Rivals ranks King #3 among 2020 transfer QB's

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium

"King had an amazing season at Houston a few years ago, and he can really drive defenses crazy with his ability to extend the play. He should take the Miami offense to the next level and will make the Hurricanes much more dangerous because of what he can do on the run."

Jamie Newman #1 and KJ Costello #2. I get the Newman hype - what he did on a team like Wake Forest was exceptional. Not sure I get it with Costello as a guy that basically lost his job, although he does have some upside in Leach's O.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't understand all the hype for Newman at all. He played well at the beginning of the year... against super powers Elon, Rice and Utah State. After week 4 he completed 60% of his passes twice (against 4-8 NC State and 6-7 BC)
He wasn't exactly on a hot streak to close out the season either.
1-4 over his last 5 games
His completion percentage in those 5 games: 45.7, 42.9, 56.0, 46.2, and 44.4
He also threw for 6 TD with 6 ints and threw for LESS THAN 75 yards in 2 of those games

Where is the hype coming from?!

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't understand all the hype for Newman at all. He played well at the beginning of the year... against super powers Elon, Rice and Utah State. After week 4 he completed 60% of his passes twice (against 4-8 NC State and 6-7 BC)
He wasn't exactly on a hot streak to close out the season either.
1-5 over his last 5 games
His completion percentage in those 5 games: 45.7, 42.9, 56.0, 46.2, and 44.4
He also threw for 6 TD with 6 ints and threw for LESS THAN 75 yards in 2 of those games

Where is the hype coming from?!
Did you watch him play? A lot of that comes from subjective impression.

I think any qb with a pulse is going to put up numbers in the pirates offense.

Good point. I was mistaken in assuming they were just grading the player and then not realizing that the way they're measuring "Impact" would probably favor just pure numbers that a Leach QB will almost always put up.

Advertisement
King to me comes off as a guy that grinds relentlessly, is self motivated, and couldn't care less about rankings. In fact, I think it's just extra motivation for him. Keep "ranking" other guys ahead of him, I love it actually. Watch him work!

Advertisement
Good point. I was mistaken in assuming they were just grading the player and then not realizing that the way they're measuring "Impact" would probably favor just pure numbers that a Leach QB will almost always put up.
Also, look what a limited qb did for Georgia the last few years...how bad will the next guy be with that defense?

Costello is actually an unusual fit in a Leach offense. I am sure he will put up numbers, but he's more talented than what Leach usually has and he comes from a more traditional pro-style offense. Be interesting to see how he adapts and/or if Leach adapts the offense to him at all.

My sense is that Leach spent his entire career fitting players into his system, not the other way around, but I could be wrong as I have not followed him that closely. Insight appreciated on this point.

Costello is actually an unusual fit in a Leach offense. I am sure he will put up numbers, but he's more talented than what Leach usually has and he comes from a more traditional pro-style offense. Be interesting to see how he adapts and/or if Leach adapts the offense to him at all.

My sense is that Leach spent his entire career fitting players into his system, not the other way around, but I could be wrong as I have not followed him that closely. Insight appreciated on this point.
his qb last year threw it 689 times.
2018 662 times
similar numbers the years before.

he's looking for a qb to throw it 6-700 times...complete about 70% at 7-8 yards a clip.

his qb last year threw it 689 times.
2018 662 times
similar numbers the years before.

he's looking for a qb to throw it 6-700 times...complete about 70% at 7-8 yards a clip.

That was my point. Costello never threw it more than 413 times in a season at Stanford and averaged slightly more yards per completion. Also, maybe he has 6-700 attempts in him, but he has had multiple injuries over the course of his career,

Tweak the player to the system or the system to the player?

Advertisement
Back