Roster Management (How to build a winner)

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

This is a very good article about how Scott Drew built his roster at Baylor to become the #1 team in the nation. You have to think, if he can recruit kids to Waco, TX then Miami becoming the #1 team in the nation is more realistic than we think.

Advertisement
Schools like Baylor have always relied heavily on transfers, especially JC transfers. We're like them as far as reliance on 4-year college transfers, not so much on the JC variety.

It's not lost on me that the guys involved in the infamous basketball team murder there at Baylor (victim and perp) were, I believe, JC transfers under Dave Bliss's renegade reign as HC. He rightly pointed out that making Baylor a contender required him to go after low-character JuCos. Guys he didn't necessarily want to recruit ... Scott Drew may or may not be following down that terrible path.

Every year per Fran.

I don't think a complete build is needed yearly for a program like Miami, but yearly roster management is obviously necessary. We won't have a lot of one-and-done players that'll need to be replaced yearly, and we shouldn't have a large number of transfers to replace either.

We should have 3-4 year players on the roster constantly so the foundation should be there. It'll be a matter of hitting the transfer market yearly to fill a hole here or there. Just foresight will be needed to see if we should bring in a transfer that'll be eligible immediately or not.

Regarding high school recruits, we don't need a roster full of top 10 guys; not like we could build a roster that way anyway. But we should have no problem building a good program full of top 50-100 guys with a handful of top 30-40 players like Timberlake and Beverly. I think L works better with veteran players anyway than a roster full of young blue chips anyway.

My biggest worry is our offensive system. The high screen-and-roll offense while the other three players stand around isn't gonna cut it. We have no movement, motion, backscreens, we don't push the tempo. It's just stale and inefficient. Until we implement a better offensive system we'll continue to be underachieving.

Advertisement
I don't think a complete build is needed yearly for a program like Miami, but yearly roster management is obviously necessary. We won't have a lot of one-and-done players that'll need to be replaced yearly, and we shouldn't have a large number of transfers to replace either.

We should have 3-4 year players on the roster constantly so the foundation should be there. It'll be a matter of hitting the transfer market yearly to fill a hole here or there. Just foresight will be needed to see if we should bring in a transfer that'll be eligible immediately or not.

Regarding high school recruits, we don't need a roster full of top 10 guys; not like we could build a roster that way anyway. But we should have no problem building a good program full of top 50-100 guys with a handful of top 30-40 players like Timberlake and Beverly. I think L works better with veteran players anyway than a roster full of young blue chips anyway.

My biggest worry is our offensive system. The high screen-and-roll offense while the other three players stand around isn't gonna cut it. We have no movement, motion, backscreens, we don't push the tempo. It's just stale and inefficient. Until we implement a better offensive system we'll continue to be underachieving.

I understand what the coaches want to do with the ball screen offense but our current backcourt tend to overdribble which does not work well for the offense.
People will laugh but I think this group would be better off running the Princeton offense.
Once you get past the name and understand that the offense emphasizes ball movement, player movement and spacing without dribbling. This offense is a better fit for our current team. Especially given the limited athletic ability of our bigs.
I am not saying drop the ball screen offense for the Princeton offense, I am saying that the Princeton offense will help teach the principles that the team is struggling to grasp with the ball screen offense.

Schools like Baylor have always relied heavily on transfers, especially JC transfers. We're like them as far as reliance on 4-year college transfers, not so much on the JC variety.

It's not lost on me that the guys involved in the infamous basketball team murder there at Baylor (victim and perp) were, I believe, JC transfers under Dave Bliss's renegade reign as HC. He rightly pointed out that making Baylor a contender required him to go after low-character JuCos. Guys he didn't necessarily want to recruit ... Scott Drew may or may not be following down that terrible path.

Exactly, Scott Drew has had a reputation for being a

This is a very good article about how Scott Drew built his roster at Baylor to become the #1 team in the nation. You have to think, if he can recruit kids to Waco, TX then Miami becoming the #1 team in the nation is more realistic than we think.

I'd be utterly ashamed if my alma mater behaved like Baylor. The fact that BU hasn't been razed to the ground is proof that religion(and so called religious morality) is a con. Bryce Drew has an awful reputation around college basketball, it's know he's a piece of crap that hasn't been busted yet. Yep, if you throw basic common decency out the window, you can do all kinds of great things. Doesn't make it right.

Miami should be getting the occasional Timberlake and Lonnie Walker and then supplementing them with kids that can be developed, from places that have kids that are responsive to our sales pitch. There's a reason why Miami has always recruited well in DC, in the northeast. Those ballers love what playing down here represents, and we've done well with those players. I'd love to see L reestablish the NC pipeline that Haith had turned into some serviceable bigs.
I

Advertisement
Back