Romberg On Mario's Rebuilding Process

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yup. We are already into statistical outlier territory. He has a worse winning % across his first 25 games than any championship coach in the BCS+playoff era. Including Dabo, Fulmer, Mack Brown, Chizik, and Orgeron. In fact, it’s not close. Most of them won double digit games by year 2. At least 9 wins in one of the first 2 seasons. We are going to need a Hail Mary
Devils advocate to my own take... he has recruited HS talent at a level that most programs don't do outside of the first year bump class and when they win 10+ games. That's usually why they can't get over the hump. Also, he's reloaded OL and DL - usually the hardest area to get up to par to compete at that level.

I'm already skeptical but year 3 will be more telling. Less than 9 wins and I'll take the check to the bank that he'll never do anything here. There are basically 0 Manny holdovers left. His guys, his culture, his system. Some of the Manny guys left over are all starters and arguably top 10 players on the team... Restrepo, George, Rivers, Harrison-Hunte.

If there's any comparison to be made for a coach that actually ends up winning it all but also limps through his first 2 years..

There's only 1 - Dabo Swinney.... and he only did it with 2 generational, Heisman caliber, college QBs. Something I would put good money on that Mario will never have here. He's 3 years in, doesn't have one, hasn't had one, and doesn't appear to be one on the horizon. I'd be shocked if he even holds on to Nickel and he's not in the Watson or Lawrence stratosphere.

Before Dabo did it I remember Fulmer was mediocre for a couple years and ended up winning one. That's basically it back to the 90s. Beyond that.. not a ton to look forward to unless you think Mario can literally rewrite modern day football history.

Harbaugh, Smart, Saban, etc. are not even remotely comparable. I think Mario wants to be like Kirby Smart - dominate HS recruiting, win with OL and defense and not even have or need a star QB or NFL WRs.
And even with Dabo his first two full seasons (not counting 2008 bc he was interim coach) he was 15-12, still above. 500.

Advertisement
If there's any comparison to be made for a coach that actually ends up winning it all but also limps through his first 2 years..

There's only 1 - Dabo Swinney.... and he only did it with 2 generational, Heisman caliber, college QBs. Something I would put good money on that Mario will never have here. He's 3 years in, doesn't have one, hasn't had one, and doesn't appear to be one on the horizon. I'd be shocked if he even holds on to Nickel and he's not in the Watson or Lawrence stratosphere.

Before Dabo did it I remember Fulmer was mediocre for a couple years and ended up winning one. That's basically it back to the 90s. Beyond that.. not a ton to look forward to unless you think Mario can literally rewrite modern day football history.

Harbaugh, Smart, Saban, etc. are not even remotely comparable. I think Mario wants to be like Kirby Smart - dominate HS recruiting, win with OL and defense and not even have or need a star QB or NFL WRs.

Kirby Smart didn’t start winning big until he graduated his offense from Ooga Booga ball to a physical spread system.

He recruits a level or two above Dabo.

Advertisement
Devils advocate to my own take... he has recruited HS talent at a level that most programs don't do outside of the first year bump class and when they win 10+ games. That's usually why they can't get over the hump. Also, he's reloaded OL and DL - usually the hardest area to get up to par to compete at that level.

I'm already skeptical but year 3 will be more telling. Less than 9 wins and I'll take the check to the bank that he'll never do anything here. There are basically 0 Manny holdovers left. His guys, his culture, his system. Some of the Manny guys left over are all starters and arguably top 10 players on the team... Restrepo, George, Rivers, Harrison-Hunte.
💯💯💯 couldnt have said it better myself.

Advertisement
He recruits a level or two above Dabo.
Clemson's classes are lower rated because they're small. They never lose guys to attrition and take 15-20 per year.

The quality of those classes were as good or better than everyone not named Georgia/Alabama up through the 2021 class. 2022-2024 aren't at the same level.

Advertisement
Back