Romberg On Mario's Rebuilding Process

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s amazing that for the second year running, the Hecht is sending out their sunshine gestapo to make sure the message of progress is the only noise you hear.

I have a better idea.

Just call it what it is and make the necessary changes. That’s all people care about.

If there's any comparison to be made for a coach that actually ends up winning it all but also limps through his first 2 years..

There's only 1 - Dabo Swinney.... and he only did it with 2 generational, Heisman caliber, college QBs. Something I would put good money on that Mario will never have here. He's 3 years in, doesn't have one, hasn't had one, and doesn't appear to be one on the horizon. I'd be shocked if he even holds on to Nickel and he's not in the Watson or Lawrence stratosphere.

Before Dabo did it I remember Fulmer was mediocre for a couple years and ended up winning one. That's basically it back to the 90s. Beyond that.. not a ton to look forward to unless you think Mario can literally rewrite modern day football history.

Harbaugh, Smart, Saban, etc. are not even remotely comparable. I think Mario wants to be like Kirby Smart - dominate HS recruiting, win with OL and defense and not even have or need a star QB or NFL WRs.

Advertisement
He talked about Harbaugh for like 5 seconds. The rest was about comparing him to Miami coaches that have come through.

Advertisement
Pretty sure we've heard this about every coach, going all the way back to Shannon. You're not going to see Miami people publicly sh*t on one of their own.

Not asking them to publicly **** on the guy. That doesn’t help recruiting.

But I would like to see more focus on how things are being fixed, instead of just saying everything is fine but I need more time.

If there's any comparison to be made for a coach that actually ends up winning it all but also limps through his first 2 years..

There's only 1 - Dabo Swinney.... and he only did it with 2 generational, Heisman caliber, college QBs. Something I would put good money on that Mario will never have here. He's 3 years in, doesn't have one, hasn't had one, and doesn't appear to be one on the horizon. I'd be shocked if he even holds on to Nickel and he's not in the Watson or Lawrence stratosphere.

Before Dabo did it I remember Fulmer was mediocre for a couple years and ended up winning one. That's basically it back to the 90s. Beyond that.. not a ton to look forward to unless you think Mario can literally rewrite modern day football history.

Harbaugh, Smart, Saban, etc. are not even remotely comparable. I think Mario wants to be like Kirby Smart - dominate HS recruiting, win with OL and defense and not even have or need a star QB or NFL WRs.
Yup. We are already into statistical outlier territory. He has a worse winning % across his first 25 games than any championship coach in the BCS+playoff era. Including Dabo, Fulmer, Mack Brown, Chizik, and Orgeron. In fact, it’s not close. Most of them won double digit games by year 2. At least 9 wins in one of the first 2 seasons. We are going to need a Hail Mary

Advertisement
Back