Rooster at KR..

Our only three running backs, all on KR? No what that could end badly, right?

It's no win based on that logic - besides, it's something we've always done. Backup RBs are the norm on KORs. You can't be afraid to put your guys out there. Besides, you're only looking at maybe 1-2 returns per game based on how kickers kick off these days. You gonna put Pope out there (WR2) on both KOR and PR?

Advertisement
Have we even returned a kick this year? Pretty sure they’ve all been touchbacks

ABSOLUTELY NOT....we're one sprained ankle from him being the starting RB. The way Cam keeps getting banged up, I'm keeping Rooster/Chaney as far away from special teams as possible.

Advertisement
At this point anyone even an OL would be better than the Pope. I agree with OP Rooster would be great at it. I get we are thin at RB, but Pope can cost us a game.

Our only three running backs, all on KR? No what that could end badly, right?
season 8 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Advertisement
Great idea but too thin at RB for that
We had Dallas return kicks and punts in 2018 and he was our #1 back. K.J. returned punts and kicks last year and he was our #1 receiver. Mark has only returned 2 kicks so pretty small sample size.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, I think duke was the last hurricane to take a kickoff back so who cares. Take it at the 25 and be done with it and don’t risk a stupid injury for 5 yds of field position. If we had a hester or waddle, I might feel differently

forgot the duke lateral game...why dont we just do that every time?

We had Dallas return kicks and punts in 2018 and he was our #1 back. K.J. returned punts and kicks last year and he was our #1 receiver. Mark has only returned 2 kicks so pretty small sample size.

That’s different than being one unfortunate event away from having Cam and Chaney for the rest of the year.

Advertisement
That’s different than being one unfortunate event away from having Cam and Chaney for the rest of the year.
In 2018, it was DeeJay and Travis. Lingard was out by the middle of the year. Which means you were down to Choc and Burns. Really not different than 2018 yet DeeJay was the main guy.

At this point anyone even an OL would be better than the Pope. I agree with OP Rooster would be great at it. I get we are thin at RB, but Pope can cost us a game.

How 'bout Richard Gordon??

(j/k!) Wow...we've had some dark days in the past 15 yrs or so!?!?

Advertisement
In 2018, it was DeeJay and Travis. Lingard was out by the middle of the year. Which means you were down to Choc and Burns. Really not different than 2018 yet DeeJay was the main guy.
That may be the case but that's far from ideal. Why tempt fate.

I don't think scoring points is going to be an issue this year (if we keep them healthy).

That may be the case but that's far from ideal. Why tempt fate.

I don't think scoring points is going to be an issue this year (if we keep them healthy).
It's about touches for your most dynamic playmakers. I cannot remember the last time we've had a returner get hurt on a punt or kick. Flipping field position is a huge momentum aspect of the game.

Advertisement
Back