Roman's breakdown (1st half)

Everything. Your post insinuates our positive defensive stats are somehow fraudulent because elite offenses beat it. My response is then, who’s doing it better?
That stat leading the nation in giving up plays of 10 yards or more includes games against UAB, Louisville and FSU. And neither of those teams are close to being elite. So his point is this defense gets gashed by the ****** teams and the elites teams all the same. Of course we get gashed more by the elite teams but we’re still giving up plenty of 10+yards plays to the below average teams.

Advertisement
Everything. Your post insinuates our positive defensive stats are somehow fraudulent because elite offenses beat it. My response is then, who’s doing it better?
Actually it has thing to do what I said at all, Considering we are 3-1 and havent played Clemson 4 times your point is stupid. Louisville is not an elite team and had their way with us so your point is mute. Your basically saying, because elite teams are getting scored on UM Shouldn't fix there deficiency on defense, which allow teams like Lousiville to have a great night on offense. I mean GT defense played better against Lousiville than we did.

When I seen that OL just stay in their stance and our DL having no sense of awareness of KNOWING THAT WAS A SCREEN, I knew it was over.
That's on the weak-side defensive end and the linebackers. The DTs and strongside DE are too deep in the backfield at that point to switch out- you go for Lawrence at that point. But the other DE and linebackers need to see the screen coming and adjust to cover it or break it up. They did neither and got roasted.

Regarding our offense - Roman nails the key point here; Clemson had ZERO fear of our wide receivers. None. They were able to stack the box, double team our TEs and spy King while leaving their DBs in man coverage all night. Insane to think we're at a point where teams are daring us to throw the ball on them and we don't have the speed/strength to deal with man coverage. NOTE - most of Clemson's DBs are freshmen or sophomores and they OWNED our junior/senior receivers all night.

Advertisement
Regarding our offense - Roman nails the key point here; Clemson had ZERO fear of our wide receivers. None. They were able to stack the box, double team our TEs and spy King while leaving their DBs in man coverage all night. Insane to think we're at a point where teams are daring us to throw the ball on them and we don't have the speed/strength to deal with man coverage. NOTE - most of Clemson's DBs are freshmen or sophomores and they OWNED our junior/senior receivers all night.
The worst part is nothing was done to counter it. Moving the TEs in different looks and formations, using them as decoys...nothing. We just continued to play into what they wanted. Now every team has a blueprint. If you can man up on our average WRs you win.

Exactly. Show me a team shutting down TL. Not happening.
Well, last year alone
TeamPointsYards
Texas A & M24389
UNC21331
USCe38527
OSU29417
LSU25396

Last Night
TeamPointsYards
UM42550

This is not to minimize Trevor Lawrence or Clemson. Nor to compare us to LSU or OSU. But other teams have kept them below their season average giving themselves a chance.

Last edited:
When I seen that OL just stay in their stance and our DL having no sense of awareness of KNOWING THAT WAS A SCREEN, I knew it was over.
This.

Clemson’s D was dialed in to take away everything Lashlee wanted to do.

Miami’s D had absolutely no awareness of what was going on every time Clemson ran a screen. Not to mention having no plan to deal with Etienne until the game was almost out of reach.

Inexcusable. Total coaching fail with two weeks to prepare.

Advertisement
That screen pass on 3rd and 14 was all Jennings. If he keeps running he forces the play back inside for maybe 6 yards. He stops and gets reached and that was it. How you keep trotting players out after mistakes like that is baffling

yep. We keep doing it. He’s too slow. if Brooks is in the same position he makes the stop or makes sure they don’t get a first down. STOP PLAYING GUYS BASED ON SENIORITY...cot dammit

That screen pass on 3rd and 14 was all Jennings. If he keeps running he forces the play back inside for maybe 6 yards. He stops and gets reached and that was it. How you keep trotting players out after mistakes like that is baffling

After 5 seasons of this hodgepodge scheme I think it’s clear that there is zero emphasis or force/fill concepts. It’s literally just run through the gap as fast as you can and that’s it. It’s not just one player, it’s every player every season for years now.

Clemson went after our linebackers all game
They threw the ball downfield like 3 times the entire game. Twice to ladson I believe. He dropped one. Then a wheel route to ETN. Their tight ends gashed is for three touchdowns. ETN had 2. Lawrence ran one. They involved the linebackers for 95% of their play calls. And it worked. The throws they had Lawrence making could have been accomplished by anyone. He did nothing overly special against us besides a couple broken plays. It’s a joke.

Advertisement
That's on the weak-side defensive end and the linebackers. The DTs and strongside DE are too deep in the backfield at that point to switch out- you go for Lawrence at that point. But the other DE and linebackers need to see the screen coming and adjust to cover it or break it up. They did neither and got roasted.

Laid out gameplan clemson would run days before game, and I am just bored dude who watched games on youtube. wtf were these guys doing on bye week?!

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/podcast-to-be-the-man-ft-d-and-lucane.164147/post-4893682
Venables blitzed Burrow with 5 and 6 man pressures, he will test our oline and bring heat early to see how we react, can we handle it, can we execute. They run that type of stuff better than most teams, his scheme has been top notch the last few years, thing is personnel turnover, hopefully its worse than most think.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/getting-home-clemson-hot-coverage-blitz-nfl-innovation

Venables and Dabo made it clear that Brevin is weapon and leading wr, they havent mentioned a single wr and for good reason as nobody respects those guys outside of cis homer types, they have to prove themselves on the field and they drop open passes nevertheless 50/50 passes that you need to make in a game like this. LSU was strugglin until Jamar Chase beat one on one coverage repeatedly over the top.

Etienne is a monster, like if Bush/Cook/Harvin came back for their senior year to abuse college kids, they will get him the ball on delayed draws, screens, swing passes, jet sweep to screens, in slot to screen, wheel routes, etc. They want to get him ball in space, just need to be aware of where he is at all times. Amari Rodgers looks like he is back to form off injury, cant underestimate him also, dude is a weapon, think people downgrade him because he played off acl injury last year during spring

Last edited:
@ 6:45 the play where Jennings effs up. It’s not so much that he didn’t have the angle or foot speed. He just forgot his leverage responsibility. You see him first go to spill, and then try to force. This is a problem we have with our players over and over and over and over.

If you are going to run a complicated front, detached from the coverage, you better be the best teachers in the world or you will get kids playing slower and wrong arming all game. It’s a consistent theme here with Diaz. You can get away with it when u play Duke and Wake and bum *** FSU bc your talent will just compensate for the lack of fundamentals.

Against Clemson, LSU, Wisky, etc....you get this. Manny has to give up this system.

"If you are going to run a complicated front, detached from the coverage, you better be the best teachers in the world or you will get kids playing slower and wrong arming all game."

This right here! This is the crux of our problems defensively. What makes it so facking infuriating is that it's completely unnecessary. I noticed it over and over all game especially on 3rd and long. I thought that Baker would improve and tweek his scheme to adjust and attempt to fix the schematic issues but I was wrong. This clown does the same thing over and over. Baker is cheeks. He is holding this defense back from its true potential and thst ****es me off to no end.

Advertisement
"If you are going to run a complicated front, detached from the coverage, you better be the best teachers in the world or you will get kids playing slower and wrong arming all game."

This right here! This is the crux of our problems defensively. What makes it so facking infuriating is that it's completely unnecessary. I noticed it over and over all game especially on 3rd and long. I thought that Baker would improve and tweek his scheme to adjust and attempt to fix the schematic issues but I was wrong. This clown does the same thing over and over. Baker is cheeks. He is holding this defense back from its true potential and thst ****es me off to no end.
Its manny scheme with a bunch of yes men on that side of the ball..

But some people on here are cool with that becuase we have a lot of tackle for loss or sacks, "its feast or famine dude, that's how our scheme is". Well that scheme is absolute trash especially when playing against teams like Clemson, who have elite talent and coaching.
I’ve always said it. Diaz defense is good for the middle of the pack teams but it will never be a defense where we will dominate a top 10 team.

Can you share an example of a team that's shutting down elite talent and coaching?
I get where you're coming from but the serious issue here is this has been the case vs every P5 team we have played so far this year. It's an alarming trend.

As far as us going against Clemson and other elite teams I realize that we still have a ways to go and I wasn't particularly surprised by the game Saturday. The reality of our situation is that this squad is coming off of 7-6 and 6-7 type seasons. I expected noticeable improvement this year with Lashlee and the offense but I hardly expected to close the gap between us and Clemson. The crucial thing here is how this team responds going forward.

Advertisement
Back