Roche

2 Quick points.

Tulane may be an AAC opponent but they're better than at least half the teams we played last season. They run a very QB-run heavy offense so this is probably not the best film to use to highlight pass rush moves. The end/olb has more containment responsibilities against an offense like that, so he doesn't get to pin his ears back as much.

Roche does have a good combination of natural ability and technique. He's got that natural "bend" coming around the corner that all great pass rushers have but he's more than a one trick pony. He uses his hands well and despite being undersized plays with great leverage. He gets his hands into the opposing tackle's chest and shoves a man that probably outweighs him by 80 pounds backwards relatively easily.
I was surprised he was able to rush even as much as he did but agree burst would be better looking for in a game against a less mobile QB. His strength at his size surprises me though I think he might have pretty long arms for his size and he does a good job setting the lineman up

Advertisement
I feel the same way ...I'm not that high on Roche like others. There are some guys on here I respect when it comes to layers and they like Roche.....for me I don't see it. But there is a chance I'm wrong and hope I am. Hills tape had way more explosiveness and speed
I never really saw the explosiveness and speed you talk about with Hill and I’d say his combine numbers back it up. Hill’s “explosiveness” was just him snap guessing it’s not that he had all that great of a burst or quickness. He was quite sluggish a lot of the time. He did have very nice bend though

2 Quick points.

Tulane may be an AAC opponent but they're better than at least half the teams we played last season. They run a very QB-run heavy offense so this is probably not the best film to use to highlight pass rush moves. The end/olb has more containment responsibilities against an offense like that, so he doesn't get to pin his ears back as much.

Roche does have a good combination of natural ability and technique. He's got that natural "bend" coming around the corner that all great pass rushers have but he's more than a one trick pony. He uses his hands well and despite being undersized plays with great leverage. He gets his hands into the opposing tackle's chest and shoves a man that probably outweighs him by 80 pounds backwards relatively easily.

Your point about Tulane running a run heavy offense and how this isn't the best Offense to evaluate him on..... you hit the nail on the head.

Our fans are funny. Roche is going to absolutely eat this season, especially in this D.

DE room is elite and will show it on the field this year.

Advertisement
Your point about Tulane running a run heavy offense and how this isn't the best Offense to evaluate him on..... you hit the nail on the head.
It’s a ton of triple option stuff. Like trying to judge a pass rusher against Georgia tech

I never really saw the explosiveness and speed you talk about with Hill and I’d say his combine numbers back it up. Hill’s “explosiveness” was just him snap guessing it’s not that he had all that great of a burst or quickness. He was quite sluggish a lot of the time. He did have very nice bend though
probably right about the timing, if u got hands on him he basically couldnt go anywhere. It was speed rush and thats it

probably right about the timing, if u got hands on him he basically couldnt go anywhere. It was speed rush and thats it
He was really disappointing for me. Definitely didn't come in the best shape and got a lot better as the year went on but didn't really develop too much since VT and maybe regressed tbh which was disappointing

Don’t get cute on 3rd down. Let our DEs wear down opposing Tackles. Develop a DT and allow them to push the pocket on 3rd. Force a collapse instead of getting cute and giving up chunk plays.

Anybody hearing that they’re gonna start dropping Rousseau back to cover the flat in obvious passing downs like they did with Garvin last season? Because that would be cool.

Advertisement
Just don’t see how you think he doesn’t have a pass rush plan thought you were talking about Rousseau there. Definitely not a problem I saw with him
There's times during those cut ups that he just runs and "pushed the sled" as a DL you always need to have a move in mind. If it's going to be bullrush go all in with it.

OK, I'm not crazy. Roche isn't that good lol. He's standing around half the time in the OP video. He's also small. A 320 pound tackle will eat his lunch. Upgrade against the run?? Garvin was exceptional vs the run. We'll see if Roche even comes close to his TFL numbers.

As of right now, Roche is 4th on my DE depth chart due to his lack of running stuffing ability. Although, he's the second best pass rusher on our team.

There's a lot going against Roche. I'm rooting for him, but don't act like he has a clear path to take over the Dline and be an AA

He already is. This from Temple Owl Football website.

All three were named to more than one team with Roche earning the most recognition. The redshirt junior was voted first team by Sports Illustrated, and earned second team honors from Sporting News, USA Today and Pro Football Focus. Roche was named the Defensive Player of the Year by both the American Athletic Conference (AAC) and Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC).

He was really disappointing for me. Definitely didn't come in the best shape and got a lot better as the year went on but didn't really develop too much since VT and maybe regressed tbh which was disappointing
I was completely shocked that he did absolutely nothing. That was coaching

Advertisement
I was completely shocked that he did absolutely nothing. That was coaching
His production was definitely equivalent to what he did at Virginia Tech in regards to TFL and sacks for a full season. The difference being at Miami he platooned more and got less snaps. The kid made his chops in one game really against FSU.

He already is. This from Temple Owl Football website.

All three were named to more than one team with Roche earning the most recognition. The redshirt junior was voted first team by Sports Illustrated, and earned second team honors from Sporting News, USA Today and Pro Football Focus. Roche was named the Defensive Player of the Year by both the American Athletic Conference (AAC) and Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC).

That's some good research.

But I take those with a grain of salt. Maybe not the PFF reference, that's big.

Advertisement
He’s 1 out of 3 first-rounders in the new PFF mock draft:

4. MIAMI DOLPHINS — EDGE GREG ROUSSEAU, MIAMI (FL)
Rousseau has almost comical physical tools — it’s as if someone built the ideal edge defender body and then said “more.” He’s listed at 6-foot-7 and 253 pounds with long arms, and he racked up 16 sacks as a redshirt freshman last season. The Miami defensive end still has a ways to go technically, though, as his 76.2 overall grade didn’t quite match that sack total

24. DALLAS COWBOYS — TE BREVIN JORDAN, MIAMI (FL)
Jordan looks next in the long line of Miami tight ends. As a true freshman, he caught 32 balls for 287 yards and broke seven tackles along the way. He followed that up with 35 catches for 495 yards and five broken tackles last year. He has the speed to be a real downfield threat at the position.

29. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS — EDGE QUINCY ROCHE, MIAMI (FL)
You’ll probably know him as the other Miami edge defender this fall. Roche transferred in from Temple where he was pretty much unblockable for the Owls in 2019. His 68 pressures are the most of any returning player in the country, as is his 93.3 pass-rushing grade. He needs to add some muscle to his frame, but he has the pass-rushing moves down pat.

Ok so when someone doesn't do well its coaching. When they do well its athleticism and you don't coach them. Got it (y)
If your good your good.....do schemes matte? Yes
But u are what u are some DB coach at bama ain't teaching something that Mike Rumph doesn't know. That DB coach at bama though has the studs to make him look good. Corey Raymond is good cause of the players he gets....he ain't teaching them earth shattering ****.

Advertisement
Back