Rivals Camp: WR v. DB

Brinson- Love the kid potential...lower grade Amari Cooper but has that sort of ceiling.

Brinson reminds me of Binjimen Victor. Long and lanky, really fluid and smooth once he gets going, but needs a runway to build momentum. I feel like he lacks explosiveness off the line and in/out of sharp breaks, which was something that set Amari Cooper apart.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Only play in that tape he wasn’t blanketed
Facts, he’s very raw. Also plays in an offense that only requires drags and slants of him.

I assume he knows this and that’s why he wants to be taught by Brian Hartline.

Would love his speed at the U but if he ends up at OSU think that’s a great place for him tbh.

Facts, he’s very raw. Also plays in an offense that only requires drags and slants of him.

I assume he knows this and that’s why he wants to be taught by Brian Hartline.

Would love his speed at the U but if he ends up at OSU think that’s a great place for him tbh.

Not saying you're wrong, but maybe the first top "raw" white WR prospect i've ever seen.

No love for Bobby Salla? Dude was putting the clamps on the WRs.
Ill give him an A for effort but he would have been flagged in almost every clip he was in but **** that could have been said about almost every db in those clips. But again got to love the dog in him as he didn't back down from anyone.

Advertisement
Why Brown over Brinson?

I'm not high on either of them tbh but Brown at least has a big, strong body and can make sharp breaks to come back to the ball. In Lashlee's offense he could be the X receiver to the boundary and run go routes and comebacks against physical corners. He's a slower Redding imo.

Brinson is tall and has great acceleration and speed but that's about it. He has a very thin build and doesn't respond well to contact or physicality. He will have a tough time making contested catches in college. He also doesn't show a lot of nuance to his releases and routes. He gears down to make cuts and clues DBs into his route breaks. Those warning signs are very reminiscent of some of the local busts Miami has recruited recently at the position. At best he turns into a poor man's Ahmonn Richards. I know most fans loved AR but he was very inefficient vs. physical press coverage, and Brinson is not as talented.

Not saying you're wrong, but maybe the first top "raw" white WR prospect i've ever seen.
Actually not disagreeing at all, completely on point with you haha

I'm not high on either of them tbh but Brown at least has a big, strong body and can make sharp breaks to come back to the ball. In Lashlee's offense he could be the X receiver to the boundary and run go routes and comebacks against physical corners. He's a slower Redding imo.

Brinson is tall and has great acceleration and speed but that's about it. He has a very thin build and doesn't respond well to contact or physicality. He will have a tough time making contested catches in college. He also doesn't show a lot of nuance to his releases and routes. He gears down to make cuts and clues DBs into his route breaks. Those warning signs are very reminiscent of some of the local busts Miami has recruited recently at the position. At best he turns into a poor man's Ahmonn Richards. I know most fans loved AR but he was very inefficient vs. physical press coverage, and Brinson is not as talented.

I know you’ve mentioned this before, but what’s your football background again?

I know you’ve mentioned this before, but what’s your football background again?

Played for 10 years at the youth level before concussions ended my career. I've been a student of the game since ~13 years old posting on forums and evaluating draft, then college prospects.

Like anyone I have biases for and against certain player archetypes. Sometimes I overrate WRs like B Brown who don't create a lot of separation but have the size and strength to win contested catches and attack zones in the middle of field. It's possible I'm underselling Brinson's projection but not a lot of guys win on raw athleticism anymore - if they ever did.

Advertisement
Played for 10 years at the youth level before concussions ended my career. I've been a student of the game since ~13 years old posting on forums and evaluating draft, then college prospects.

Like anyone I have biases for and against certain player archetypes. Sometimes I overrate WRs like B Brown who don't create a lot of separation but have the size and strength to win contested catches and attack zones in the middle of field. It's possible I'm underselling Brinson's projection but not a lot of guys win on raw athleticism anymore - if they ever did.

You seem to have a lot of technical knowledge of the game, thought you may have done this for a living

It seems like the names that have come up often for the CB board are on the smaller side: Knowles, McBurrows, Dawson, Burns Jr., etc. It's going to be extremely interesting come signing day to see what the final group will look like. I know there are already a lot of opinions on some of the bigger corners, like Collier for instance who most people seem to be pegging as a safety, but what about Jason Marshall? Besides the usual, "Oh he's not coming here", I think he might be one of the least discussed prospects, especially for someone so highly ranked. His recruitment is really quiet, it doesn't seem like he's making a ton of visits or attending a lot of camps, not much video lately. Is his rating warranted? Are people jaded from the likes of Stevenson, Campbell, Jobe, Surtain, etc.?

Romello Brinson is a former Hurricane commitment who opened things up after the FIU loss.

“I have teammates committed to Miami, so that’s one of my priority schools to go to,” Brinson said at Rivals Camp Miami. “I’ve been looking back into it quite a bit.”

Brinson said he’s talking regularly with coach Stephen Field and is getting acquainted with new offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

“I’m talking to them about the whole recruiting process,” Brinson said.

The spread fast tempo attack of Lashlee is appealing to Brinson.

“No doubt that helps,” Brinson said. “I want a fast, aggressive offense that wants to score every play they get the ball. That’s what I’m looking for.”

Brinson says he’s not listing any favorites right now.

“I’ve just been laying low, letting everything come to me,” he said.

Brinson said he anticipates a decision coming soon.

“I want to do it this spring,” he said.

Why is that?

“I want to get back on board,” Brinson said.

That sure sounds like the Canes are in good shape, but Brinson says LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee and South Carolina are also in it.

“I’ve seen all those schools, have none in front right now,” Brinson said.

Does he have a message for Miami fans hoping he comes back on board?

“Go Canes,” Brinson said. “Let’s get it.”

Advertisement
Romello Brinson is a former Hurricane commitment who opened things up after the FIU loss.

“I have teammates committed to Miami, so that’s one of my priority schools to go to,” Brinson said at Rivals Camp Miami. “I’ve been looking back into it quite a bit.”

Brinson said he’s talking regularly with coach Stephen Field and is getting acquainted with new offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

“I’m talking to them about the whole recruiting process,” Brinson said.

The spread fast tempo attack of Lashlee is appealing to Brinson.

“No doubt that helps,” Brinson said. “I want a fast, aggressive offense that wants to score every play they get the ball. That’s what I’m looking for.”

Brinson says he’s not listing any favorites right now.

“I’ve just been laying low, letting everything come to me,” he said.

Brinson said he anticipates a decision coming soon.

“I want to do it this spring,” he said.

Why is that?

“I want to get back on board,” Brinson said.

That sure sounds like the Canes are in good shape, but Brinson says LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee and South Carolina are also in it.

“I’ve seen all those schools, have none in front right now,” Brinson said.

Does he have a message for Miami fans hoping he comes back on board?

“Go Canes,” Brinson said. “Let’s get it.”

Dudes want to come to Miami but Miami has been making it really really hard

Jumbo looking to get a lot of south Florida talent on that A&M squad. Let’s see how it works. And dam near every kid from down here lists South Carolina as a favorite. They gotta be the fourth best team in their own division. Maybe worse.

Jumbo looking to get a lot of south Florida talent on that A&M squad. Let’s see how it works. And dam near every kid from down here lists South Carolina as a favorite. They gotta be the fourth best team in their own division. Maybe worse.
I know a lot of ppl up here related to ppl in Florida. I met mike Harley’s ppl in Columbia at a restaurant. Introduced themselves when they saw I had on a Miami shirt

Woulda liked to see Jacolby George out there?

Of the less mentioned/underrated names I thought these stood out

J.Mcdougal (Deerfield)
T.Gaskin (AH Delray)
T.Russell (STA)
Q.Skinner (STA)- I know we offered, but all his tape is blocking and practicing...Finally got to see him, he glides out there...See the potential now do it in pads.
D.Hill (Springs)
W.Frazier (Northwestern)- Still not sure he's a corner, but moved better than I thought he would.

B.Inniss and Alexis are the goods, but we knew that already

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back