Rodney Miller

If you double those numbers then Rodney is averaging 10 points, 6 rebounds and 1 block per game. Nysier Brooks averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds last season at Cincinnati.

Sit one and play one for Brooks is bad unless Brooks gets the waiver to play this season. Then he and Miller will compete for the starting 5 spot.

I said Brooks and Miller are on par. Thanks for supporting my case.

The waiver has nothing to do with the initial comment, Brooks and Miller are on par.

A few things:

1. That is a tremendous “if”. Possibly the biggest "if". Rodney isn’t/hasn’t averaged those numbers. He isn't close.

2. Rodney and Nysier were both born in December, 1996. They're both 22 YOs. They both are turning 23 during this season. One player actually improved and during his third season, his production shot up tremendously. The other player hardly played and redshirted his third season (not due to injury either).

3. Nysier had much better than the numbers I indicated above and those were in ~25 MPG. There is no reason to think his numbers won't continue to improve.

4. You still haven’t proven Miller is on par because Miller hasn’t done chit. Rodney has actually done something. So again, how are they on par?

Here is Rodney's tenure:

2018-19
Redshirt season

As a Sophomore (2017-18)
Played in 15 games off bench, including seven in ACC play ... Averaged 1.1 points and 0.5 rebounds per game ... Scored four points in five minutes of action against Navy (11/12) ... Played season-high six minutes against Middle Tennessee (12/25) ... Scored two points and matched career high with three rebounds at Virginia Tech (2/3) ... Recorded three points in five minutes of action in ACC tournament against North Carolina (3/8).

As a Freshman (2016-17)
Miller 2016-17 game-by-game stats Get Acrobat Reader

Played 15 games ... Averaged 0.9 points, 0.6 rebounds, 0.1 blocks in 3.8 minutes per game ... Totaled 14 points, nine rebounds and one block in 57 minutes ... Hit 45.5 percent (5-11) from the field, and 44.4 percent (4-9) at the line ... Season highs: 5 points vs. Western Carolina, 11/11; 3 rebounds at North Florida, 11/16; 1 blocked shot vs. NC State, 12/31; 11 minutes at North Florida, 11/16 ... Played in six ACC games ... In ACC play totaled one point in 10 minutes.

Here is Nysier's tenure:

2018-19 Season (Junior): Started all 35 games, averaging 8.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 22.9 minutes … ranked among the AAC leaders in blocks (third at 1.5), offensive rebounds (fourth at 2.7) and rebounds (11th at 6.3) … posted three double-doubles … grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds against SMU (2/27) and Memphis (3/2) … matched a career-high with five blocks against Wichita State (2/17) … matched a career-high scoring 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting against UConn (1/12) … scored a team-high 13 points to go with a game-high nine rebounds against Wichita State (3/16) in the semifinals of the AAC Tournament … scored 17 points on 5-of-8 shooting from the field and 7-of-8 shooting from the free throw line with eight rebounds against South Carolina State (12/22) … tallied 16 points on 6-of-8 shooting with six rebounds and two blocks against Houston (3/10) … led the Bearcats in rebounds in 15 games … recorded at least two blocks in 17 games … named to the Bearcats Academic Honor Roll and Dean’s List during the 2019 spring semester.

2017-18 Season (Sophomore): Started two of 35 games played, averaging 2.6 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.6 blocks in 9.7 minutes … scored a season-high nine points on 3-of-3 shooting from the field in 13 minutes against Alabama State (11/27) … netted eight points on 4-of-5 shooting with two rebounds, a block and a steal in 12 minutes against Cleveland State (12/21) … tallied eight points with five rebounds in 11 minutes against ECU (1/20) … made his first collegiate start, pulling down a season-best eight rebounds with four points and two assists in 12 minutes against Western Carolina (11/13) … grabbed a team-high seven rebounds at Temple (1/4) … blocked two shots each at No. 21 Xavier (12/2), at USF (1/13) and at Wichita State (3/4) … pulled down three or more rebounds in 11 games … recorded at least one block in 10 conference games … named to the Bearcats Academic Honor Roll during the 2017 fall semester.

2016-17 Season (Freshman): Played in 33 games as a reserve, averaging 2.4 points, 1.6 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 8.5 minutes … scored 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting with four rebounds and three blocks against Samford (11/23) … tallied eight points in a season-high 16 minutes against USF (1/29) … grabbed a season-high five rebounds at UConn (3/5) … recorded a season-best five blocks with four rebounds at East Carolina (1/15) … had eight points with three rebounds against Fairleigh ****inson (12/17) … earned the Legion of Excellence award for the highest grade-point average on the men’s basketball team … named the Bearcats Academic Honor Roll and Dean’s List during the spring 2017 semester.

Advertisement
The waiver has nothing to do with the initial comment, Brooks and Miller are on par.

A few things:

1. That is a tremendous “if”. Possibly the biggest "if". Rodney isn’t/hasn’t averaged those numbers. He isn't close.

2. Rodney and Nysier were both born in December, 1996. They're both 22 YOs. They both are turning 23 during this season. One player actually improved and during his third season, his production shot up tremendously. The other player hardly played and redshirted his third season (not due to injury either).

3. Nysier had much better than the numbers I indicated above and those were in ~25 MPG. There is no reason to think his numbers won't continue to improve.

4. You still haven’t proven Miller is on par because Miller hasn’t done chit. Rodney has actually done something. So again, how are they on par?

Here is Rodney's tenure:

2018-19
Redshirt season

As a Sophomore (2017-18)
Played in 15 games off bench, including seven in ACC play ... Averaged 1.1 points and 0.5 rebounds per game ... Scored four points in five minutes of action against Navy (11/12) ... Played season-high six minutes against Middle Tennessee (12/25) ... Scored two points and matched career high with three rebounds at Virginia Tech (2/3) ... Recorded three points in five minutes of action in ACC tournament against North Carolina (3/8).

As a Freshman (2016-17)
Miller 2016-17 game-by-game stats Get Acrobat Reader

Played 15 games ... Averaged 0.9 points, 0.6 rebounds, 0.1 blocks in 3.8 minutes per game ... Totaled 14 points, nine rebounds and one block in 57 minutes ... Hit 45.5 percent (5-11) from the field, and 44.4 percent (4-9) at the line ... Season highs: 5 points vs. Western Carolina, 11/11; 3 rebounds at North Florida, 11/16; 1 blocked shot vs. NC State, 12/31; 11 minutes at North Florida, 11/16 ... Played in six ACC games ... In ACC play totaled one point in 10 minutes.

Here is Nysier's tenure:

2018-19 Season (Junior): Started all 35 games, averaging 8.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 22.9 minutes … ranked among the AAC leaders in blocks (third at 1.5), offensive rebounds (fourth at 2.7) and rebounds (11th at 6.3) … posted three double-doubles … grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds against SMU (2/27) and Memphis (3/2) … matched a career-high with five blocks against Wichita State (2/17) … matched a career-high scoring 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting against UConn (1/12) … scored a team-high 13 points to go with a game-high nine rebounds against Wichita State (3/16) in the semifinals of the AAC Tournament … scored 17 points on 5-of-8 shooting from the field and 7-of-8 shooting from the free throw line with eight rebounds against South Carolina State (12/22) … tallied 16 points on 6-of-8 shooting with six rebounds and two blocks against Houston (3/10) … led the Bearcats in rebounds in 15 games … recorded at least two blocks in 17 games … named to the Bearcats Academic Honor Roll and Dean’s List during the 2019 spring semester.

2017-18 Season (Sophomore): Started two of 35 games played, averaging 2.6 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.6 blocks in 9.7 minutes … scored a season-high nine points on 3-of-3 shooting from the field in 13 minutes against Alabama State (11/27) … netted eight points on 4-of-5 shooting with two rebounds, a block and a steal in 12 minutes against Cleveland State (12/21) … tallied eight points with five rebounds in 11 minutes against ECU (1/20) … made his first collegiate start, pulling down a season-best eight rebounds with four points and two assists in 12 minutes against Western Carolina (11/13) … grabbed a team-high seven rebounds at Temple (1/4) … blocked two shots each at No. 21 Xavier (12/2), at USF (1/13) and at Wichita State (3/4) … pulled down three or more rebounds in 11 games … recorded at least one block in 10 conference games … named to the Bearcats Academic Honor Roll during the 2017 fall semester.

2016-17 Season (Freshman): Played in 33 games as a reserve, averaging 2.4 points, 1.6 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 8.5 minutes … scored 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting with four rebounds and three blocks against Samford (11/23) … tallied eight points in a season-high 16 minutes against USF (1/29) … grabbed a season-high five rebounds at UConn (3/5) … recorded a season-best five blocks with four rebounds at East Carolina (1/15) … had eight points with three rebounds against Fairleigh ****inson (12/17) … earned the Legion of Excellence award for the highest grade-point average on the men’s basketball team … named the Bearcats Academic Honor Roll and Dean’s List during the spring 2017 semester.

That is a tremendous amount of work and I appreciate your efforts. The only difference in Rodney and Nysier is the opportunity to play. Nysier has played significant minutes while Rodney has not. IMO.

I did learn however they Nysier has made the Academic Honor Roll and Dean's List 3 years in a row so he could be a grad transfer if he were to take a few classes in the summer or he may get that waiver to prevent sitting out this season.

That was the most beneficial information you provided.

The only difference in Rodney and Nysier is the opportunity to play. Nysier has played significant minutes while Rodney has not. IMO.

1. You're making a tremendous assumption. That if Rodney is given more burn then his numbers will be as good as Nysier. Based on what you've seen, can Rodney actually play 20 MPG? Even if given the opportunity, have you seen any quality burn from him during his tenure.

2. This is why they're NOT on par. One has actually proven himself to be a quality starter. That player over his career improved, tremendously. The other has done NOTHING and was so bad/out-of-shape/not ready that the staff decided to redshirt him (not due to injury) his junior season.

So again, how are they on par?

You pretty much just reaffirmed my point with numbers...don’t know or care about his supporters at the moment, because he hasn’t done anything to warrant that yet IMO.

Doubters? Where are his supporters? Does anyone think he can average (more than) the following:

MPG: 15
PPG: 5
RPG: 3
BPG: .5

Those aren't even good numbers. Those are backup numbers.

So who thinks Rodney will put up better than that this season?

You pretty much just reaffirmed my point with numbers...don’t know or care about his supporters at the moment, because he hasn’t done anything to warrant that yet IMO.

My point is I don’t think there is really anyone out there that truly thinks he is going to put up solid numbers.

Advertisement
The guys going after Consigliere have never watched basketball before. Rodney Miller has proven 2 things at Miami.

1. He has not been in shape in the 3 years he has been at school and that is why he was told to redshirt. Guy needed to work on his conditioning and should have had the discipline to do that during the off season and not waste a scholarship year.
2. He can’t make a free throw.

Anyone who thinks he is in the same stratosphere as brooks has never watched basketball. brooks has shown how he can play in a top conference and can play well. Is he Tim Duncan? Not even close. But I’ll take my chances with him redshirting this year and getting coached up by coach L and seeing what he can do next year.

If you look at Rodney Miller, even in high school its pretty easy to notice that he's not a good athlete. Seems kind of slow, weak and uncoordinated. Nifty enough around the basket to dominate smaller players. Can score a little going to the rim. I would never have put him on a high level DI squad based on this film. He's more Valdosta st type. But he's playing in the ACC.

You don't have to super athletic to be effective ACC but you have to be something. Quick, a good shooter, rebounder, hustle. I don't know what to expect. I know that Rodney Miller will be in the best shape of his life and as skilled as he's ever been. Setting his bar super low 2.2ppg and 2rbs.

I'm not sure he even plays every game this year with the 3 bigs, 4 if you count Sam, we already have.

That is a tremendous amount of work and I appreciate your efforts. The only difference in Rodney and Nysier is the opportunity to play. Nysier has played significant minutes while Rodney has not. IMO.
Ever consider that the reason Rodney has NOT played (and had the "opportunity"as you put it), is that he CAN'T play? I mean, we have been WEAK up front. The fact that he got no chance for minutes pretty much tells you everything!

Advertisement
Watch several of his high school games and it seemed like he averaged around 10 minutes a game,not much of a game just tall.

Ever consider that the reason Rodney has NOT played (and had the "opportunity"as you put it), is that he CAN'T play? I mean, we have been WEAK up front. The fact that he got no chance for minutes pretty much tells you everything!

Yes his struggles have definitely impacted his lack of minutes.

But we haven't been all that weak up front since he's been here. This year we were, obviously, but the decision not to play him was made when our front court was expected to be a strength. We've had Murphy, Izundu, Huell, and Amp (as a stretch 4) in front of him during his time here.

He has good touch around the rim, is 7 feet tall, and will be 22 years old. It's not unrealistic to expect him to be like a 6 and 4 guy this year. L has proven he can develop guys. Plus this is college basketball. The quality of play just isn't very high. In his 4th year, he should be able to give us some decent minutes.

But we haven't been all that weak up front since he's been here. This year we were, obviously, but the decision not to play him was made when our front court was expected to be a strength. We've had Murphy, Izundu, Huell, and Amp (as a stretch 4) in front of him during his time here.

He has good touch around the rim, is 7 feet tall, and will be 22 years old. It's not unrealistic to expect him to be like a 6 and 4 guy this year. L has proven he can develop guys. Plus this is college basketball. The quality of play just isn't very high. In his 4th year, he should be able to give us some decent minutes.
What does that say about us?

Advertisement

Many, including me, would argue that. We've had very average frontcourt players (I didn't consider Amp an inside presence), at best.

Reggie Johnson and Julian Gamble were awful athletes. Both contributed greatly as upperclassman. No reason to doubt Reggie couldn’t muster up half their production.

I have now spent considerably more minutes reading about Hot Rod Miller on this message board than I've spent watching him play basketball, cumulatively, in 4 years.

Rodney Miller is not a good basketball player. There is no reason to believe he ever will be.

Advertisement
You don't have to read my post, that is fine. But what do you expect from Miller next season?

Can you fill in the blanks:

MPG: _______
PPG: ______
RPG: _______
BPG: ________

Reggie Johnson and Julian Gamble were awful athletes. Both contributed greatly as upperclassman.

Reggie and Julian weren't great athletes, nobody would disagree. But...

1. Reggie was averaging 6 PPG and 5 RPG his first season of playing basketball here. He then averaged 12 and 10 after that (next season).

2. Julian didn't do much his first 3 seasons here. With that said, he played more and better than Rodney during that time, see the data below.

3. Just because Rodney (is also) an awful athlete doesn't mean he will have success later down the line. He could have success but it doesn't mean he will.

4. Reggie and Julian received some of the worst coaching before Coach L. Rodney has consistently received QUALITY coaching. With that said, Reggie and Julian actually improved from when they arrived to the end of their 3rd season. Rodney didn't materially improve (based on data) and actually sat his 3rd season.

No reason to doubt Reggie couldn’t muster up half their production.

I think you mean Rodney. (Assuming you meant Rodney) A player does nothing during his first three seasons here. In fact, he is so bad/out-of-shape/not ready his 3rd season, they redshirt him. So you think Rodney can then muster half their production? Based on what?

- Rodney played in 30 games during his first 3 seasons here. During those 30 games he averaged 3.6 MPG.
- Johnson played in 68 games (started 40 games) during his first 3 seasons here. He averaged 13.6 MPG his first season (of actual play) and 26.0 MPG during his second season.
- Gamble played in 57 games (started 11 games) during his first 3 seasons here. He averaged 7.5 MPG his first season (of actual play) and 13.3 MPG during his season season.

Reggie Johnson's Actual Stats: https://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4218
Julian Gamble's Actual Stats: https://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4215
Rodney Miller's Actual Stats: https://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=12534

Rodney was given a scholarship to Miami so someone on our coaching staff saw something in him to made them think he could contribute to the basket ball team.

What level of the contribution is the key?

Rodney was given a scholarship to Miami so someone on our coaching staff saw something in him to made them think he could contribute to the basket ball team.

What level of the contribution is the key?

Can you let me know Rodney’s stats from his senior year of HS?

All I am saying is that Rodney Miller has not played enough for me to totally know what he can do. In fairness, Coach L let Manu Leconte and James Palmer sit on the bench then they left to become pretty good players at Baylor and Nebraska.

I am not saying Rodney will be all conference, I am saying Coach L needs to play the kid to get a contribution out of him.

Rodney sat the bench for two years when he arrived at Miami as a project and our coaches have not developed his strength, conditioning nor his skillset.
Manu started mostly at the 2, he wanted to play PG more and left because Angel transferred in and didn't think he could beat him out
Palmer played decent minutes but was highly inconsistent which would land him on the bench at times, we had Sheldon come in and that scared off Palmer. Can't play everyone 40 minutes.

Advertisement
Back