Roster Management - Miami's 78 vs Bama's 89 plus

Paranos

All-ACC
Let's talk roster management for moment as Miami is hovering around 78-80 scholarship players tops and struggling to find room to added much neended Oline depth for 202p.

Where as Bama has 89 scholarship players and is adding more. Supposedly the 85 man roster was a hard number, but either they can't count in Tuscaloosa apparently or the NCAA is ttruly that deeply invested in that cash cow they turn a blind eye.

Go Canes

Advertisement
“Nigel Knott has redshirted medically for some of the medical issues that he had,” Saban said. “He’s in school here. We want to support him and help him to get an education. He was a very good teammate for a lot of our players. He worked hard, really did a good job in this program, but the medical staff felt that it was not in his best interest to be able to continue to play football.”

Dude is probably 100% healed but Saban needs to trim the fat.

Let's talk roster management for moment as Miami is hovering around 78-80 scholarship players tops and struggling to find room to added much neended Oline depth for 202p.

Where as Bama has 89 scholarship players and is adding more. Supposedly the 85 man roster was a hard number, but either they can't count in Tuscaloosa apparently or the NCAA is ttruly that deeply invested in that cash cow they turn a blind eye.

Go Canes

Yeah, Alabama has "89".

The crap you read on this site...

Advertisement

So I thought the 85 was just scholarships allowed. I think you are allowed like 105 or 125 players or something like that on the "roster" total.

“Nigel Knott has redshirted medically for some of the medical issues that he had,” Saban said. “He’s in school here. We want to support him and help him to get an education. He was a very good teammate for a lot of our players. He worked hard, really did a good job in this program, but the medical staff felt that it was not in his best interest to be able to continue to play football.”

Dude is probably 100% healed but Saban needs to trim the fat.

Oh Nick. Using the medical hardship waiver to reclaim scholarships from underperforming kids again.

most top notch teams use grey shirts, red shirts, blue shirts medical issues to trim roster and avoid hard cap each year.
they want to win we want just to cash checks

Advertisement
They do have 89... when those Juniors declared they were coming back, it threw a wrench on their roster management..if they dont get below the 85, they will lose the option to get 25 kids each cycle n will be operating like they have 20... it prebents oversigning all those years to play keep away from other programs

Go Canes
Does Bama still play games in Birmingham and Tuscaloosa? Maybe they get 85 for each stadium.

Advertisement
Well realistically only 44 can be real contributes..other than some of the oline I dont see A lot of “just bodies” on the roster rn..but our numbers are extremely low

You need a full roster to keep the competition high. No, not everyone will heavily contribute in games but you have to have developmental guys in the pipeline for future years, depth in case of injury and players to field a scout team etc.

For example, we are pretty low on corners with only 5 for spring ball (luckily we added Dunson late so next year its 6 on the roster). During the season 2 will start, 3 in some packages. That means you should have a minimum of 5 on the 2 deep and ready to play, preferably more. Those guys are preparing for gameday during the week. That leaves ONE scholarship corner for the scout team. And this is against an offense that runs 3 or 4 WR sets as its base package. Not a good situation to build competitive practices

Well realistically only 44 can be real contributes..other than some of the oline I dont see A lot of “just bodies” on the roster rn..but our numbers are extremely low

Here's what we have right now:
DB: Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams, Gutierrez Jr, Burrows, Clarke, Dunson (possibly)
DL: Harvey, Rousseau, Jade, Williams, Scibelli, Carter, Harrison-Hunte, Neely, Miller, Blissett Jr, Phillips, Ford, Holley, Williams, Levine, Roche, Roberts
FB: Parrot
K: Borregales, Davidson, Price
LB: Brooks, Huff, Steed, Ragone, Smith, Alford, Jennings, Hoffman, Joyner, McCloud, Austin-Cave, Flagg
LS: Napper, James, Nadelsticher
OL: Scaife, Reed, Clark, Donaldson, Herbert, Nelson, Gaynor, Traore, Dykstra, Griffith, Campbell Jr, Hillery, ElGammal, Rivers, Washington
P: Hedley
QB: Perry, Rizk, Matocha, King, Martell, Van Dyke
RB: Burns, Harris, Cashwell, Chaney Jr, Knighton
S: Smith, Carter, Bolden, Hall Jr, Barnes, Feldmann, Washington, Frierson, Balom, Harrell
TE: Jordan, Prosek, Hodges, Mallory, Irvin II, Mammarelli
WR: Harley, Pope, Wiggins, Payton, Few, Byrne, Lugo-***undo, Johnson, Huggins, Tubbs, Howard, Redding III, Restrepo, Worsham

Our roster is not ****, but it's far from horrible; however, there is a lot of bodies on this roster. I'm not seeing who's the next group of guys to carry on the legacy (although our legacy has been shot to ****, so that's not saying much)

DL and TE are by far our strongest position. S could be strong, but we have a boat load of strikers and not Safeties. All in all, I'm not seeing many positions where last year starters will feel threatened. I'm not seeing the competition to push guys to be better. Jmo.

Here's what we have right now:
DB: Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams, Gutierrez Jr, Burrows, Clarke, Dunson (possibly)
DL: Harvey, Rousseau, Jade, Williams, Scibelli, Carter, Harrison-Hunte, Neely, Miller, Blissett Jr, Phillips, Ford, Holley, Williams, Levine, Roche, Roberts
FB: Parrot
K: Borregales, Davidson, Price
LB: Brooks, Huff, Steed, Ragone, Smith, Alford, Jennings, Hoffman, Joyner, McCloud, Austin-Cave, Flagg
LS: Napper, James, Nadelsticher
OL: Scaife, Reed, Clark, Donaldson, Herbert, Nelson, Gaynor, Traore, Dykstra, Griffith, Campbell Jr, Hillery, ElGammal, Rivers, Washington
P: Hedley
QB: Perry, Rizk, Matocha, King, Martell, Van Dyke
RB: Burns, Harris, Cashwell, Chaney Jr, Knighton
S: Smith, Carter, Bolden, Hall Jr, Barnes, Feldmann, Washington, Frierson, Balom, Harrell
TE: Jordan, Prosek, Hodges, Mallory, Irvin II, Mammarelli
WR: Harley, Pope, Wiggins, Payton, Few, Byrne, Lugo-***undo, Johnson, Huggins, Tubbs, Howard, Redding III, Restrepo, Worsham

Our roster is not ****, but it's far from horrible; however, there is a lot of bodies on this roster. I'm not seeing who's the next group of guys to carry on the legacy (although our legacy has been shot to ****, so that's not saying much)

DL and TE are by far our strongest position. S could be strong, but we have a boat load of strikers and not Safeties. All in all, I'm not seeing many positions where last year starters will feel threatened. I'm not seeing the competition to push guys to be better. Jmo.
That hard 25 cap is gonna be tough to overcome

Advertisement
Bruh did you click the link? it literally says "The Tide currently has 89 scholarship players signed for the upcoming 2020 season -- four over the limit."

OP is just citing what 247 stated.

I'm not even going to comment on the idiocy of that sentence.

First, this isn't the NFL. There is no such thing as "89 scholarship players signed".

Second, it is the UPCOMING season. Hasn't happened yet. Guys will leave. Some others haven't even reported to campus yet. I have no doubt that Saban will get to 85 just like he does every year.

Finally, this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Miami's cited number is "78", which refers to RECRUITED scholarship players. We always hit 85 by giving out scholarships to walk-ons. Whereas, Alabama's number is transitory, it has not yet factored in all the comings and goings of the off-season. It is misleading to act as if Alabama will ever ACTUALLY have 89 recruited scholarship players on the roster at any particular measurement date (such as August 2020).

Does Miami need to do better? OF COURSE. We must, Must, MUST develop and retain our signees better than we have been doing. And at a level that Saban currently enjoys.

This isn't rocket science. If a higher percentage of signees develop and play at Alabama, and if a lower percentage of signees transfer out of Alabama annually, then Alabama will be closer to 85 than Miami will be. It's not some secret trick that Saban uses to run a roster of 90.

That hard 25 cap is gonna be tough to overcome

You know, there's loop holes to everything....EVERYTHING. The great teams have exploited these loop holes, b/c they have the clout to do so. We don't have such clout.

If the 25 cap is gonna be tough, then we better make it count by who we recruit. I believe that's our biggest problem.

You know, there's loop holes to everything....EVERYTHING. The great teams have exploited these loop holes, b/c they have the clout to do so. We don't have such clout.

If the 25 cap is gonna be tough, then we better make it count by who we recruit. I believe that's our biggest problem.

losing kids early and being forced to bring in 1 year transfers kill us. gotta get better in recruiting as you said so youre not forced to bring in 1 year guys bc guys behind arent ready

Advertisement
Back