Ron Dugans

Mico Jones

Positivity!
Banned
I like him personally.

I like that he has the receivers blocking aggressively.

However, too many drops. One by Ahmmon and one by Berrios were because they tried to body catch the ball.

Gotta get more consistency out of our guys catching the ball.

Advertisement
I don't know if it's the routes called or quality of receivers but the WRs never truly seemed to get separation. Almost every pass to a WR vs. UNC that I recall was contested.

Advertisement
Catching the football is such a small part of wide receiver coaching at this point. There isn't some magic way of doing so at this level and while one can improve their pass catching ability somewhat, it's mostly natural ability once you learn to do so. Some guys can already be in the process of making their move post catch, others can't. Some receivers have the best hands in the world outside, but clam up when asked to catch in traffic. Bottomline, you don't fire a wide receiver coach for drops, it's all the other things they work on.

I don't know if it's the routes called or quality of receivers but the WRs never truly seemed to get separation. Almost every pass to a WR vs. UNC that I recall was contested.

Remember Richt talking about a lack of speed at the position. That has some to do with it and the defense called against what we've called is part of it as well. Just because the ball is thrown somewhere doesn't mean there weren't other receivers open either. Either way, they'll evaluate the film and go from there.

Catching the football is such a small part of wide receiver coaching at this point. There isn't some magic way of doing so at this level and while one can improve their pass catching ability somewhat, it's mostly natural ability once you learn to do so. Some guys can already be in the process of making their move post catch, others can't. Some receivers have the best hands in the world outside, but clam up when asked to catch in traffic. Bottomline, you don't fire a wide receiver coach for drops, it's all the other things they work on.

Maybe he should get a brain dump from Mark Duper. It seemed to work for Hankerson (until the NCAA kaboshed it).

Advertisement
Lets cut the BS, we all love Dugans but that cant make him immune to criticism.

Lets give him some time but there have been some aspects of our WR play that have underwhelmed so far.

I have no idea if he's a good coach, but I don't think we're really talented at WR. Coley is good, Richards will be good. And.....?

Maybe he should get a brain dump from Mark Duper. It seemed to work for Hankerson (until the NCAA kaboshed it).

Mark Super probably more than anything worked on routes and on Hankerson's head. He was a small dude who played much bigger than his physical height and ran crisp routes. He had that attitude of that's my ball and I'm going to get it. He wasn't scared to make any catch.

I don't know specifically what they worked on, but whatever it was, Hankerson was better because of it.

Nonsense. Its fundamental. They should be getting a lot of reps and taught high point, hands out on a routine basis.

Advertisement
I like him personally.

I like that he has the receivers blocking aggressively.

However, too many drops. One by Ahmmon and one by Berrios were because they tried to body catch the ball.

Gotta get more consistency out of our guys catching the ball.

Part of that was the rain and Kaaya throwing Wet bullets.

I have a question to go with all this, when I played football my Nike gloves were supposed to still work in the rain. Is that not the case with adidas? Anyone else notice ALL the receivers started taking their gloves off when it was raining? Catching with gloves is completely different than without, and combined with rain I couldn't imagine them having any ability to catch the ball in that monsoon.

Remember richt already said he is taking out the long ball because he doesn't trust the OL. This happened when Coley took over I believe it was where he didn't trust us to go deep so we ran short routes all day and the receivers completely shut out because they knew what was coming. It's a full team effort and the OL has hurt us badly.

If a kid needs to be coached on how to catch or has a weakness with his his hands he should have not been offered a UM scholarship as a WR.

Advertisement

There was space, Kaaya just either didn't throw to the guys that got free or he lead them back into traffic. Go watch all of the throws on the comeback routes. The outside shoulder is where Kaaya needs to place the ball, but literally every single attempt he made on those he led the WR right back into the DB in the middle. He's lucky he didn't throw any picks and the WRs used their bodies.

I have no idea if he's a good coach, but I don't think we're really talented at WR. Coley is good, Richards will be good. And.....?

If speed is the issue why isn't Hartley a top priority ? wtf at they waiting . Make room if we get smith too .

We have enough speed our QB sucks....Dugans is ok but he ain't all that just an average coach & recruiter....

Advertisement
Back