enough to play in the league, so y'all got this. I'll be in the weight room".

So clearly, the only reason kids are doing this now is because of Covid. Nothing else has changed. 2020 is the same as every single season since 1880 except for one variable: COVID-19. And, IMO, kids have people in their ear saying, "Now is your chance. You can do what people really SHOULD have been doing for a long time, but now you have an acceptable excuse. You don't want to play because of Covid. Opt-out. Let's go to the bank."

So, if you wanna say he's smart by sitting out, I agree. But also if you wanna say it's all bull**** and Covid has nothing to do with it, that's also true.
You said this in the most reasonable way imo. Everyone else is freaking out. The thing with either opinion is that we don't actually know why he opted out. It's just all speculation.

Of course you'd say this. I'm impressed you've managed to last on this board.
Why because I Support a player making a business decision, that's best for him and his family? Dude is literally 9 Months away from his family and himself life being changed forever. He shouldn't let any road block get in his way. He's literally at Ground Zero for Covid and can easily get it while staying in Miami. We have no idea how it will effect us long term. We also have no idea if Greg has underlining health issues either. He needs to take his *** to Montana or some **** and prepare for the combine so he can be safe and set himself up for life.

Bro, it's not about being mad, it's about being smart. The NFL isn't like the NBA or MLB where your salary is guaranteed. There is a 20 mil difference guaranteed between 5th and 15th. Things happen. A player literally lost an arm in a car accident before the season. Playing and ending up top 5 can make it a near lock that you will have generational wealth. Not playing and risking a fall to mid 1st means you are injury or illness away from losing 20 million dollars. I'm not mad at the kid, I just think it is a short-sighted view with too high a risk to opt out.
You can have that approach with anything in life. You can walk outside and get hit by a car. Not even trying to be snarky, my dude, but I'm sure he weighed his options and looked at the pros and cons of everything. This ain't Tommy Streeter or Trajan Bandy or Garvin leaving early.

This is a unique situation where players have the opportunity to take advantage of. What does a player like GR15 honestly get from coming back? Is he going to get better? Probably not. He's already elite. At this point. there are more cons to him coming back than not. The smart decision is to opt and chase the money. You spend this entire offseason just training (outside of the UM facilities of course. Any player who opts out should not be allowed to use team facilities).

Yeah, not playing means you're risking a drop in draft stock, but it also means less risk of injury and no risk in a performance drop, which will DEFINITELY drop your draft stock. Of course, I want him to play, but I don't think it's a stupid move for him to opt out. If there's a high likelihood of going Top 3 rounds in the draft, as is the case with GR15, then I don't view it as being short sighted.

Advertisement
We could have avoided this problem altogether people weren't a bunch of whiny pussies incapable of sitting in their houses for 3 weeks and wearing some masks on their faces to get groceries... but I digress. Let's blame the kid for taking advantage of an opportunity to mitigate risk.

Screenshot_20200806-160552_Twitter.jpg

This shìt is not about covid. It just so happens that all the top players are the only ones worried? Spare me. Good luck. His choice. But it’s just a convenient excuse
Facts Yo , He better work his *** off and better be a top 15pick if not .... Anyone jump ship is being lazy bro. Yes next man up!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back