Roberts turns in big performance at Rivals Miami, talks Canes afterwards

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Columbus 3-star DE Elijah Roberts participated at the Rivals 3 Stripe Miami camp on Sunday and turned in a top-notch outing, just missing out on the DL MVP to 2021 Miami DE commit Donell Harris.

“I think I had a pretty solid performance, it went good overall,” Roberts said of his play. “There was a lot of competition, most of the offensive linemen were really good. I learned a few new drills and how to get coached up better.”

The event took on a little more buzz when Miami head coach Manny Diaz showed up about an hour into the proceedings. Diaz was in the stands to watch his son play, and although he couldn’t do any recruiting due to NCAA rules, had a roster in hand and was intently evaluating players.

“Yeah I saw him out here, gave him a nod,” Roberts said of Diaz. “We have a good relationship, he’ll text me and say that I have a spot there at the U waiting for me and that I’m a top priority for them.”

Many remember the 6’3”, 240 pound prospect as a former Miami commitment. Although Roberts left UM’s list of pledges back in October, he has kept in steady contact with the staff and has been a frequent visitor in Coral Gables, most recently making the trip for UM’s Junior Day in early February.

“Everything is good with them, I’m planning on visiting again soon,” Roberts said of Miami. “I’m not sure when, but I’ll definitely be back.”

With his sturdy body type, it is plausible that Roberts could develop into a defensive tackle even though he mostly plays end right now. So, is Miami recruiting him on the outside or the inside?

“I talked to (D-Line coach) Jess Simpson, he hasn’t really told me where I would play, inside or outside,” Roberts said. “So I’d say I’m being recruited as a hybrid that can play both. I’ll play whatever they ask for me to play.”

When asked what about Miami most attracts him to UM, Roberts says that it’s Simpson in particular that has him intrigued on spending his next four years in Coral Gables.

“I’d probably say the coaching staff, I love the coaching staff,” Roberts said. “I especially like coach Simpson, the way he coaches is very intense and very aggressive and I believe that’s a great way to coach.”

It’s clear Roberts’ family will have a big impact in his decision, and he will ask for their input when planning future visits.

“I don’t have anything planned to other schools,” Roberts said of his visit schedule. “I have to sit down and talk to my parents first and then I’ll see.”

Aside from the Hurricanes, Roberts says schools like Florida State, Michigan, and Penn State are those that are coming after him the hardest. When speaking on his commitment timetable, Roberts feels he will likely be ready to make an announcement over the summer, although he wants to take his 5 visits first before coming to any decision.

“Ideally, I would like to make that decision in the summer, but I’ll see what happens,” Roberts said. “I’m going to take my 5 visits, sit down and figure it out.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
2020 Columbus 3-star DE Elijah Roberts participated at the Rivals 3 Stripe Miami camp on Sunday and turned in a top-notch outing, just missing out on the DL MVP to 2021 Miami DE commit Donell Harris.

“I think I had a pretty solid performance, it went good overall,” Roberts said of his play. “There was a lot of competition, most of the offensive linemen were really good. I learned a few new drills and how to get coached up better.”

The event took on a little more buzz when Miami head coach Manny Diaz showed up about an hour into the proceedings. Diaz was in the stands to watch his son play, and although he couldn’t do any recruiting due to NCAA rules, had a roster in hand and was intently evaluating players.

“Yeah I saw him out here, gave him a nod,” Roberts said of Diaz. “We have a good relationship, he’ll text me and say that I have a spot there at the U waiting for me and that I’m a top priority for them.”

Many remember the 6’3”, 240 pound prospect as a former Miami commitment. Although Roberts left UM’s list of pledges back in October, he has kept in steady contact with the staff and has been a frequent visitor in Coral Gables, most recently making the trip for UM’s Junior Day in early February.

“Everything is good with them, I’m planning on visiting again soon,” Roberts said of Miami. “I’m not sure when, but I’ll definitely be back.”

With his sturdy body type, it is plausible that Roberts could develop into a defensive tackle even though he mostly plays end right now. So, is Miami recruiting him on the outside or the inside?

“I talked to (D-Line coach) Jess Simpson, he hasn’t really told me where I would play, inside or outside,” Roberts said. “So I’d say I’m being recruited as a hybrid that can play both. I’ll play whatever they ask for me to play.”

When asked what about Miami most attracts him to UM, Roberts says that it’s Simpson in particular that has him intrigued on spending his next four years in Coral Gables.

“I’d probably say the coaching staff, I love the coaching staff,” Roberts said. “I especially like coach Simpson, the way he coaches is very intense and very aggressive and I believe that’s a great way to coach.”

Roberts’ mother is a Canes fan and the pass rusher admits that she would like him to stay home for school at Miami. Diaz actually briefly spoke with Robert’s mother in the stands at the event and they exchanged pleasantries. It’s clear Roberts’ family will have a big impact in his decision, and he will ask for their input when planning future visits.

“I don’t have anything planned to other schools,” Roberts said of his visit schedule. “I have to sit down and talk to my parents first and then I’ll see.”

Aside from the Hurricanes, Roberts says schools like Florida State, Michigan, and Penn State are those that are coming after him the hardest. When speaking on his commitment timetable, Roberts feels he will likely be ready to make an announcement over the summer, although he wants to take his 5 visits first before coming to any decision.

“Ideally, I would like to make that decision in the summer, but I’ll see what happens,” Roberts said. “I’m going to take my 5 visits, sit down and figure it out.”

Thank you once again Stefan! Do you think he will be a lock with us?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Burns may be a good DT down the road, but I'm not as gitty about his vid as some.
The positives are: 1- He has great arm length, 2- He's good at cutting off the angles of the runner and 3- He has room to stack on good weight!

Now the negatives are: 1- He is slow getting off the ball, 2- He's not a twitchy player or lacks moves, 3- Doesnt get low enough coming of the edge and 4- He probably runs the 40 somewhere in the 4.9. meaning he will play DT after putting on the weight.

JMO!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back