Rob Chudzinski

Southcane

Senior
This is by no means saying he should be a top candidate, but can someone explain to me why most here are down on Chud? Yes he doesn't have experience as a head coach but he is well respected as an offensive mind in the NFL. When he was the OC between 2000-2003 at Miami, the Canes offense set school records for points, total yards and rushing touchdowns. During his tenure at the University of Miami he coached three All-American tight ends: Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey, and Kellen Winslow II. He has coached both Winslow (Cleveland Browns) and Shockey (Carolina Panthers) in the NFL as well. He developed Gates into a future hall of fame TE when he coached him at SD Chargers.

Many successful college coaches, some the fans here love, started as very successful OC's in college.

Although he doesn't have head coaching experience, he has plenty of experience as an assistant in the NFL and very well liked. He never had a real chance to prove himself. One season as a HC at the Cleveland Browns is hardly a fair shot. While he is not very high on my list, to see his name compared to Cristobal is laughable. I won't be really upset if he is hired. There will be a risk of course, but other than having one of the Harbaugh brothers as our next HC, there will be risks involved.

Advertisement
He sucked so bad as an NFL head coach it became clear he's a career assistant coach. Nothing wrong with that.

I think its more of a "better options available" type of situation. Most people feel its better options available. The Butch crowd feels that if Chud is an option, you might as well go with Butch. After last season it was rumor about Golden being fired and Chud replacing him and everybody seemed to be on board with it. But I think the excitement was mostly about Golden possibly being fired.

He sucked so bad as an NFL head coach it became clear he's a career assistant coach. Nothing wrong with that.

One year at the pathetic Cleveland Brown and you labeled him sucking in the NFL? LOL
He is no Bill Belichick but the Great Belichick record at the Cleveland Browns was 36-44 over 4 years!!

Advertisement
I think its more of a "better options available" type of situation. Most people feel its better options available. The Butch crowd feels that if Chud is an option, you might as well go with Butch. After last season it was rumor about Golden being fired and Chud replacing him and everybody seemed to be on board with it. But I think the excitement was mostly about Golden possibly being fired.

That I totally understand. But I don't think other rising stars with limited coaching experience at a lower tier schools have much of an advantage over him.

Advertisement
So we're comparing Chud to Belichick and Schnellenberger now...got it.

No, they are comparing his experience/resume at this point in his career relative to theirs at the same point before they reached the height of their success.

So we're comparing Chud to Belichick and Schnellenberger now...got it.

Twisting my words to avoid defending the wrong statement you made? I started by saying he is NO Belichick. Still, the example stands. You used one year at a bad NFL franchise to say he failed in the NFL. I was saying anybody can fail at Cleveland.

Advertisement
The biggest concern would be his recruiting. That leaves alot to be desired. But his offense would actually be decent. I also think his one year run at being a coach, could be a fluke. He was in Cleveland. I mean that team is the cesspool of the NFL. No one has done crap there in 20 years. It's hard to knock him on that.

Sounds like Schnellenberger.

Chud isn't close to my top guy but this rationale is weak.

Not sure if you are serious about this comparison?

Chud has been a mediocre OC his whole NFL career. Howard was OC for the only undefeated team in NFL history. He was OC for Bear freaking Bryant and won 3 titles as OC there at Bama. Coached under George Allen and Shula.

Chud's resume pails in comparison. Smfh.

Advertisement

That I totally understand. But I don't think other rising stars with limited coaching experience at a lower tier schools have much of an advantage over him.

I agree.

Advertisement
Back