Roster Management - Miami's 78 vs Bama's 89 plus

I'm not even going to comment on the idiocy of that sentence.

First, this isn't the NFL. There is no such thing as "89 scholarship players signed".

Second, it is the UPCOMING season. Hasn't happened yet. Guys will leave. Some others haven't even reported to campus yet. I have no doubt that Saban will get to 85 just like he does every year.

Finally, this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Miami's cited number is "78", which refers to RECRUITED scholarship players. We always hit 85 by giving out scholarships to walk-ons. Whereas, Alabama's number is transitory, it has not yet factored in all the comings and goings of the off-season. It is misleading to act as if Alabama will ever ACTUALLY have 89 recruited scholarship players on the roster at any particular measurement date (such as August 2020).

Does Miami need to do better? OF COURSE. We must, Must, MUST develop and retain our signees better than we have been doing. And at a level that Saban currently enjoys.

This isn't rocket science. If a higher percentage of signees develop and play at Alabama, and if a lower percentage of signees transfer out of Alabama annually, then Alabama will be closer to 85 than Miami will be. It's not some secret trick that Saban uses to run a roster of 90.

Alright dude, you constantly come on here trying to white knight when the guy made a simple statement and posted an article from a reputable site, then when someone calls you out, you post some long ish to prove your point. Weren't you also the porster who tried to do a "mic drop" exit by posting your paltry 99k avg salary for tax lawyers?

But lets address your points:

1. Players do sign to commit to a school, currently Bama has 89 players who were offered scholarships, signed their papers, so there is such a thing as "89 scholarship players signed"

2. No **** sherlock, it says upcoming season, obviously bama will get to the 85 number but it points to a bigger issue of Bama getting to take full classes every year, exceed the scholarship limit in the offseason, and trim the fat of upperclassman that just were not working out.

3. How is it apples to oranges? We are forced to give walkons a one year scholarship to get to 85 and bama is wishing former 4-stars well to make room for new 4stars. And Bama does had 89 recruited scholarship players on its roster at a particular measurement date.... today. January 28, 2020.

Advertisement
Alright dude, you constantly come on here trying to white knight when the guy made a simple statement and posted an article from a reputable site, then when someone calls you out, you post some long ish to prove your point. Weren't you also the porster who tried to do a "mic drop" exit by posting your paltry 99k avg salary for tax lawyers?

But lets address your points:

1. Players do sign to commit to a school, currently Bama has 89 players who were offered scholarships, signed their papers, so there is such a thing as "89 scholarship players signed"

2. No **** sherlock, it says upcoming season, obviously bama will get to the 85 number but it points to a bigger issue of Bama getting to take full classes every year, exceed the scholarship limit in the offseason, and trim the fat of upperclassman that just were not working out.

3. How is it apples to oranges? We are forced to give walkons a one year scholarship to get to 85 and bama is wishing former 4-stars well to make room for new 4stars. And Bama does had 89 recruited scholarship players on its roster at a particular measurement date.... today. January 28, 2020.

Don't know what to say at this point, other than to say that you are clueless.

Either you don't know what "white knight" means, or you have me confused with someone else. It is probably the latter, as I also never did a "mic drop" over salary. I never really talk about salaries (which are wildly divergent in different geographic regions).

I'm not going to bother addressing all three of your whiny points, I'll simply address your second point as a symptom of your *****-mentality. Sure Alabama "gets to take full classes every year". So does Miami. The difference is not, and never has been, "how many you can sign", it is how many you can develop and retain.

You and every other pvssy who whines about scholarship limitations on signing classes needs to focus on the real issues, having better coaches and not treating players like garbage simply because they take issue with things like coaching turnover, playcalling, offensive/defensive philosophy, and playing time.

Better coaching and better talent development will get us to 85. Stupid numerical comparisons to Alabama will not.

Don't know what to say at this point, other than to say that you are clueless.

Either you don't know what "white knight" means, or you have me confused with someone else. It is probably the latter, as I also never did a "mic drop" over salary. I never really talk about salaries (which are wildly divergent in different geographic regions).

I'm not going to bother addressing all three of your whiny points, I'll simply address your second point as a symptom of your *****-mentality. Sure Alabama "gets to take full classes every year". So does Miami. The difference is not, and never has been, "how many you can sign", it is how many you can develop and retain.

You and every other pvssy who whines about scholarship limitations on signing classes needs to focus on the real issues, having better coaches and not treating players like garbage simply because they take issue with things like coaching turnover, playcalling, offensive/defensive philosophy, and playing time.

Better coaching and better talent development will get us to 85. Stupid numerical comparisons to Alabama will not.

Oh reallllyyyyy go on please as you never did a mic drop over salary....

IMG_2939.PNG

Was actually not hard to find if you search "tax attorney" you come up no less than 5 times informing everyone of your status. I remember this particular instance because you were later throttled and tried to backtrack.

I am also smiling slightly thinking about you feverishly typing your 4 paragraph response to this.

I've always thought 85 was too much anyway.

The NCAA should drop the scholarship limit to 75.

130 times 10 gives you a player pool of 1300 kids that other schools can recruit from, which leads to parity, which leads to attendance going up...simple.

So I thought the 85 was just scholarships allowed. I think you are allowed like 105 or 125 players or something like that on the "roster" total.
I turned over to a VOL game last year and just happened to hear one of the announcers say they had 120 players on the team. I thought how in the **** did they get that many and how do they manage that many?

Advertisement
I turned over to a VOL game last year and just happened to hear one of the announcers say they had 120 players on the team. I thought how in the **** did they get that many and how do they manage that many?
prob related to reaching academic goals.. need about 20 extra A students to balance out their starters

Who in THE **** does any type of celebratory “mic drop” over being a tax attorney. Man that’s like going to med school only to end up being a nurses assistant.

Here's what we have right now:
DB: Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams, Gutierrez Jr, Burrows, Clarke, Dunson (possibly)
DL: Harvey, Rousseau, Jade, Williams, Scibelli, Carter, Harrison-Hunte, Neely, Miller, Blissett Jr, Phillips, Ford, Holley, Williams, Levine, Roche, Roberts
FB: Parrot
K: Borregales, Davidson, Price
LB: Brooks, Huff, Steed, Ragone, Smith, Alford, Jennings, Hoffman, Joyner, McCloud, Austin-Cave, Flagg
LS: Napper, James, Nadelsticher
OL: Scaife, Reed, Clark, Donaldson, Herbert, Nelson, Gaynor, Traore, Dykstra, Griffith, Campbell Jr, Hillery, ElGammal, Rivers, Washington
P: Hedley
QB: Perry, Rizk, Matocha, King, Martell, Van Dyke
RB: Burns, Harris, Cashwell, Chaney Jr, Knighton
S: Smith, Carter, Bolden, Hall Jr, Barnes, Feldmann, Washington, Frierson, Balom, Harrell
TE: Jordan, Prosek, Hodges, Mallory, Irvin II, Mammarelli
WR: Harley, Pope, Wiggins, Payton, Few, Byrne, Lugo-***undo, Johnson, Huggins, Tubbs, Howard, Redding III, Restrepo, Worsham

Our roster is not ****, but it's far from horrible; however, there is a lot of bodies on this roster. I'm not seeing who's the next group of guys to carry on the legacy (although our legacy has been shot to ****, so that's not saying much)

DL and TE are by far our strongest position. S could be strong, but we have a boat load of strikers and not Safeties. All in all, I'm not seeing many positions where last year starters will feel threatened. I'm not seeing the competition to push guys to be better. Jmo.

I see some dead weight at LB and OL. That will hopefully be helped in the next few cycles.

Advertisement
Oh reallllyyyyy go on please as you never did a mic drop over salary....

View attachment 110232

Was actually not hard to find if you search "tax attorney" you come up no less than 5 times informing everyone of your status. I remember this particular instance because you were later throttled and tried to backtrack.

I am also smiling slightly thinking about you feverishly typing your 4 paragraph response to this.

Hilarious.

THAT is a mic drop?

Go back and do more research on my posts, along with that other loser who was stalking me last week.

The Hecht apologists are really working overtime this week.

Why don't you go back and find threads that show that I had optimism about Randy, Golden, and Richt in their first years? Wouldn't be difficult.

Walk-ons. Nebraska does the same thing. It's fairly easy when you have (for the most part) only one big state school where all of the local kids dream of attending. Lots of people walk on, the tuition is cheap.

85 to high, not with possible 14 game seasons, **** they used to have 125 on scholarships playing 10 game in a season, with one bowl game.
think the number should go back to 95 : that way you can red shirt most of your Freshmen class: Players are bigger and faster and there seems to be more injuries than ever with more games.
Also Miami is at a big disadvantage with walk on's : **** some of these schools have over 100 kids walked on, and find some truly good players among these walk on's. Our walk on's seemed to be basically kickers, and punters.

Advertisement
Walk-ons. Nebraska does the same thing. It's fairly easy when you have (for the most part) only one big state school where all of the local kids dream of attending. Lots of people walk on, the tuition is cheap.
That's what I assumed knowing the scholarship limits but I still thought to myself that's a helluva lot of 18-22 year olds to manage. And we could probably have a LONG discussion about the pros and cons! NOT!

Back when Butch had to work around NCAA restrictions he had to be creative. I think it was Tony Gaiter who was here on a track scholarship.

Hilarious.

THAT is a mic drop?

Go back and do more research on my posts, along with that other loser who was stalking me last week.

The Hecht apologists are really working overtime this week.

Why don't you go back and find threads that show that I had optimism about Randy, Golden, and Richt in their first years? Wouldn't be difficult.

Uh yaaa you typing "last laugh" and posting a link to what you thought was proof of a high salary was your attempt to walk off. Not our fault it flopped like most of your jokes and arguments on this site.

I also have no earthly idea what you are talking about in regards to others stalking you, Hecht apologists, or your optimism about previous regimes.

Advertisement
What do we think of this junior class?

1NestaSilveraDLJr.
6MarkPopeWRJr.
7AlBladesCBJr.
8DJIveyCBJr.
8DeeWigginsWRJr.
9BrevinJordanTEJr.
23Cam'RonHarrisRBJr.
26GurvanHallSJr.
51DJScaifeOLJr.
85WillMalloryTEJr.
5N'KosiPerryQBR-Jr.
17WaynmonSteedLBR-Jr.
18TateMartellQBR-Jr.
21BubbaBoldenSR-Jr.
22RobertBurnsRBR-Jr.
27MarshallFewWRR-Jr.
41MichaelParrottFBR-Jr.
44BradleyJennings LBR-Jr.
57Kai-LeonHerbertOLR-Jr.
65CoreyGaynorOLR-Jr.
67ZachDykstraOLR-Jr.
75Zalon'taeHilleryOLR-Jr.
94LouHedleyPR-Jr.
95JaelanPhillipsDLR-Jr.

Back when Butch had to work around NCAA restrictions he had to be creative. I think it was Tony Gaiter who was here on a track scholarship.

That would be amazing, since Erickson signed Tony Gaiter.

Butch did sign Santana Moss to a track scholarship, though.

That would be amazing, since Erickson signed Tony Gaiter.

Butch did sign Santana Moss to a track scholarship, though.
That would be why I said, "think". I didn't have time to look it up, had to get on a conference call. I said Gaiter because I know he was a three time 200 meter state champion.

Advertisement
Back