Rousseau Opts out - F****

Advertisement
Wish he would have stayed. Isn’t his biggest knock only 1 year of playing? Still got him as a top 10 pick but probably could have been top 3 if he duplicated last season

Man that blows, if he doesn’t go first round it was a terrible choice by him. If he does great for him, hoping he goes top 10. I doubt he’s the only big name in cfb to opt out so it takes some of the sting away.

Advertisement
A. none of us know what his family may be dealing with in terms of risk factors
B. lack of training does hurt a lot of these guys esp as it relates to injuries (not even saying he didnt train, other guys may not have or may not have read the playbook and could still be learning the system with week 1 approaching soon)

I'm trying to be open minded and understanding here. You're right on A....maybe he has compromised family members. Of course we don't know. But hasn't he been on campus? Working out? Are the kids who are opting out saying that they feel they're more likely to contract the virus playing football than just living their everyday lives? Honestly just asking. I guess it's more risky, but unless he's quarantining I don't see how he's not taking risks in contracting it.

And B is my only other thought. These kids with these massive impending paydays are thinking they haven't trained properly?

I just really don't fully understand this. If this was something that happened all the time, I get it. Like if I was Trevor Lawrence, in a normal climate (no Covid), I'd have a long, hard look at playing ball this year. He's the #1 pick if he never takes another snap. So you're certainly risking a lot. But nobody has ever done this before. Now a virus comes along and people are choosing not to play because of the risk? What risk, exactly? Trying to learn here.

Advertisement
Go look at mock drafts before a college season and after. It was definitely possible for Greg to suit up this year and play himself out of the 1st Round.

Sitting out, he’ll maintain his current draft integrity as a 1st round, probably top 10 pick. Add that to Stroud and Diaz’s resumes, which should help us next offseason when we’re turning up the heat on the stud DE class in 2022.

Bottom line, definitely bummed he’s not playing but I can’t remember the last time we had a first round DL. Should give us some juice on the trail.

You never want to lose a kid like Rousseau but if there's one spot we have the depth to absorb a hit like that it's DE. I'm more concerned about who's going to be getting the snaps inside on passing downs. I was counting on him being our best pass rushing DT this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Happens to Miami almost every year. 2016, best two players get suspended and never play a down (Mohammed and Grace). 2017, kaaya and Njoku declare for the draft. Norton and McIntosh declaring early, Willis was at Miami for like 4 years but only played a season and change, Rousseau is at Miami for 3 years and starts 6 games. Until our best players stay at school and play in a lot of games like they do at Bama and Clemson, It will continue to be an uphill battle for Miami.

Advertisement
In hindsight, who is the last Cane who unequivocally made a good decision by leaving early? McGahee? These always seem to end up dumb decisions.

Advertisement
Back